Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 04:51 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
Yep. I don’t mind being Old Stinker as much as I mind being a floor-level buffet .
I don't have to worry about that. My cats are too used to food that comes out of cans - if they don't hear the sound of a can being opened, they're not eating me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 07:34 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
My sister and I called my mother every single day to check in. She lived 80 miles - one way - from me and about 30 from my sister. I went over there once a week on my 4/10 mid-week day off, just to hang and do things.

If she didn't answer the phone or the line was continually busy (she didn't hang up the phone all the way!!), and Margaret couldn't drive over there, I'd call the local PD and request a welfare check. I was in law enforcement at the time. And I would never make this request if I knew she might be at some event at her clubhouse, etc. She didn't have a cell phone. I had to do this several times......They wound up on a first name basis with my mother...after one such visit, she called me and sheepishly said, "you need to stop calling the police on me." LOL

PS edit ( I was lost in the memory of Mom)......if I'd had such an app, that would have made things easier, but we didn't at the time.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:25 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
You can have an Apple Watch keep tabs:

ElderCheck Now is a free third-party app that acts as an excellent companion to the Apple Watch health-monitoring features. The app is available to download for Apple Watch and iPhone and serves as a tool for loved ones and caregivers to check in on seniors or vulnerable people.

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-apple-...rable%20people.

Old 12-18-2021, 01:50 PM

1,059 posts, read 548,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
I like Snug. You designate the time of day you want to check in by - if you don't check in, your contacts are notified.
Wouldn't they check with you first? Maybe you just forgot.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:54 PM

272 posts, read 166,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Wouldn't they check with you first? Maybe you just forgot.
They give you the option to check in before your designated time. This is great! You’re not on their schedule unless you’re possibly in danger of checking out. I have used this app for just two days and love it already.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:03 AM

480 posts, read 316,804 times
My mom sends an email to my personal and work email every morning.
my alternate is my son.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:19 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
They give you the option to check in before your designated time. This is great! You’re not on their schedule unless you’re possibly in danger of checking out. I have used this app for just two days and love it already.
I'm glad you found a good solution.
I live alone, too. This seems like a good idea.How much information does this app require? Do you have to leave location on all the time? I read on the Snug website that if you don't check in after 10 minutes they call every contact you provide them. I'd hate to have the people I'm closest to upset just because I may have overslept.

Old 12-19-2021, 01:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

If you don't have family or friends - who would really care if you are dead or alive??
The above is not true for everyone without family and without friends.

A good number of people without family and friends will have acquaintances (not full-fledged friends) who see them quite regularly in the hallways of their apartment building or walking in their shared neighborhood or in their yard or leaving/departing or waiting together for public transit.

Some people may do volunteer work and some may still be working or have a part-time job where people are accustomed to being around the person......and are aware when the person stops showing up.

Some may go to church and acquaintances there may chat with the person and notice when a person is gone and no longer around to chat with.

Just because a person doesn't have people close to them to the level of a full-fledged friendship, it doesn't mean that acquaintances would "not care when the person is alive or dead"!

People can be missed by all kinds of acquaintances - neighbors may notice their absence, store workers may notice them no longer buying coffee or buying in other stores.

People may no longer see a person in the dog park or walking their dog.

People care about the ABSENCE of people all the time....people who are acquaintances but even people who they have a casual acquaintance with while LIVING ON THE EARTH TOGETHER.

I can't imagine telling people that no one really cares if you are dead or alive!

Especially since most every person has made some positive impacts on others in various and often positive ways while roaming through life. (and not even be aware of the positive ways they have impacted others)

Last edited by matisse12; 12-19-2021 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-20-2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I don't have to worry about that. My cats are too used to food that comes out of cans - if they don't hear the sound of a can being opened, they're not eating me.
My "daughter" (now departed fifteen years ago this month) got increasingly finicky with her food over the years. That is, until I realized I was the one buying her the increasingly finicky food, which might have had something to do with it.

Old 12-20-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The above is not true for everyone without family and without friends.

A good number of people without family and friends will have acquaintances (not full-fledged friends) who see them quite regularly in the hallways of their apartment building or walking in their shared neighborhood or in their yard or leaving/departing or waiting together for public transit.

Some people may do volunteer work and some may still be working or have a part-time job where people are accustomed to being around the person......and are aware when the person stops showing up.

Some may go to church and acquaintances there may chat with the person and notice when a person is gone and no longer around to chat with.

Just because a person doesn't have people close to them to the level of a full-fledged friendship, it doesn't mean that acquaintances would "not care when the person is alive or dead"!

People can be missed by all kinds of acquaintances - neighbors may notice their absence, store workers may notice them no longer buying coffee or buying in other stores.

People may no longer see a person in the dog park or walking their dog.

People care about the ABSENCE of people all the time....people who are acquaintances but even people who they have a casual acquaintance with while LIVING ON THE EARTH TOGETHER.

I can't imagine telling people that no one really cares if you are dead or alive!

Especially since most every person has made some positive impacts on others in various and often positive ways while roaming through life. (and not even be aware of the positive ways they have impacted others)
Bless you again, Matisse, for--once again--saying something that might seem extremely obvious but that doesn't suffer from being said again as a reminder.

I'd like to add that some of us end up in neighborhoods where we experience a double misfortune. First, not having lived in a certain place all our lives, we haven't had time to develop intense friendships. This past summer, after having lived in a particularly stand-offish rust-belt borough for almost seven years, I encountered on a broiling hot July day a woman in extreme advanced age. She was walking her dog. I warned her of the heat, which her dog clearly did not like. We talked about the city we lived near and all the 1960s' era stores. I saw her once and only once again, and we both are still alive.

Second, many of us, as we age, do not get to choose the people with whom we share a building. When I was hale and hearty, I would try to (literally!) break the ice by bailing everyone out with my snow-shovel. But I never once, not once, was thanked. I was regarded as an outsider, and things deteriorated between me and my building-sharers for other, quite grave, reasons.

So while not wanting to be a damper on an optimistic view of humanity, those people who I am confident will miss me are exactly the strangers who will realize, "Hey, haven't seen Old School" for a while. That's too long and vague a time to take chances with a dignified exit from one's actual "abode."

Matisse deserves a tropical colored holiday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement