Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 11:54 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

.........you would be what you are, like maybe a crazy cat lady?

Me, I don't think so. Of course, I didn't think or at least lived in a fantasy world that I wouldn't make it past 50......which meant when I turned 50, I had to do some massive mental reprogramming to change that "prophecy".

So, when you were younger, did you think you would be what you are today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 12:06 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
When I was 19, I smoked cigarettes (always had a pack in the front pocket of my jean jacket), I went to lots of parties, dated a ton and thought I was pretty hot stuff to be honest. No way did I ever envision myself as a conservative 55 year old, wife, mother and early to bed, early to rise homebody like I am today. I also thought I would never, ever allow myself to put on extra weight but I've done that, too.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:33 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
TBH, I'm not much different than I thought I'd be, but I didn't waste too much effort trying to predict the future either.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:11 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I didn't expect to live past 25, ecological disaster or nuclear war or personal despair.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:23 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,084,533 times
yes and no. first yes I thought I would at least make 60 but beyond that there was not much of a thought. what did I think life would be like when I reached 60? well based on the cartoons I watched I thought maybe the Jetsons pushing a button for Spacely Sprockets. we were fed a lot of different ideas of what life would be like in the future.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:26 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
When I was 19, I smoked cigarettes (always had a pack in the front pocket of my jean jacket), I went to lots of parties, dated a ton and thought I was pretty hot stuff to be honest. No way did I ever envision myself as a conservative 55 year old, wife, mother and early to bed, early to rise homebody like I am today.
This. lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-08-2021, 03:28 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Naw, I never thought about it. I did think there would be a cure for cancer and so I wouldn't have to worry about that. I thought the world would be peaceful and wonderful--hahahahaha, was I ever wrong about that.

They kept telling us how much better things would be. Man on the moon, open heart surgery, computers, somewhere we started to regress. Things started getting worse instead of better. As for me, I still love animals, gardens, travel, learning, the arts, moderate politics on a case by case basis, still the same person. Guess I didn't progress much but I'm still just me.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:37 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,130,043 times
People in our family always told me I was a lot like my maternal grandmother. She was quite a lady, and as much as I can remember her ( she died when I was 12), I considered it quite a compliment.

She died at age 73, when she was visiting us, from complcations of chronic emphysema. I always thought that I would also die at age 73, don't know why, just did. But I turned 74 this past summer, so I guess I was wrong about that. I am not surprised at this turn of events, I think I am healthier than my gramma was at this age, thanks to the medical technology and advances that were not available in 1960 when she died.

What I really never expected, and never would have envisioned when I was younger, is that my sister ( my Irish Twin, 11 months younger than me) would die at age 73. But she did, unexpectedly, about a month ago.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I didn't think I'd be a widow at aged 58. I expected to at least live till my early 70s still married to my husband. Not to be though. This has been a huge adjustment on my part.

And don't even get me started on the pandemic.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:24 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't think I'd be a widow at aged 58. I expected to at least live till my early 70s still married to my husband. Not to be though. This has been a huge adjustment on my part.

And don't even get me started on the pandemic.
I can't think all that's happened to you is something any of us would be capable of processing as thoughts or possibilities in our early years when we're looking at our lives as endless possibilities stretching out before our young selves.... at least I know I couldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement