Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 07:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Generally we have a turkey on Thanksgiving and a ham on Christmas. However, I am going to my daughter's house this Christmas so I have no idea what she'll have. Last year I was at another relative's house for Christmas and they had some sort of big buffet spread and to be honest, I don't even remember what sort of meat they had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 07:54 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
when I was a kid we used to have turkey for christmas day but somewhere along the line we switched to ham. Once in a while we've had roast pork or standing rib roast. I prefer ham but my kids wouldn't normally choose it. I'm divorced, so my kids are often with their dad on Christmas Day and I don't have any hard and fast christmas day traditions.

We have Swedish Meatballs for christmas eve. (mom is swedish)

Old 11-15-2021, 09:35 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I love turkey. We got our turkey free this year for spending over $100 at our store, which isn't exactly hard to do these days.

I like your idea of buying a few to smoke throughout the year. Turkey and grilled cheese sandwiches sound really delicious - I need to try that.

I've never gotten any of the turkey legs at the fairs so I didn't realize that they were that pricey but they always look pretty good.
The older I get the more I realize that my aversion to turkey is an aversion to Turkey the way the Matriarchs of the family would cook it.

Roasting a whole large bird for hours on end was ultimately a recipe for dry meat. Hence, the subsequent popularity of guys that would deep fry the turkey.

At some point, my Mom asked me if I could cook the turkey on the grill, basically smoking it...we did that and that's all we've done since. I fried them for a couple years as I had a frier as a gift, but it died after 1/2 a dozen uses.

This year I'll likely spatchcock the bird. If people want the visual of a whole roast bird, I'll get a plastic one and paint it with wood varnish.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:41 AM

654 posts, read 631,125 times
Hell no. Turkey is not a very good meal, compared to almost any other meat commonly available. Is it better than squab or racoon? Probably. Is it better than Chicken, pork or beef? No.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:43 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
We definitely be having turkey for Thanksgiving. Our Hindu friends will be joining us and they look so forward to it. They will most likely be spending the night with us on Christmas Eve. Our neighbors and another friend will be with us on Christmas Eve and that is sea food night with a great bottle of bubbly. Our Hindu friends don't eat beef so I may make another turkey dinner on Christmas day.

I love the left overs and the turkey soup and turkey pot pie. Oh and the hot and cold turkey sandwiches.

I have one turkey in the freezer now, although, I haven't been seeing a lot of them around. Christmas day may look different this year.

Old 11-15-2021, 10:43 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Growing up as a child it was; Thanksgiving turkey, Christmas turkey, Easter turkey. And by the time easter rolled around I was pretty sick of turkey. Nowadays, I'd like a nice big juicy porterhouse, medium rare. Or a Lobster with butter.

Ooh I know! A standing crown rib roast ! With dressing.
If it’s only the two of us for Christmas, DH has been asking for a big ol’ tomahawk steak. Twice baked potatoes and a yummy salad and dessert. I’m secretly hoping nobody will come.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:02 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
We're definitely having a turkey at the table for Thanksgiving. If he likes what we cooked, we'll invite him over for Christmas, too.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:06 AM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
We always did the entire turkey, stuffing, gravy, sides, etc for Thanksgiving. I make a mean chestnut stuffing! I do love cooking the Thanksgiving feast! But while the preparation is fun, the actual meal usually is a bit disappointing, and we always end up throwing a lot of it out by the end of the week. (Mostly because I make too much of everything!)

This year, our two adult kids have plans, so hubs and I are going to do a standing rib roast, with some type of vegetables and mashed potatoes. I may make a small chestnut stuffing on the side, we’ll see.

Christmas, our tradition has always been doing the big meal on Christmas Eve. We do the Italian Feast of the Seven Fishes, although we rarely end up with 7! Christmas day is usually kind of laid back, maybe lasagna or spaghetti or something easy.

Never did turkey on Christmas. Or ham, for that matter.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:14 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
No. I only do Turkey on Thanksgiving only. Christmas is something different every year depending on my mood. I did varous things with veal pretty regularly but it's also been ham, spaghetti or chicken pot pie, and even a Turducken once. We have a small family and it got even smaller after a divorce and the kids moving away. We don't fuss the holidays anymore. Only those of us who live close by get together, we see everyone else when it's easier to travel and more convenient.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:44 AM

35,069 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I highly doubt I will eat turkey for more than Thanksgiving lunch. I don't made turkey deli meat and turkey burgers, but not big into the whole Thanksgiving bird.

My guess is that Christmas will be ham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement