Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 10:04 AM

6,761 posts, read 5,061,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
All that to say, my hunch is a 80/20 would prove more profitable than a 50/50 in these times.
80/20 is roughly where I'm at. I'm not retired yet, but close enough that I'm already at my retirement allocation. For a long time I'd been planning on something like a 60/40 split during retirement. However, real returns from bonds will likely be negative for a long time, possibly the rest of my life, and I don't want to have an enormous amount in non-productive assets.

Returns from equities could be less than their long-run average over, say, the next ten years, but I very much doubt they will lag bonds over that timeframe.

Last edited by hikernut; 11-15-2021 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 10:07 AM

7,597 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
If you could theoretically live on 2/3 of your currently projected monthly SS, you will never run out of money. I could, and I consider the rest to be a bonus. Still looks like a good bonus regardless of the galloping inflation. I don't need to leave anything to anyone, and my life is one year shorter every year, which probably also factors into the who-cares attitude, inflation schimflation. And my retirement is based primarily on fixed income (laddered annuities)... but this year, I saved 1/4 of the annuity income, so enough room for 25% cummulative inflation until the first annuity ladder stepup kicks in, in 3 years. So, I am good with about 6% annual inflation for the next 3 years, without tapping anything else. Btw, I'd say that inflation expectation is probably realistic.

Yes, some of us are in the keep it simple stupid category. Unfortunately, I lost my stomach for the market about ten years ago because I felt 80 due to an accident. If you don't need a ton of money you don't need to take a ton of risk. Also, I suppose those that have a ton of money can take a lot more risk because 50% of their money in a down market is still a F ton of money (MathJak). Some of us have a lot of control over what we consume.

I agree 20% inflation of the last year cannot go on forever.

Old 11-15-2021, 10:52 AM

13,075 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Note:
IRRC
Christine Benz (Personal Finance, Morningstar), was a founder of Bglehaed, primarily an Index retirement forum.
IMO, she is covering her rear, just in case.
Even the founder, J.Bogle, said before he passed that future real growth worldwide (5+ years ago), will be less than historical average. He has been so far been incorrect, but the future isn't here yet.

Its not a bad stance since it encourages conservative lifestyle and less volatile investing. Those people who are secure in there current and future retirement ignore the scenario. Those who can't afford retirement, advice from pundits mean nothing. Those who are in the red zone and possible adequate retirement, need to think about this scenario.
YMMV

Old 11-15-2021, 10:58 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
the red zone does not effect the initial draw rate , only the allocation you use early on

Old 11-15-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yes, some of us are in the keep it simple stupid category. Unfortunately, I lost my stomach for the market about ten years ago because I felt 80 due to an accident. If you don't need a ton of money you don't need to take a ton of risk. Also, I suppose those that have a ton of money can take a lot more risk because 50% of their money in a down market is still a F ton of money (MathJak). Some of us have a lot of control over what we consume.

the less one has the more efficient use of it they need and that means at least running a conservative portfolio .

everything is relative to the draw you want .

my larger portfolio is identical in what it needs to have as an allocation to spin off x percent safely as someone with a much smaller portfolio .

we are no different in that respect ..

no matter how much is involved a 4% draw requires the same allocations to do it safely

Old 11-15-2021, 11:29 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

Did I miss something? 20% inflation? I thought it was 6-7%. What have you been reading?

Old 11-15-2021, 11:50 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Did I miss something? 20% inflation? I thought it was 6-7%. What have you been reading?
You are correct.

Many people greatly overstate inflation because they fixate on certain products they noticed had higher rates but don't consider how little a percentage of the average person's living expenses it is.

Old 11-15-2021, 12:21 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Here is a link to the actual study. Let me know if it works:

https://www.morningstar.com/content/...ent-income.pdf

The State of Retirement Income - Safe Withdrawal Rates

Written by:
Christine Benz
Director of Personal Finance and
Retirement Planning
+1 312 696-6325
christine.benz@morningstar.com

Quote:
A 4% starting withdrawal rate, with annual inflation adjustments to that initial dollar amount thereafter, is generally considered an appropriate level for retirees. Four percent has been the starting point for spending discussions since 1994, when financial planner William Bengen demonstrated that over every rolling 30-year time horizon since 1926, retirees holding a portfolio that consisted 50% of stocks and 50% of fixed-income securities could have safely withdrawn an annual amount equal to 4% of their original assets, adjusted for inflation.

Under those same assumptions, a 4% withdrawal rate may no longer be feasible. Because of the confluence of low starting yields on bonds and equity valuations that are high relative to historical norms, retirees are unlikely to receive returns that match those of the past. Using forward-looking estimates for investment performance and inflation, Morningstar estimates that the standard rule of thumb should be lowered to 3.3% from 4%.

This should not be interpreted as recommending a withdrawal rate of 3.3%. The conventions that underlie the withdrawal-rate calculations are conservative. They presume: 1) a time horizon that exceeds most retirees’ expected life spans; 2) fully adjusting all withdrawals for the effect of inflation; 3) a fixed withdrawal schedule that does not react to changes in the investment markets; and 4) a high projected success rate for the plan (90%).

As this paper will demonstrate, by adjusting one or more of those levers, current retirees can safely withdraw a significantly higher amount than the 3.3% initial projection might
suggest.

That said, it seems there is little question that current conditions demand greater forethought and planning than in the past, when lower valuations and loftier yields paved the way to higher future returns. Given this, many of today’s retirees will have to be more resourceful to support their income needs. With that in mind, this study examines practical ways in which retirees can make their savings last longer without compromising their standard of living and explores the trade-offs some of those techniques entail.

Morningstar Research
Nov. 11, 2021

Contents
Section I: Introduction/Research Goals
Section II: Historical Research
Section III: What History Says About Safe Withdrawal Rates
Section IV: What Is a Safe Withdrawal Rate for the Future?
Section V: How Flexible Withdrawal Strategies Can Help
Section VI: Identifying the Right Withdrawal Method
Section VII: Additional Portfolio-Level Strategies for Maximizing Retirement Income
Section VIII: Non-portfolio Strategies for Maximizing Retirement Income
Section IX: Putting It All Together

Christine Benz
Retirement Planning
+1 312 696-6325

Old 11-15-2021, 12:33 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
That's for my grandson's college .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-15-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Here is a link to the actual study. Let me know if it works:

https://www.morningstar.com/content/...ent-income.pdf

The State of Retirement Income - Safe Withdrawal Rates

Written by:
Christine Benz
Retirement Planning
+1 312 696-6325
the math shows otherwise …that because a swr is already based on the worst of times ..

thanks to the work of researcher michael kitces he spent the time actually studying the math behind things .

it takes as little as a 2% real return the first 15 years to have a 4% swr hold ….others who proclaim otherwise have not analyzed exactly what it takes to hold .

their assumptions are not based on the worst we have seen which is exactly what the 4% swr is based on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement