Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 03:47 PM

17,478 posts, read 16,654,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Stayed home. Watched Hallmark Channel Christmas movies.

Oh wait - also went to the store to buy dry dog food for my pups. They get the wet food and treats via Chewy. And I bought some more cranberry sauce to go with out leftovers. Also bought potatoes and onions. We go through those fast. And milk.
The grocery stores were pretty busy on Black Friday, probably no worse or better than Target or the pet stores.

I guess I'm not seeing much difference between the way you spent your day and the way the 70 year old lady spent her day. She may have bought pet food and grocery items while she was in Target along with the Black Friday deals she got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 04:01 PM

24,769 posts, read 11,102,386 times
Quote:
Stayed home. Watched Hallmark Channel Christmas movies.

Oh wait - also went to the store to buy dry dog food for my pups. They get the wet food and treats via Chewy. And I bought some more cranberry sauce to go with out leftovers. Also bought potatoes and onions. We go through those fast. And milk.
And that kept you going?

Old 11-27-2021, 04:15 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,108,805 times
Hard to believe anyone would begrudge an old woman with cancer doing what pleases her. Some people like to shop. Better that she go out shopping than lie in bed becoming weaker and weaker.

Old 11-27-2021, 04:16 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,311,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
And that kept you going?
well it kept my dogs going by being able to eat -

Old 11-27-2021, 05:49 PM

1,551 posts, read 1,205,621 times
[quote=TwinbrookNine;62396233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
To me it means to keep getting up every morning, and keep doing what you're capable of doing, however much or little that is.

OK. And, then what?
Exactly.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:05 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,987,712 times
[quote=TwinbrookNine;62396233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
To me it means to keep getting up every morning, and keep doing what you're capable of doing, however much or little that is.

OK. And, then what?
What do you mean, and then what? We are talking about a frail, ill, old person who will be dying soon. What do you expect them to do?

Old 11-27-2021, 06:26 PM

35,299 posts, read 17,191,932 times
During September I played tennis against a 95 year old. He was hard-of-hearing but otherwise played well.

Old 11-27-2021, 07:43 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,978,921 times
Quote:
hey the question in shopping and consumer products post was whether we had found turkey prices too high. And I said no - seemed normal.

So figured it was just hype about turkey prices
The thread may have been about turkey prices but your post was about you donating 4 of them. You didn't even mention how much they were a pound, just that they were $18 each.

Old 11-27-2021, 08:15 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,311,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
The thread may have been about turkey prices but your post was about you donating 4 of them. You didn't even mention how much they were a pound, just that they were $18 each.
omg - 18.91, 18.11, 18.89 and one was half price - 9.52.

They sold the first one at half price and the rest at regular price. They were about 15 pounds each?? The guy at the mission did help me get them out of my car.

So maybe more than a dollar a pound? I hope the families enjoyed them

Old 11-27-2021, 10:43 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,612,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
This vintage female, in her seventies does the following, some, all, part time

Walk, at least several times during the week

Volunteer one day

Attend worship services, to thank my LORD, hear what He to say, not forget to meet with others

Bible study one day

Enjoy meeting with friends, especially over a meal or cafe

Trying to decide what to keep, letting "stuff" go my children will not desire of my possessions

Daily maintenance of home

Devotions each day; reading the Bible, books, magazines I enjoy

Reading, Keeping in touch with family and friends far and near

Posting on City-Data

As a younger person, what do you do?
I'm 70. I walk 3 miles a day. Going hiking in the mountains of southern Mexico in January. Sit on the board of a larger charity as finance chair. Sit on the board of our local historical society. Doing a deep dive into philosophies, starting with Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, reading Spinoza, Kant, Nietzsche and modern ones like Harris, Dennett, Chomsky, and others like cosmologists like Sagan and Hawking. Writing my autobiography so my grandchildren will have some concept what a son of a refugee of WW2 (me) background was.

Active in the atheist community, encouraging people to learn critical thinking skills so they question claims made by "authorities", whether they are "sacred texts", destructive cults or populists. Better we accept this is the only live we have and will live, live it to the fullest, and know that when we die, it is better we accept we are nothing but worm food, rather than fantasize about some celestial being we will meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement