Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 07:59 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times

Advertisements

Maybe you are not saying what you are thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
You are way off base. Your cognitive ability is wildly misinterpreting what I said, my outlook, and me, and what I think.

It's getting more and more difficult to post much in Retirement forum due to the wildly wrong interpretations, and misinterpretations of what is said and posted. It rarely is worth posting due to the varying cognitive levels and lack of comprehension of what is written.

I was replying to post #77 person who has been forced to give up all outdoor sports and outdoor physical activities.

What you posted is completely off base to what I posted, and shows no comprehension/cognition of what I was saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 08:28 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Don't let it bother you. I have taken some lickings because of my post - lol

Sibling is not frail at the moment. And it was another one that said that going shopping was a way to keep going.

I have found the comments interesting.
But I get the feeling you enjoy posting outrageous comments.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:18 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Keep Going in old age - what does that mean to you?
I know my answer is sort of ignoring the OP's post, but he did ask that question.

To me it means staying in shape and staying active and involved in the usual affairs (Affairs are different for everyone). So I'm working out, fixing things around the house, studying history and planning to be active for another 15 years. I'm 76.
If I don't make it to an active 91, that's fine. I will still try.
If I do make it, I'll keep right on doing what I'm doing.

I have a friend who shut down years ago. He's a couple years older than me and never leaves his apartment. His daughter shops for him. Drinks daily; smokes; follows local gossip.

I won't live like that.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:13 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
never mind, lol

Old 11-29-2021, 02:59 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
It’s an athletic event like a marathon. Keep running and outpacing the other participants. Step after step. Falling down and getting back on your feet. Passing the finish line. What’s on the other side? Only the time keeper knows for sure.

Old 11-29-2021, 05:42 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
It’s an athletic event like a marathon. Keep running and outpacing the other participants. Step after step. Falling down and getting back on your feet. Passing the finish line. What’s on the other side? Only the time keeper knows for sure.
That's a nice thought. But at some point, some of us just cannot keep up anymore. So outpacing others is not possible. But to keep going at whatever pace ... yes.

Old 11-29-2021, 05:52 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times
Quote:
This was brought up in a convo I had with some family members.

A couple are ill - heart issues, cancer.

One wondered what the cancer patient was doing today on Black Friday.

I said probably as usual - Black Friday shopping for things made in China.

One told me - well she has to keep going

I said and shopping at Target and WalMart for things you don't need means that you are keeping on?

Why not do something to help others
?

She is probably shopping for things to give to others, some older people do that, they just pickup things to give out to family and friends. Keep going, is to do whatever it takes to take your mind off things, however you want to do it. You are in the fight of your life, so do whatever it takes on your own terms, instead of just giving up and waiting for the sickness to overtake you.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:01 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Yes, genetics play a huge part, but so does your attitude.

My maternal grandmother is 85. She had to give up driving this year due to neuropathy in her feet. My aunt helps her with grocery shopping and some household stuff. Otherwise, and with a walker, she's pretty much able to take care of herself.

She's only really slowed down since age 80 or so. At 80, she was still living alone, taking laundry up and down the stairs, driving, going to church, doing her own shopping, etc.

My mother just turned 64. She retired at 62, but is doing less and less. There is a huge difference between where her mother was at 64 in 2000, and where my mother is today. Mom often does not get out of her pajamas, rarely does anything without my father's help, and won't even do her own laundry.

I don't think mom will be around at 70. Her sedentary lifestyle, obesity, and unwillingness to do any kind of exercise at all will be her downfall.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:33 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,177,234 times
Quote:
This was brought up in a convo I had with some family members.

A couple are ill - heart issues, cancer.

One wondered what the cancer patient was doing today on Black Friday.

I said probably as usual - Black Friday shopping for things made in China.

One told me - well she has to keep going

I said and shopping at Target and WalMart for things you don't need means that you are keeping on?

Why not do something to help others?
Maybe she's just trying to live her life as usual in the face of a serious illness. Why is that such a bad thing? I buy things at Target - things I need. Shampoo, laundry detergent, some food items, light bulbs, vitamins, etc. Why are you so judgmental that you think anything she buys there was made in CHina and she doesn't need?

Do you know for certain that she never does, or has done, anything to help others? Why is it a zero-sum scenario in your mind that if she's doing one thing, she can't do another? Some people just aren't the "helping others" type, and that's ok, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement