Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 02:33 AM

272 posts, read 166,266 times

Advertisements

I’m getting to a stage in my life where it looks as if the person I named as executor will predecease me. I have no debt, have final arrangements taken care of, and (maybe obviously) have no dependents. I have no pets. If I choose not to go to a lawyer and, like, just kick the bucket with affairs as described here, what will happen to my very small estate?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 04:38 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
first if all dont assume it will be a small estate .

your death may be the result of an accident , a medical malpractice issue , a wrongful death case , etc ….

it can be a real pain in the butt for heirs to deal with breaking things up . you dont need an executor but it is highly recommended

Old 12-05-2021, 05:38 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Estate issues vary by state. What may be true for where I live may not apply to where you live.

As for assets don't overlook your house if you own it.

If your will doesn't specify an alternate executor (PAhippo or if PAhippo predeceases me, mathjak107) it might go to your designated executor's next of kin.

Or just default to some govt. body like the state.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:38 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
I’m getting to a stage in my life where it looks as if the person I named as executor will predecease me. I have no debt, have final arrangements taken care of, and (maybe obviously) have no dependents. I have no pets. If I choose not to go to a lawyer and, like, just kick the bucket with affairs as described here, what will happen to my very small estate?

Thank you.
You could add a codicil to your will naming a lawyer as a backup executor. You can specify an amount for payment or a percent of the estate.

You may have final arrangements taken care of, but somebody needs to know that and know who to call when the time comes.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You could add a codicil to your will naming a lawyer as a backup executor. You can specify an amount for payment or a percent of the estate.
A funeral director suggested this to me recently, and I asked the attorney if he would accept the job on a contingency basis (I don't know the term for contingency when you're... dead!) He never called back, so maybe it's time to ask someone else.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Or just default to some govt. body like the state.

I'm from PA too and as a Medicare recipient would actually not mind this at all. I asked my funeral director if I could leave (ha) everything to him to finance some of his charitable immediate burials, but he didn't offer to act as executor.

So, yes, the guv'mit can have it. Thank you very much for the reply.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
first if all dont assume it will be a small estate .

your death may be the result of an accident , a medical malpractice issue , a wrongful death case , etc ….

it can be a real pain in the butt for heirs to deal with breaking things up . you dont need an executor but it is highly recommended
What's the legal inverse of liability-proof when it comes to single people with nobody to sue anyone at all in any dire case? That term, whatever it is, would be me.

Thank you for giving me a chuckle

Old 12-05-2021, 08:26 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
A funeral director suggested this to me recently, and I asked the attorney if he would accept the job on a contingency basis (I don't know the term for contingency when you're... dead!) He never called back, so maybe it's time to ask someone else.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
You might look for an attorney who specializes in "elder law."

Old 12-05-2021, 08:35 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
My guess is the state would appoint someone to administer your will.
Question is how will they find your will?
In some areas you can put a list of drugs and other medical info on your refrigerator so emergency personnel can find it. Might add your will to this.
I think I would call your county probate office and ask what they do. It would not surprise me that what they do varies by county.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Question is how will they find your will?
I have had it sticking up from a vase for years. You have to be inventive when you’re alone, so make it part of the decor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement