Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 04:58 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times

Advertisements

This was brought up in a convo I had with some family members.

A couple are ill - heart issues, cancer.

One wondered what the cancer patient was doing today on Black Friday.

I said probably as usual - Black Friday shopping for things made in China.

One told me - well she has to keep going

I said and shopping at Target and WalMart for things you don't need means that you are keeping on?

Why not do something to help others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 05:30 PM

30,817 posts, read 16,433,979 times
who's to say she isn't?

Just because she's shopping at those 2 stores doesn't mean that's her whole life.

and if her cancer is terminal she's entitled to think of herself 1st, imho.

actually even if the cancer isn't terminal.

her life, her choice on what to do with it.
judgement not needed.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:31 PM

24,962 posts, read 11,389,756 times
If that is something she enjoys - more power to her.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:47 PM

18,738 posts, read 33,541,338 times
Keep going to do that which one wants to do if however possible, whether older age/illness impedes. Keeping traditions or habits might well be at the top of the list.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:58 PM

33,386 posts, read 26,705,453 times
Keep doing what you want to do and can do.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:08 PM

740 posts, read 481,289 times
Keep Going in old age - what does that mean to you?

To me, that means that if a person is closer to death than they might wish, and understands that the grim reaper is taking measurements for a shroud-- unless their actions actively harm others, they should be indulged...

Case in point: my 83 year old mother who had never plucked her beautiful, natural eyebrows before, returned from her monthly appointment for manicure/pedicure with her eyebrows plucked by some kind of strings, from what she told me. It was a shocking look... fairly clownish . I kissed her cheek and congratulated her on her bravery in trying new things.

edit: Sometimes it may be unknown to others that an elderly/ill person is already involved in charity, helping others. Until my older sister gained access to my mother's financial accounts via 'joint ownership' (to protect my elderly mother from scammers), we had no idea that she was donating regularly for decades to charities involved with child welfare in developing countries around the world. She never mentioned it to us... she continues to donate. In the meantime, I hope her eyebrows grow back.

Last edited by herringbone; 11-26-2021 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-26-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
Keep Going in old age - what does that mean to you?

To me, that means that if a person is closer to death than they might wish, and understands that the grim reaper is taking measurements for a shroud-- unless their actions actively harm others, they should be indulged...

Case in point: my 83 year old mother who had never plucked her beautiful, natural eyebrows before, returned from her monthly appointment for manicure/pedicure with her eyebrows plucked by some kind of strings, from what she told me. It was a shocking look... fairly clownish . I kissed her cheek and congratulated her on her bravery in trying new things.

edit: Sometimes it may be unknown to others that an elderly/ill person is already involved in charity, helping others. Until my older sister gained access to my mother's financial accounts via 'joint ownership' (to protect my elderly mother from scammers), we had no idea that she was donating regularly for decades to charities involved with child welfare in developing countries around the world. She never mentioned it to us... she continues to donate. In the meantime, I hope her eyebrows grow back.
That is called threading

And my mom used to send money all the time to different charities

I'm thinking more hands on stuff

But my mom did that also.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That is called threading

And my mom used to send money all the time to different charities

I'm thinking more hands on stuff

But my mom did that also.
Exactly what 'hands on stuff' do you expect from an 83 year old or a cancer/ heart patient? These are frail people.

And good for your Mom! But giving in deeds or money is not a competition; it is an act of a loving heart. How do you know what other people are doing or not doing? You don't know, no reason to judge...

Last edited by herringbone; 11-26-2021 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-26-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
Exactly what 'hands on stuff' do you expect from an 83 year old or a cancer/ heart patient? These are frail people.

And good for your Mom! But giving in deeds or money is not a competition; it is an act of a loving heart. How do you know what other people are doing or not doing? You don't know, no reason to judge...
These people are 70. The comment made by the relative just seemed strange.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:13 PM

Well, whatever... googled 'threading.'

Dreadful. medieval torture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement