Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 11:12 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

It might vary from one state to another but in California if you die without a will the coroner is tasked with finding your next of kin. If they can't find anyone the coroner is charged with inventorying and selling property. The county ends up keeping the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 05:34 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
As I was communicating with her I felt she felt she was very near the end. So, I tailored my conversations with her as end of life (spiritual). I think she was at peace. In some cases death is a great relief.

I agree that she felt she was at the end of it but I didn't think that at all. She was recently diagnosed with the oral cancer. That takes time to spread.

She did have a thread in the health or cancer section. She could have fought it but she was bitter about being diagnosed because she lived a very healthy life style. I tried to explain that if her cancer was caused by the HPV virus that she could have gotten it when she was younger, she then had some sort of "event" where her immune system stopped fighting it, it turned to cancer like my hubs.

HPV positive oral cancers are very curable. My hubs was in his right tonsil, plus he had a golf ball over the carotid artery and a dozen lymph nodes in his neck. IIRC she only had a spot on her tongue.

It's not a cancer I'd want to die from where the tumor can block her airway. No thanks.

She could be laying in a hospice bed for months until it spreads enough to kill her.

I only got her first name. Had hoped she would include me in her final email but she left the forum suddenly to move, or so she said. Maybe she was on her death bed then, I don't know but my gut says no.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:01 AM

810 posts, read 870,441 times
I hope she'll feel comfortable enough to return to this forum. Her posts were valuable. In profile it shows she last logged in about eight days ago to have a look (sorry, OSE, don't mean that to be creepy; just basic human concern). I would welcome her update to this thread.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
I hope she'll feel comfortable enough to return to this forum. Her posts were valuable. In profile it shows she last logged in about eight days ago to have a look (sorry, OSE, don't mean that to be creepy; just basic human concern). I would welcome her update to this thread.

I had looked just before posting when I bumped it, she hadn't logged in since before she moved. Glad to hear she's recently logged in. Wonder why she didn't say hi?

Normally I would look before writing all I did up there but didn't this morning, of course lol

Ok Old School, now we know you're ok, why not say hi?

Old 03-26-2022, 11:37 AM

7,506 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I agree that she felt she was at the end of it but I didn't think that at all. She was recently diagnosed with the oral cancer. That takes time to spread.

She did have a thread in the health or cancer section. She could have fought it but she was bitter about being diagnosed because she lived a very healthy life style. I tried to explain that if her cancer was caused by the HPV virus that she could have gotten it when she was younger, she then had some sort of "event" where her immune system stopped fighting it, it turned to cancer like my hubs.

HPV positive oral cancers are very curable. My hubs was in his right tonsil, plus he had a golf ball over the carotid artery and a dozen lymph nodes in his neck. IIRC she only had a spot on her tongue.

It's not a cancer I'd want to die from where the tumor can block her airway. No thanks.

She could be laying in a hospice bed for months until it spreads enough to kill her.

I only got her first name. Had hoped she would include me in her final email but she left the forum suddenly to move, or so she said. Maybe she was on her death bed then, I don't know but my gut says no.

Well we had completely different impressions then. One of her posts made her situation sound far more dire than what you are describing (or else I would not have felt she was end of life). My impression was she was actively dying and trying to settle her affairs.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:05 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Was wondering how the OP is doing. I'd sent her a message a month or so ago, no answer.

Can't believe she went from posting a lot to nothing. I guess we helped her enough.

Last she posted, she was moving all of a sudden, was going to be back in 2 weeks but she was also dealing with oral cancer which she decided not to treat which I did not agree with. My hub fought it too, has been cancer free since Christmas eve 2009.

I figured we'd be left hanging, not knowing what happened to her after some of us bonded with her. I hope she found peace whether she's alive or not.
Her profile shows last activity 3/18/2022

Old 03-28-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Well we had completely different impressions then. One of her posts made her situation sound far more dire than what you are describing (or else I would not have felt she was end of life). My impression was she was actively dying and trying to settle her affairs.

Read her two threads. I'm on my way out or I'd bring a few quotes over. Just don't have time.

Her cancer sounded worst in this section then in her two threads, to me anyway. I don't think she even had a full body PET scan.

Cancer and Chronic Constipation 12-09-2021, and the thread Tongue Cancer Question 12-17-2021,

Old 03-28-2022, 01:25 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Donate your estate to an organization (library, senior center, animal shelter, etc.) and make them the executor.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:01 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
In Michigan the Probate Court will solicit for the role of Executor or Personal Representative if there is no one named by the deceased. I believe they are allowed to be compensated, and I suspect it is a task undertaken by newly licensed Attorneys.

We learned this when my M-I-L passed 2 years ago. She named my wife as her Executrix, but we asked the question of Probate out of curiosity.

Our Estate will be managed by our Attorneys. Both sons live out of State and it is a tough job to do from a distance. We live across the State from where my M-I-L lived, and my wife had a lot of phone time and many early morning long commutes to match her arrival time with Probate Court hours.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:54 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What's wrong with that, really?

I honestly couldn't care what happens to my remains when I die. Does anyone else feel the same way?
I do. Here they cremate unclaimed bodies and put you in a nice crypt with other unclaimed. I don't even care about the nice crypt. Just put my body or ashes somewhere that they're not bothering anyone, and I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement