Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 12:25 PM

2,408 posts, read 1,525,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Oh, come on. Most of us do NOT retire at 50 or anywhere near that.

I bowed out at 55. It's doable depending on your lifestyle. For me it wasn't much of an adjustment at all.

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 12:36 PM

7,076 posts, read 4,517,580 times
I don’t want to have to move to a cheaper place or another country. Staying where I am is a major factor for my happiness.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:55 PM

7,761 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Retirement can be expensive.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:07 PM

106,608 posts, read 108,757,383 times
How much does one need ? How long is a rope ?

Old 12-16-2021, 01:45 PM

198 posts, read 108,900 times
There is just 11 items that come to mind, which are required to live a happy life. So yes, I have more than enough

1. shelter w/adequate temperature inside, water, power, internet, phone, tv, music, bed couch, kitchen bath.
2. Real food, healthcare & clothing
4. Some level of transportation (car, bus, depends on location) and costs associated with it.
5.. A little $ to spend on xmas & b-day gifts, family over during holidays, eat out 1-2x a wk.
7. Exercise & relax- ski's for cross country skiing, bike for cycling, fishing pole to fish, outdoor bed to sleep,
8. Youtube, Netflix & Amazon Prime subscription, Library - $30 month.
8. $ for hygiene/ grooming - haircuts, hair color, shampoo, soap, toothbrush, etc.
9. Coffee out, friends over 2x a month for dinner
10. A small emergency fund for anything (50K?) & a little $ to join a club to meet likeminded people.
11. Donation to? homeless, church, etc.- $50-$150 a month.

Everything else is a want.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:46 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,139,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
That is myth for most people.

My commute was one-half mile.

My normal office clothes were nice t-shirts with pockets, shorts, socks and birkenstocks.

My working field clothes were hiking boots, jeans, and various outdoor clothes that I normally wore hunting, fishing, etc. when I wasn't working.

My "formal" professional wear was a uniform provided by my employer.

I didn't save much money on commuting and work clothes!!!

I know there are a few public pensions where you can retire at 100% of salary, but mine was 60%. That is a huge shortfall to make up with investments.

Taxes did NOT make up the difference. Investments did, plus part-time work for my former employer. Don't burn THAT bridge.

I also had started a small business, they provided a needed revenue stream at times.

Between all three it works. Funny, how over time none of the three retirement stools were making money at the same time. But one was down, the other was up!! That really helped.

My advice is pay off your mortgage and business loans. Buy your retirement toys BEFORE retirement, new truck, RV, major hobby purchases, etc. etc. Debt is a difficult thing to manage in retirement, get rid of it.

Open a Roth IRA. I would get at least 50% of my retirement funds in a ROTH.

AND as soon as you can. Best years of your life, except for the "golden" years of five to twenty-two.
you say it's a myth for most people then give an example of n =1

and then this:

I know there are a few public pensions where you can retire at 100% of salary, but mine was 60%. That is a huge shortfall to make up with investments.

my pension was 56%, I took home more after retirement than while working. this does not include expenses like commute, etc. it was net pay b/4 any of that. I'm fine

Old 12-16-2021, 02:12 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
It remains my fervent belief, that our true “needs” are psychological, not logistical. What’s needed to accumulate and to keep accumulating isn’t the financial wherewithal to afford dignified housing or effective medical care, but what comports with one’s sense of self, of the need to feel accomplished and successful. We need to feel that we’ve worked sufficiently long, and sufficiently hard, living life diligently and purposefully. Once this is accomplished, once this threshold is met, we can retire… be that at 35, 55, 75 or never.

For those obsessed with mere dollars, please consider this. A worker makes, say, $100K/year. How much of that goes to income taxes (state, local, FICA)? Call it $30K… probably more, but let’s stipulate. Now we have $70K left. Of that, maybe half goes to retirement savings, yes? Probably a great deal more, but again, let’s stipulate. Now we’re down to $35K/year. Now please tell me: for a person who’s worked for a lifetime, earning $100K/year most years, what’s the SS benefit going to be? Likely around $30K/year, right? Result: our hero doesn’t need any savings at all. None! It’s all psychological.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:19 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Is that 850 for total monthly expenses all in? Including cell phone, car, medical, blah blah?
That is just so low. Frankly Im amazed. Is that for 2 people? Again, I’m amazed.
Agreed, that is crazy cheap if all expenses for two people. I've lived in a few developing countries, and I'm amazed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Is that supposed to be 20x gross annual income , or 20x after-tax annual income?
It's better to think of expenses, not income.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

We need to feel that we’ve worked sufficiently long, and sufficiently hard, living life diligently and purposefully.
Once this is accomplished, once this threshold is met, we can retire… be that at 35, 55, 75 or never.
in blue - never ever crossed my mind as a thought - not even once

and there was no way to retire until age 62

Old 12-16-2021, 02:20 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
The key to our retirement finances was my vested pension and our SS and being debt free. I always knew if I lived to retire, a pension would be needed. Before I retired we paid off the house and cut up all of the credit cards. We have good health insurance and my goal was to eliminate any financial surprises, so I even got out of the stock market a couple of years ago. With COLAs and my RMD's (which will last until my 96th birthday) our gross retirement income has gone from about 60% of our working income to 80%. When I was working I was able to put 3% of my salary into a 401K. Today after being retired and collecting a pension and SS for 13 years, we are saving 15% of our gross. And I never needed to spend a penny of my 401K. We have everything we want or need, a nice house in a quiet neighborhood, a new car, cable TV, friends, hobbies. a dog. We have no desire to travel or eat out. We eat out 2 or 3 times a year at the neighborhood Mexican restaurant or the LongHorn Steak House. We would rather go to someone's house for a meal or have them come to ours than go to a restaurant.
I understand that fear of retirement is a real thing. Although I had tracked our income and expenses for three years and was sure we could make it, I was scared of the unknown as well. But our finances turned out better than we could have expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
you say it's a myth for most people then give an example of n =1

and then this:

my pension was 56%, I took home more after retirement than while working. this does not include expenses like commute, etc. it was net pay b/4 any of that. I'm fine

Last edited by bobspez; 12-16-2021 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement