Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 07:54 AM

8,359 posts, read 6,449,014 times

Advertisements

At your age taking a big chance. Your aware of how long eternity is arent you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 08:19 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,074,248 times
"Keep going" to me means continuing to be vital and productive and fulfilling the purpose that I was given to do on this earth. Let's put aside the fact that the woman has cancer. I think OP meant to comment on the bigger picture here--not so much that the person has cancer and is shopping but to segue into the general issue of how we want to live our lives as we get nearer and nearer to the end. Our health issues might be limitations but they shouldn't stop us from living a meaningful life. They don't force us to lie around watching stupid TV shows all day and shopping on Amazon. I certainly don't want to spend my last years shopping on Amazon or watching stupid TV shows. That type of lifestyle has no meaning to me. It's not meant to be a judgment on the lady but simply a comment about the way we envision living our lives in our elder years. Why is it that everyone's opinion on C-D is always negated as being "judgmental"? I could easily say that these people who are accusing others of being "judgmental" are just as guilty of being "judgmental" too. check your own judgmental attitudes please.

And by the way, people with cancer are not all at death's door nor to be pitied like they are so much worse off than someone else. There are plenty of people with chronic cancers that are nowhere near going to kill them and they will likely die of heart disease before their cancer kills them. I know a man right now with prostate cancer who loves to wallow in the self pity of poor me, poor me, I have cancer, yet he is nowhere close to being terminal. How about watching an older person with COPD or heart failure, they are much worse off than some people with cancer.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:29 AM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times
How about everyone just do what they enjoy, and then not judge other people doing what THEY enjoy?

One would think those of retirement age would have learned that by now. But it's never too late.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-28-2021, 08:42 AM

18,148 posts, read 15,725,963 times
"Keep on going" aka "Keep on Truckin'" (as was popular in the early 70s)

Today it would be, "You Do You!"

Old 11-28-2021, 08:46 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,210,696 times
[quote=ansible90;62397955]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

What do you mean, and then what? We are talking about a frail, ill, old person who will be dying soon. What do you expect them to do?

I know really! I didn’t know if I was dying when I was going through cancer treatment but I knew what I needed to do while coping with that fear, while coping with the effects of the treatment, and confronting what sort of legacy I wanted to leave my family and friends if I didn’t make it. It’s unique to each of us so no need to go into specifics but it’s appalling that anyone can sit on their high horse and judge how they feel another person, particularly a cancer patient, should live their life or spend their money.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:50 AM

979 posts, read 419,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
How about everyone just do what they enjoy, and then not judge other people doing what THEY enjoy?

One would think those of retirement age would have learned that by now. But it's never too late.
People judge.

It's what we do.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
People judge.

It's what we do.
I think selecting what you judge is important. Someone else's activities? Probably shouldn't. Whether they get manicures? Probably shouldn't. Hair cut? Probably shouldn't.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:55 AM

11,147 posts, read 9,784,266 times
OP did sound pretty judge-y. As if there's something wrong with shopping on a traditional shopping day, when apparently everyone is supposed to be out there saving the world. And heaven forbid they go to a discount store to shop! And why is someone with a health issue begrudged doing whatever they want to do? The title of the thread, and the actual first post don't even seem related. What does shopping have to do with "keeping going in old age"? I don't get the connection.

I know lots of old people (I live in a neighborhood with several thousand old people), and they "keep going in old age" by doing whatever they are interested in, whether that is knitting, travel, volunteering, working, taking courses, teaching courses, reading, golfing, gardening, learning new hobbies (yay pickleball!), taking care of grandkids, or (omg no!) shopping at whatever damn store they please. Personally I'm 62, not old aged, so I'm not qualified to answer about myself.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakker View Post
I think my wife and I, 68/69 respectively need to find something safer to do. Yesterday we spent most of the day in the ER because she fell in the cement driveway and broke her nose. Last month we spent most of the day in the ER when I put a massive hole in my arm from an unseen jagged piece of metal while moving furniture. Before that I hurt my Achilles tendon when I fell down with a running chain saw while clearing a fallen tree in the backyard, or the time I fell and hurt my shoulder while carrying a full 5 gallon bucket of water down a sloping cement driveway in the dark, and let's not forget the hole I put in my chest while lifting a ping pong table out of the back of my truck by myself. All within the last year.

Maybe we should spend more time thinking about what we're doing before we do it. Maybe we (especially me) should remember that we're not 30 anymore. Naw, what fun is that? Now where'd I put that parachute?

It took my husband a bit to figure out he's not 20 anymore. One more surgery to go.

We took out the dirt bikes and a little side by side over the holiday and he didn't do any of them. Of course he is recovering from neck surgery, an injury from about 5 years ago when he rolled an ATV on top of him.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:20 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I'm 70. I walk 3 miles a day. Going hiking in the mountains of southern Mexico in January. Sit on the board of a larger charity as finance chair. Sit on the board of our local historical society. Doing a deep dive into philosophies, starting with Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, reading Spinoza, Kant, Nietzsche and modern ones like Harris, Dennett, Chomsky, and others like cosmologists like Sagan and Hawking. Writing my autobiography so my grandchildren will have some concept what a son of a refugee of WW2 (me) background was.

Active in the atheist community, encouraging people to learn critical thinking skills so they question claims made by "authorities", whether they are "sacred texts", destructive cults or populists. Better we accept this is the only live we have and will live, live it to the fullest, and know that when we die, it is better we accept we are nothing but worm food, rather than fantasize about some celestial being we will meet.
Perhaps you didn't read the OP. I will repeat... We are talking about a frail, ill, old person who will be dying soon. Are you in that category? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement