Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 02:49 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
interesting. I think it sways readers of retirement forum (many who are not yet retired and are younger readers) in a misguided way.

The posters who are on the public dole with their lucrative government pensions making a financial windfall make unknowing readers think it is a norm - as they never mention that most people in the U.S. do not get a pension.

But the number getting a pension is small. (and the vast majority who get a pension worked for the government)

The people planning for retirement know whether or not they will have a pension.

It's not like it is a surprise.

I will have 2 small pensions, one from being on the public dole, and one from a private company.

So of course I put as much money as possible in 401(k)s when that was an option, or bought IRAs at the end of the year.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 02:52 PM

106,642 posts, read 108,790,719 times
A penny doubled every day for a month (30days )would be 5,368,709 dollars .

So good compounding over decades takes the little bits we are able to save and creates real wealth over time .

Then the more you have the bigger and more privy to certain deals you gain access to .

So I spent my life not worrying about the Pennys I am not saving but I learned to compound them as best as I could early on ….the more time you give yourself the better the results can be.

I knew I would have no pension and it all fell on me

Old 12-16-2021, 02:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Most people do not have a pension.

So talk of a pension giving a large part of money in retirement and a large part of what will equal one's former salary which one collected while working - does not apply to the majority of people.

The percentage of workers in the private sector whose only retirement account is a defined benefit pension plan is now 4%, down from 60% in the early 1980s.
https://money.cnn.com/retirement/gui...mag/index7.htm

Pension — Less than one-third (31%) of Americans are retiring with a defined benefit pension plan today.
https://www.personalcapital.com/blog...rement-income/
That's the good part of working for a public agency. One relative just retired from a Bay Area CA agency and while her pension is only 75% of her final salary, when she starts SS in 2 years she will net more than when working, plus has medical benefits for life. This is the tradeoff for lower pay, no bonuses or stock options. My wife and I will get pensions but not nearly that much, probably less than 30% in my case, but that's after only 13 years.

Old 12-16-2021, 03:03 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

That's the good part of working for a public agency. One relative just retired from a Bay Area CA agency and while her pension is only 75% of her final salary, when she starts SS in 2 years she will net more than when working, plus has medical benefits for life. This is the tradeoff for lower pay, no bonuses or stock options.
The constant touting of "working for the government is the tradeoff for lower pay" (and no bonuses or stock options) is silly - especially the misguided notion of working for lower pay - most people are not executives and administrators - they are average run of the mill employees - most workers are grunt lower level workers who would not be making a larger salary working in the private sector - and certainly would not be getting stock options.

The above is how government employees try to convince others in society that they are worth the big pensions.

Old 12-16-2021, 03:13 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
I'm 7 years away from retiring at 65. At this point it's not how much I need, but what I'll have. I'm maxing out my 401K every year and am debt free. My take home pay now (after taxes & 401K deductions) isn't that much more than my delay to 70 Social Security benefits of ~$3700. So, my goal is to live on that amount and enjoy a modest retired life. Sell my house, full-time RV for a few years, buy a small house eventually. Maybe had I started 30 years ago I could have accumulated 20x my salary (!!), but it is what it is. I'll do just fine on what I have. Not like I have another choice - at least I can retire at 65! :-)

Old 12-16-2021, 03:17 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
Most people could have a pension if they deemed it to be a priority, and are willing to stick it out for 20 or 25 years or more to be vested. The military, law enforcement, the fire department, most public school teachers, many federal, state and local agencies and about 60% of insurance companies have pensions in addition to retirement savings plans. Only 4% of jobs now offer pensions, but that is still millions of jobs.
Quote:
Most people do not have a pension.

So talk of a pension giving a large part of money in retirement and a large part of what will equal one's former salary which one collected while working - does not apply to the majority of people.

The percentage of workers in the private sector whose only retirement account is a defined benefit pension plan is now 4%, down from 60% in the early 1980s.
https://money.cnn.com/retirement/gui...mag/index7.htm

Pension — Less than one-third (31%) of Americans are retiring with a defined benefit pension plan today.
https://www.personalcapital.com/blog...rement-income/

Last edited by bobspez; 12-16-2021 at 03:33 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 03:22 PM

My late husband's bank had a pension.

Old 12-16-2021, 03:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post

Most people could have a pension if they deemed it to be a priority. The military, law enforcement, the fire department, many federal, state and local agencies have pensions in addition to retirement savings plans. Only 4% of jobs now offer pensions, but that is still millions of jobs.
So you think the government could just hire most everyone in the U.S.

That is the height of absurdity.

Old 12-16-2021, 03:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But for those that do have pensions it is part of the financial planning.
Yesssss and yessss those pensions with COLA increases and spousal benefits that we each have are part of OUR retirement reality.

Old 12-16-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
So you think the government could just hire most everyone in the U.S.

That is the height of absurdity.

I do not think he was implying that.

About 25 million people work for the public sectors.

And not all pensions are a free ride, we both had to contribute via deductions to our paychecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement