Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2021, 01:47 PM

7,350 posts, read 4,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Seems as if the many threads about how much you need to retire on and the arguments that you really don't need what others say you do have been replaced about ones on inflation eating into income/buying power.

Seems like a number of forum participants are seeing their lifestyle change as inflation eats into their income stream and forces changes in options.

Is it possible that folks underestimated what they needed to retire on and that perhaps some of the published guidelines etc had more validity then they were given in thread discussions?
As others have pointed out much depends on your investments. My husband's employer IRA grows very, very slowly. Our personal IRA is growing very fast.

My mother died in 2018 with social security and a pension which came to $2,500 per month. She also had $250,000 in an annuity (her entire savings). She paid off her mortgage and had reasonable property taxes under $3,000 per year. $30,000 a year was more than sufficient for her lifestyle.

My in-laws had about $500,000 in IRA/saving which was invested badly - they took a huge hit during the dot com bubble. They lived in a rented condo which is paid by social security and pension. Their food and expenses come from savings. There is not a extra cent for luxuries.

Part of their $500,000 savings was from the sale of a 1930's two family house in Brooklyn. If they had kept it and rented out both units, they would be raking in $5,000 or more a MONTH. They tend to be impulsive with their finances. The result is they are living very close to the edge financially.

It all depends on your investments and spending habits. My mother was more frugal than my in-laws. I'm not sure if renting is the best option for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 01:48 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Proper retirement planning calls for an inflation adjustment yearly on income .

If your pension does not have cola adjustments you need to allow for it as well as keep in mind anything linked to the cpi will not match anyones personal cost of living either so provisions need to be made .

Usually amounts saved are in todays dollars and assumes a 90% chance of lasting when inflation adjusted .

However many seniors DONT INVEST OR INVEST PROPERLY and so they put themselves at the greatest risk to the ravages of inflation

The market has done exceptionally well for 25 years, which does not mean much in the history of the US economy (people had "invested properly" in the 1920s, but somehow that had turned out not to be so proper in the subsequent decade :-). You had an uncommon success with a highly speculative real estate deal in Manhattan, and I understand your wife received a substantial inheritance. That does not equal ordinary "proper investing" but excellent luck, so tone down the preaching please :-). Other people have an average luck, but that does not equal putting self at the greatest risk to the ravages of inflation. People do not live forever, and generally do not need full self-support from independent means for more than 30 years. I know of exactly nobody that had been ravaged by inflation even in the 1970s (I know of people who did spectacularly well selling their home post-inflation in the mid 1980s). If people get ravaged by inflation in large numbers, that will signify something much worse coming up than the ravages of inflation (see Weimar Republic), but hopefully we are not heading there. The inflation will be annoying for a few years, but it will not be ravaging even if it reaches the 1970s levels.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
This current information below outlines what a federal government employee receives.

Employees under FERS receive retirement benefits from three sources: the basic benefit plan, Social Security, and the Thrift Savings Plan, or TSP.

If someone could speak to the first source a federal employee receives which is Basic Benefit Plan and how apparently it is a set amount regardless of the amount they have contributed. ~ (it would be helpful to have this clarified)

The basic benefit plan is a pension in which the employee receives a set amount, regardless of the amount they have contributed.

"What Is the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) and How Does It Work?"
By TIM PARKER Updated December 22, 2020
https://www.investopedia.com/article...es-it-work.asp

"The Federal Employees Retirement System, or FERS, is the retirement plan for all U.S. civilian employees. The plan covers all employees in the executive, judicial, and legislative branches of the federal government.

FERS, however, does not cover military personnel or employees of state or local governments. Employees under FERS receive retirement benefits from three sources: the basic benefit plan, Social Security, and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).

KEY TAKEAWAYS

The Federal Employees Retirement System, or FERS, is the retirement plan for all U.S. civilian employees.

Employees under FERS receive retirement benefits from three sources: the basic benefit plan, Social Security, and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).

The plan covers all employees in the executive, judicial, and legislative branches of the federal government but not military personnel or employees of state or local governments.

Basic Benefit Plan

The basic benefit plan is a pension in which the employee receives a set amount, regardless of the amount they have contributed. The amount depends on the length of service and the "high-3" average. "High-3" refers to the highest three consecutive years of service. Often, those are the last three years you worked, but if you held a higher paying position earlier in your career, your high three could be during that time.

This calculation only takes into account your basic salary. Your years of credible service are reported on the SF-50 form you receive at least once per year. Then, the agency you work for adds a 1% multiplier to your high-3.4

However, employees who are 62 or older with at least 20 years of service will receive a multiplier of 1.1%. 4 The formula for the basic benefit plan is as follows:

High-3 Salary x Years of Service x Pension Multiplier = Annual Pension Benefit

If you worked for 25 years and earned $75,000 per year, your monthly payment would be around $1,560, according to the formula.

Social Security

Unlike some public pension plans, employees covered under FERS pay into the Social Security fund at the same rate as private employees. Anybody paying into Social Security will pay 6.2% of earnings with the agency matching the contribution.

If you were born in 1975, earn $50,000 per year, and plan to retire at age 65, your estimated payments would be about $3,000 per month adjusted for inflation ($1,500 in today’s dollars).6

Thrift Savings Plan

Think of the Thrift Savings Plan as a 401(k). Congress established the TSP in 1986 and it offers the same types of tax benefits and savings as a 401(k).7 Each pay period, the agency you work for deposits 1% of your basic pay into your TSP. On top of that, you have the option of making additional contributions, which your agency will match (up to 5% of your pay).8

These extra contributions are tax-deferred and administered by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board. Just like a 401(k), you can choose how these funds are invested. Upon setting up the TSP, you will be given a list of fund choices.9 8

If you earned $40,000 and had agency contributions of 5% and a 6% rate of return, after 30 years of service, you would have earned about $335,200, or about $1,400 per year for 20 years. Because the TSP does not function as a pension like the basic benefit plan and Social Security, your earnings after 30 years would be based on the funds you choose, the amount of money you contribute above the amount your employer deposits, and market conditions that are outside of your control.

Just like a 401(k), there is a limit to how much you can contribute to your Thrift Savings Plan.10 Because your agency only matches up to 5%, speak to a trusted financial advisor about how to invest additional funds. It might be better to invest non-matched funds into an IRA or other investment vehicle.

"The biggest federal employee mistake I see is not contributing up to the 5% agency match. Simply choosing to contribute 5% and leaving it in the G-Fund will guarantee an automatic 100% rate of return. No investor can consistently beat that," says Cooper Mitchell, president of Dane Financial LLC, in Springfield, Mo., and creator of FedRetirementPlanning.com."

If people could speak to the 'Basic Benefit Plan' described in the article where "the employee receives a set amount, regardless of the amount they have contributed" and is based on salary and years of service - while the 'Thrift Savings Plan' segment of the federal employee set-up is similar to a 401(k) with deductions from one's paycheck.

Clarification is needed.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-17-2021 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-17-2021, 01:57 PM

7,350 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
(I know of people who did spectacularly well selling their home post-inflation in the mid 1980s).
I know many people who sold their house in the early 1980's when home prices were rockbottom. I brought my house at the height of the market, just before the 2008 housing crash. I sold it for less than I paid. A friend brought a house and with in year, discovered the foundation had to be replaced. It costed $30,000 in 1995 or about $55,000 in today's dollars.

There is so much luck involved in real estate.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:07 PM

2,346 posts, read 614,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
What the heck do you eat to spend that little and how much do you eat????
Last week I spent $30 just on fruits and veggies.....plus $19 for a pound of roast beef,1/2 Lb. of salami and 1/2 of ham.I do shop at Publix in Miami(not cheap) but still....it frustrates me
That person said no meat, no alcohol - in a post a page or 2 back

Old 12-17-2021, 02:15 PM

7,122 posts, read 4,540,768 times
I spend between 150-200/month on groceries. I eat meat daily. I don’t drink alcohol. This is in a medium COL. Luckily we have Winco which is only in 5 states.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:19 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I spend between 150-200/month on groceries. I eat meat daily. I don’t drink alcohol. This is in a medium COL. Luckily we have Winco which is only in 5 states.
I've never been to a Winco, or an Aldi's.

Food is MUCH cheaper here than Hawaii.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-17-2021, 02:30 PM

7,122 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Mikala, next time you come to Reno there’s one on the south end. It’s a employee owned company and a big store.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:38 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Mikala, next time you come to Reno there’s one on the south end. It’s a employee owned company and a big store.
Roger that! Be that way in January and we'll check it out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-17-2021, 02:40 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The market has done exceptionally well for 25 years, which does not mean much in the history of the US economy (people had "invested properly" in the 1920s, but somehow that had turned out not to be so proper in the subsequent decade :-). You had an uncommon success with a highly speculative real estate deal in Manhattan, and I understand your wife received a substantial inheritance. That does not equal ordinary "proper investing" but excellent luck, so tone down the preaching please :-). Other people have an average luck, but that does not equal putting self at the greatest risk to the ravages of inflation. People do not live forever, and generally do not need full self-support from independent means for more than 30 years. I know of exactly nobody that had been ravaged by inflation even in the 1970s (I know of people who did spectacularly well selling their home post-inflation in the mid 1980s). If people get ravaged by inflation in large numbers, that will signify something much worse coming up than the ravages of inflation (see Weimar Republic), but hopefully we are not heading there. The inflation will be annoying for a few years, but it will not be ravaging even if it reaches the 1970s levels.
25 years ? Nope that is not true when it comes to retirement cycles .nor do you understand what is meant by proper investing in that regard if that is your answer .

Out of the 130 rolling 30 year retirements we have had so far since 1871 , only 6 failed to last at a 4% swr with at least 40% equites . So when it comes to retirement that is what is meant by proper investing .

Less than 35% equities failed far to many times to be considered safe

The failures would have been those who retired in 1907 , 1929, 1937 , 1965 and 1966 .

No other time frames were a problem.

90% of those cycles had you end with more than you started with and 2/3s of them had you end with 2x what you started with

You may have ended with a smaller balance left over in some but but 4% adjusted for inflation held up just fine , just as a pension would have, except in all but 6 cases it left a nice balance left over as well .

For the record , my wife didn’t receive an inheritance…she ended up having to buy her share in a family business because her share was questioned by the courts because of defective wills and trusts and she had to buy out some estranged step children and never got an inherited share .

I mentioned that a few times in the will and trust discussions .

As far as luck in my real estate venture ? That was carefully calculated and orchestrated to work out the way it did .

Success is where luck and preparation and a plan meet

So you got all that wrong too.

Perhaps stick to what you know as you stated many times you dont know investing

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-17-2021 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement