Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 11:01 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times

Advertisements

Well I had a lovely dinner planned for the 2 of us and 3 friends. Unfortunately, the one friend's husband got sick and is hospitalized, and she was exposed to what he has and is contagious. The other couple got sick this week too. One of them got a cold and sinus infection, and just when she started to get better her spouse caught it, and now the doc says it's bronchitis and contagious. So now it's just the 2 of us, and I am scaling way back on all the sides and skipping the appetizers. Sure wish I'd been able to see the future and saved money by not spending $80-100 at the grocery store and $50 at the liquor store! I could've just bought us a couple turkey TV dinners. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 11:02 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Roast Turkey, Yorkshire puddings, mushy peas, butter beans, roasted potatoes, brussel sprouts, carrots, homemade cran relish.
English Trifle
Oh yum! You Brits!

Old 11-25-2021, 11:14 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Not a holiday here, but there are enough expat hangouts that the expat cafe owners create a spread.

So we are going to the H Bar (named for Henry, a Special Forces brawny guy) with our neighbor.

Last year he did turkey, mashed potatoes, corn pudding (wow was that good) and some veg. It was the best meal I've had in this country, so hope he does a repeat. Turkey is not a thing here, but you can get it occasionally---expensive.

He's the only place that offers dark beer, too. AND Long Island Ice Teas, lol. (danger, danger )

Old 11-25-2021, 11:57 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Turkey then turkey with a dollop of Mashed potatoes with a smidgen of stuffing.

All made with love

Old 11-25-2021, 12:25 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Broiled bacon, turkey covered in bacon, stuffing made with with rice, provalone and pecorino romano cheese, sausage, mushrooms, and Soppressata (Italian dry salami). Side dishes are yams covered with a mixture of cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, flour, chopped pecans and topped with pineapple slices and baby marshmallows melted on top; a broccoli and cheddar cheese custard; and mushrooms stuffed with a mixture of pecorino romano cheese, breadcrumbs, garlic, pepper and olive oil. For dessert home made pecan and coconut custard pies.

Last edited by bobspez; 11-25-2021 at 01:12 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 01:35 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
TBH, most of the traditional Thanksgiving dishes aren't personal favorites. I eat too much turkey to think of it as much of a treat. Detest most stuffing recipes and never ate it when offered. Cranberries? They look pretty but again, not a fave. What mattered about the meal was the occasion and the company, not the food. Don't know what I'll be eating tonight. Yesterday morning had a mishap with the microwave. Misread the directions' tiny print and scorched a veggie burger. The entire house reeks of charred grains and cheese. Its also 15 F outdoors so I haven't been able to clear the air very well. A pretty good appetite suppressor. If you're on a diet, scorching a veggie burger for yourself might be helpful

Whatever you plan to eat, have a good one folks!

Old 11-25-2021, 02:31 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
TBH, most of the traditional Thanksgiving dishes aren't personal favorites. I eat too much turkey to think of it as much of a treat. Detest most stuffing recipes and never ate it when offered. Cranberries? They look pretty but again, not a fave. What mattered about the meal was the occasion and the company, not the food. Don't know what I'll be eating tonight. Yesterday morning had a mishap with the microwave. Misread the directions' tiny print and scorched a veggie burger. The entire house reeks of charred grains and cheese. Its also 15 F outdoors so I haven't been able to clear the air very well. A pretty good appetite suppressor. If you're on a diet, scorching a veggie burger for yourself might be helpful

Whatever you plan to eat, have a good one folks!
Oh I love cranberry sauce - even better if I make it

But i am good with just dressing and mashed potatoes covered with gravy and a big scoop of cranberry sauce

That is what i ate.

Old 11-25-2021, 02:41 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Ham, mac and cheese w/ bacon, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, green beans, and a Fanta-coconut cake for dessert.

{/buuuurp}

Old 11-25-2021, 02:58 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Curious thing these days.

I went out on Monday night and got my turkey. An ex co worker didn't do his shopping, couldn't get a turkey, did manage to get a lb of beef, though.

I suggested if all else fails, there is always canned turkey and canned ham......he didn't have anything like that in his pantry. I just do because it is variety.

ANYHOW, the turkey is cooked, the wings are gone, and it is back under tin foil in the refrigerator for the next day. No pecan pie yet.....letting things settle first.

Old 11-25-2021, 03:28 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Was looking forward to Thanksgiving at daughter's inlaws. Woke up sick as a dog. So disappointed. Finally able to keep down a piece of toasted rye. I'm sure to have leftover turkey and the trimmings brought over by daughter tomorrow. Hope to be able to eat it before it spoils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement