Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 09:26 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times

Advertisements

Our family hasn't gone that far in planning. We are doing turkey and ham for Thanksgiving, I'm thinking a prime rib or something different for xmas. Or skip the big meal, and have a large brunch for xmas day and heavy pupus for the evening. TBD
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 09:30 AM

12,052 posts, read 8,436,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I have been in charge of roasting the Turkey for years. I set up the electric roaster on my workbench in the basement, and it is a Turkey breast or two rather than the whole bird.
Up side is the kitchen and oven are free for preparing all the side dishes.
Downside is this method will not provide the golden brown skin color desired for a 'carve at the table whole turkey' without the additional roaster option of a blower lid which will dry the skin to create the golden brown skin tone while roasting.
Since you're at your workbench you can use an old photographer's trick for a nice, brown breast.

Touch it up with wood varnish!

Old 11-14-2021, 09:37 AM

167 posts, read 162,744 times
Turkey for Thanksgiving, but at Christmas we will have a rib roast. We use to have ham but switched to the rib roast a few years ago.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:41 AM

3,277 posts, read 1,754,718 times
Growing up as a child it was; Thanksgiving turkey, Christmas turkey, Easter turkey. And by the time easter rolled around I was pretty sick of turkey. Nowadays, I'd like a nice big juicy porterhouse, medium rare. Or a Lobster with butter.

Ooh I know! A standing crown rib roast ! With dressing.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:45 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,941,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Since you're at your workbench you can use an old photographer's trick for a nice, brown breast.

Touch it up with wood varnish!
No! But my Dad had an Army Buddy who was an artist and worked in commercial advertising in the decades following WWII. He told lots of stories like this.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:36 AM

9 posts, read 4,021 times
Turkey at Thanksgiving and roast beef for Christmas.
I don’t care for turkey but since my sister usually hosts Thanksgiving (and she likes turkey) i am fine with it.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:02 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There are discussions about having or not having Turkey for Thanksgiving which many consider traditional.

For those of you HAVING a Turkey for Thanksgiving AND ALSO celebrating Christmas will you have a Turkey then or switch things up?
I switch things up. Typically do beef tenderloin for Christmas dinner.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:17 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
We will have our usual turkey with stuffing on Thanksgiving and ham on Christmas, with leftover ham cooked with black eyed peas and corn bread on New Years day

Old 11-14-2021, 11:28 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,068,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
standing rib roast
OMG you must be RICH! Seriously, even in Hawaii I can get turkey at a buck a pound. Rib roast, I have to tap the HELOC. Please tell me you have a meat thermometer! Happy Holidays!

Old 11-14-2021, 12:17 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,760,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
OMG you must be RICH! Seriously, even in Hawaii I can get turkey at a buck a pound. Rib roast, I have to tap the HELOC. Please tell me you have a meat thermometer! Happy Holidays!
Definitely a thermometer, which is why the timing is always critical and a PIA. Publix usually has standing rib $4-6 off a pound this time of year, I’m not sure if they will this year. I send all the left overs home with the kids, we aren’t the carnivores they are. Like turkey, once a year is enough and I won’t miss it this year, especially since I won’t have to cook it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement