Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 05:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

To the OP. No one here can answer for you. I understand the process of talking things out.

I love being retired with no plan and no set thing to do daily. My wife not so much. She likes things far more structured. Knowing this and this is what I do today. Me not so much.

She gets herself up and showers and gets ready just the same as she did for years while working. I might or I might not get ready till 11 or on occasion not at all.

Reading that it might seem if we aren't all that compatible and there were bumps but we have pretty much worked it out. I try not to decide for us to do something at the last minute and she agrees to do things she otherwise not have been interested in doing as long as she gets time to plan it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 05:52 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
I regret retiring, so consider carefully.

You can always "go back to work," but seldom or never can you go back to what you left.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
I don't believe that EVERYONE can always go back to work in their late 60's. (or even early 60's)

Far from it.

A good number of people of these ages cannot even get interviews for jobs, and if they get an interview (sometimes a rare interview), they do not land the job.

A good number of people of these ages are not particularly employable.

And sometimes there is age discrimination or the person seems too aged.

I am not talking about the cream of the crop.

Many people do not want to be a Walmart greeter - nor should they.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
The only reason I can see to keep working is if one cannot afford to retire.

Not having to work is wonderful. I had a government job like the op. I don’t miss work at all.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:37 PM

5,766 posts, read 11,384,460 times
OP, do you enjoy your vacation time?

Let's just say you take 3 weeks vacation. This means completely removed from work - no work phone calls, work email or remote logging into work related stuff. After 3 weeks off work, do you dread going back to work? Or, are you bored and anxious to go back to work?

Do you have plenty to do to during a long vacation, and enjoy the freedom to do as you please? If so, that is a good sign that you would enjoy retirement.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
If you have a great job that you enjoy...

Utilize your options to dabble in retirement, while still working.

1). Paid vacations. Explore places and interests.
2). Volunteer opportunities. Many employers encourage and enable this, and often your career / employer can get you great PT volunteer gigs (I like overseas assignments, friends working in Government had lots of options I didn't qualify for.
3). Further your education into fields you might want to participate while retired. My employer had a lot of excellent in-house training.
4). Take sabbatical or time w/o pay. I took 3 long sabbaticals during my final 5 yrs of employment.
5). Investigate other work options that round out your life, interests, or career.
6). Do just what's required and nothing more. Take up some hobbies (music, language, mentoring...)

Realize that time is rushing on. Be prepared for change (health). Don't miss out on really important things that come up. (Which you may not know yet).

Stay flexible and light on your feet and responsibilities.

Enjoy the moment. (While at work or play)

Good luck, you will do fine.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:20 PM

7,621 posts, read 3,265,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Well I'm healthy and just turned 66 so in 2 months I'll reach my full SS retirement age and have a pension.
Just me and no debt to speak of so I'm trying to decide whether to retire or keep working.
My work with the government is not taxing on me so physically I can continue to work as long as I want to.
Anyone else gone through this give insight on their decision and what insight can you give in reflection of your decision.
Thanks

I'm a planner. I am starting to think about this now and I could decide to retire somewhere between 2023 to 2028ish. I think that is how I found this forum.

I liked StealthRabbit's list .

Also, I plan to live on my retired budget for a few years before pulling the trigger for the practice and cost savings.

You have no definitive timeline to need to decide as you can delay Social Security and get higher payments. You probably only need to give your employer two months notice at most. So, there is no detrimental timeline. I think if you have to ask you are probably not quite ready to retire and maybe take another year of reflecting on it before you pull the trigger (or reevaluate every year until you are ready). You gain 8% per year in SS by waiting and if you live to about 80/83 you come out ahead. If you live into your 90's you come way out ahead on SS. You come out ahead by working because it's just more money.

If you're old enough I don't see retirement as being this huge massive transition period. I would expect it to be a pretty seamless transition if you can afford it.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:54 AM

30,545 posts, read 16,240,407 times
Never thought I'd tell someone this but it sounds like you should keep working.

You have a decent paying job you seem to enjoy. You didn't mention anything about any interests/hobbies.

For me, I retired to keep my sanity. not exaggerating. I'd had enough. more than enough.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. When you should, you will know.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:21 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I suppose this is a case of the OP just wants help thinking out loud about this question.

Until s/he says more about how s/he feels about it -- their own thoughts -- what does it matter what someone else's considerations were.

Others have already pointed out some factors. I take it that with a pension and SS money is not a factor. Or should I say at least you have enough more the lifestyle you want -- and more.

So, OP,....do you want to retire or not?

Agree, the OP is thinking out loud.

He doesn't really give much info to even give an opinion that would help him decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Well I'm healthy and just turned 66 so in 2 months I'll reach my full SS retirement age and have a pension.
Just me and no debt to speak of so I'm trying to decide whether to retire or keep working.
My work with the government is not taxing on me so physically I can continue to work as long as I want to.
Anyone else gone through this give insight on their decision and what insight can you give in reflection of your decision.
Thanks

With a user name like outdoorman, I assume you like being outside. What kind of hobbies do you have?

Do you like to travel or are you more of a local homebody?

The fact that you're healthy is a good reason to put into the retire sooner because you could end up getting cancer before or soon after you retire, not having much retirement time. That's what happened to my dad. My FIL who was 72 at the time, did not retire yet when he was diagnosed with brain cancer that took him in 6 weeks. MIL was also 72, working part time still, when she was diagnosed with breast cancer for the first time (she fought 3 times) almost a year after losing FIL. She stopped working after that. Breast cancer took her a month before she turned 85. Thankfully, she was healthy between each cancer diagnosis, so she did get to enjoy retirement as much as she could without the love of her life.

My dad worked 6 days a week since coming to the US in 57. He was forced to retire after being diagnosed with diabetes and prostate issues. A year after being forced to retire, he started building a house 7 blocks away from me. They lived over an hour away. We had big plans, we would get to see each other almost every day, we were going to get a table at a local flea market to sell stuff from his business.

In 2005, his house was almost done. He had a prostate biopsy, never recovered. He thought it was from the anesthesia, turns out he had terminal Leukemia from chemicals at our gas and service station. He was admitted to the hospital a week before his 69th birthday. I had to do the house closing.

He fought 8 months. Thankful he was a few blocks away. It made it much easier to take him to his appointments 3 times a week when he wasn't admitted. He spent a total of 9 weeks admitted due to not having an immune system.

He did not have a good quality of life because the cancer and treatment effects drained his body. He felt useless except a few times he was able to help us by running a back hoe to dig out tree stumps and plant another tree. I made sure his last Thanksgiving and Christmas were extra special, he said they were the best he's ever had. It's very sad that he finally had the American dream, only to end up with terminal cancer, not get to enjoy his retirement.

Unfortunately, I know too many people that passed away while still working. The biggest shock was one of my sister in law's at 40 from a heart attack, then another SIL at 54. My BIL went home for lunch, found her dead on the kitchen floor.

My hub's friend lost his wife at 60 to COVID. They both had it, both hospitalized, no health issues.

My daughters grandmother passed away a year ago, she lived to a few months shy of 91. Thankfully she did not die from COVID. She came to the US in 1949. She hadn't worked since I knew her when she was about 60. She enjoyed going to Atlantic City, was fairly active until about 10 years ago.

My elderly neighbor retired at 65, he lead a pretty active life up until he passed away a few months shy of 90.

My first FIL had retired around age 53. He sold his business, they moved a few states away. He enjoyed many years of golfing and going on a week long fishing trip every year until he had a massive heart attack in his sleep at 63. It was a shock, but his own father had passed away at 55 from the same thing. Had he waited to retire, he would not have gotten those 10 years of retirement.

Unfortunately, I know more people that have passed away before or not long after retiring then people who did retire, had a few years to enjoy it.

Even though you are healthy now, you do not know what tomorrow will bring and if you will get another tomorrow. If you do get another tomorrow, your quality of life may not be the same as it was the day before.

I was forced to retire in my mid 30's when I injured my back 20 years ago. As I've gotten older, I've developed immune issues and allergies to things like medications, medication fillers and ingredients in vaccines. I've been forced to slow down. I used to be able to work in the garden but I can't spend as much time doing it, can't do it every day either.

It looks like COVID will be with us at least another year. My opinion is we will have to learn to live with it like it's another flu.

If it was me having to decide, I would look at my family tree, how old my dad was, also siblings and parents. Do the same for my mother's side. All of my family is in Europe still, they did not grow up or live long in a world where just about everything causes cancer. Most have passed away in their early 80's, which I don't think is realistic for me. You have to figure out what is realistic for you. Also how was their health and did anything run in your family. Since your male, did any have prostate issues later in life?

Hopefully I've given you something to think about with your own family and friends. How were they when it came time to retire? Did they get to retire and enjoy it?

Too bad we don't have a crystal ball that will give us the answer. You can leave it to a magic 8 ball if you can find one online lol

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-16-2021, 06:17 AM

6,463 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Agree, the OP is thinking out loud.

He doesn't really give much info to even give an opinion that would help him decide

Good luck with your decision.
Well stated, and I agree. The way I see it, you never know how much time that you have left. The last thing I wanted to see, in my obituary, was that I was a "faithful" 50, 60 year employee of the XYZ Corporation, yet nothing else. I felt that would be pretty sad, and combined with seeing my father dying in his 50s, after working hard all of his life, and without ever being able to enjoy any retirement at all, I retired as soon as I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement