Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 08:22 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

The Firestone Christmas albums. Yep, the tire company. In the 60’s they put out a new album yearly. We had them all, and my dad had the console stereo additional speakers wired in the game room. At the Christmas party, he’d load up the spindle with several Firestone records, and let them play, and then on the next trip for ice, flip them….

Old 12-12-2021, 08:56 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned "The Hallejulah Chorus" from Handel. Here's fun rendition from a flash mob in a shopping mall. I'd love to be surprised while shopping some day by all these fine voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

This always makes me grin. The singers are having such a good time and it looks like it's catching. A holiday gift.

The song also reminds me of when I was a Freshman in a small Lutheran College in Iowa. We had a mass chorus to sing this song and invited an orchestra from Illinois to come help us. It was an ambitious accomplishment.

There is something powerfully satisfying about singing with others in harmony.

But what really put us all in mirth in this strict little college performance was the rotund, red-faced professional trombonist who was obviously full of holiday cheer during morning rehearsal and truly roaring drunk by the evening's presentation. Something a little new to us. Well, unforgettable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 11:15 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned "The Hallejulah Chorus" from Handel. Here's fun rendition from a flash mob in a shopping mall. I'd love to be surprised while shopping some day by all these fine voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

This always makes me grin. The singers are having such a good time and it looks like it's catching. A holiday gift.

The song also reminds me of when I was a Freshman in a small Lutheran College in Iowa. We had a mass chorus to sing this song and invited an orchestra from Illinois to come help us. It was an ambitious accomplishment.

There is something powerfully satisfying about singing with others in harmony.

But what really put us all in mirth in this strict little college performance was the rotund, red-faced professional trombonist who was obviously full of holiday cheer during morning rehearsal and truly roaring drunk by the evening's presentation. Something a little new to us. Well, unforgettable.
Well, I was just about to mention it, but you beat me to it! Thanks for sharing this flash mob---WOW. I got tears in my eyes just watching/listening to it. Wonder how long these choral folks had to practice. Incredible voices! Even in my agnostic years, I loved Handel's Messiah.

I also like "What Child is This", which is also "Greensleeves" and "How the West was Won". Love them all!!

Old 12-12-2021, 11:28 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
I really like a lot of Christmas music from the "old days" right up to the 1980's.

My #1 favorite:

Sleigh Ride (instrumental) by Leroy Anderson and his orchestra.

Some of my other fave's:

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas - Bing Crosby
Wonderful Christmastime—Paul McCartney
Santa Claus Is Coming to Town—Bruce Springsteen
Holly Jolly Christmas—Burl Ives
Here Comes Santa Claus—Gene Autry
Jingle Bell Rock— Bobby Helms
Ring Christmas Bells—Ray Conniff
Merry Christmas Baby - Bruce Springsteen

Old 12-12-2021, 11:47 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I like all the traditional songs especially Little Drummer Boy but a CD I like is James Brown's Funky Christmas.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:40 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Now who doesn't like "Grandma got run over by a reindeer:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgIwLeASnkw

Old 12-12-2021, 02:18 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Greensleeves (What Child Is This)
Virgin Mary (Mason Williams)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omaPS0IzxQ

Old 12-12-2021, 02:53 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
My favorite is the NOW Christmas Classics CD or similar CD which features all the old legends from the 1940s/1950s, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Burl Ives, Judy Garland, Nat King Cole, etc. singing mostly secular songs. But looking at their recent CDs, I notice they are replacing some of my favorite artists with newer ones. Josh Groban and Kenny Rogers are now listed. Yuck!

Old 12-12-2021, 03:13 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
I'm one of those people who doesn't care much for Christmas music. We had "Merry Christmas" by Johnny Mathis when I was a kid. I don't recall what else; we mostly listened to classical radio in the house. I know my dad had a Diana Krall Christmas music CD at one point in recent years.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I used to think that same thing. Then the radio station I listen to while I walk went to all Christmas music just before Thanksgiving. It has made me realize just how much really bad Christmas music there is out there. Unfortunately I can't find another station to tide me over, so I listen to the good songs and hit the off switch when the bad ones come on.
That's why I stream instead. No interest in hearing "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" or that horrible ghastly song about the boy buying shoes for his dead mother.

I'll stream a variety of music from classic to contemporary. It may include Rod Stewart but it won't include Mariah Carey. Or Wham!

Windham Hill Orchestra has beautiful peaceful music I'll stream on a snowy day. If we ever get some snow here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement