Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 11:16 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

1) Nature. I try to go hiking at least one day per week. I live beside a city park (within a quarter mile) that is bigger than NYC's Central Park. There is a small lake, beautiful waterfall, wetlands, golf course, swing sets, disc golf, and running/hiking trails. The swing sets are large enough to support my ~240 lb. 5'8 load. That's rare to find.

I've been all over the running trails, but there are many hiking trails I haven't gotten to. I cover a couple at least once a week during lunch.

I've hiked a couple hundred miles of the AT over the years as a casual hiker. Lots of miles in Florida, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maine, and Michigan. Some in Iowa, South Dakota, and Minnesota.

Hiking has been limited this year. My girlfriend isn't into it often, and with just the weekends to see her, it cuts into hiking time. Still, I try to hike within <1 hr. of the house a lot during summer evenings.

I also kayak, lake/river swim (a lot), fish occasionally, and have been given a lot of herpetology knowledge from my cousin, who is a professional in the field.

2) Food/Drink. I love food - particularly ethnic or interesting foods. I grew up in a bland, almost British, food culture, here in Appalachia.

Indian food is my favorite, followed by authentic Mexican. Good seafood when and if it's available, usually along the coasts. For winter, heavier British, Irish, and German comfort foods.

I also like Thai, Greek, and well done Italian, and plenty of regional varieties of American cuisine. It's hard to top a Chicago dog in the summer.

I have consumed probably 2,000 different beers. Reviewed many hundreds. I'll drink about anything you put in front of me. I like wine, but don't seek it out, and my knowledge of it is limited compared to beer.

I split time between northeast TN and Asheville, NC. Asheville is one of the biggest beer Meccas in the country, and also probably the best semi-smallish food city in the Southeast. I'm kind of spoiled in that regard.

3) Travel. Growing up in Appalachia, I never had the ability to travel. At 25, I had been no farther south than Orlando (trip to Disney as a 5 year old), no farther west than Nashville, no farther east than Myrtle Beach (probably), and no farther north than DC. That was a decade ago - 2011.

Since then, I've been to every state east of the Mississippi sans Delaware. Lived in six states in six years at one point. More state park visits in more states than I can count.

I've been quite fortunate compared to where I was a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 11:36 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
- family
- secure future, not worry about money
- time to do anything or nothing

Old 12-20-2021, 08:12 AM

816 posts, read 444,839 times
My family and my buddy (rescued husky mix) together. My best times in life.

The golf course. And since we moved to the Raleigh area from New Jersey, I get much more of this. Plus my wife and daughter play!!!

Our health. So thankful we are healthy, especially with all many are going through. We also have been through much adversity in our family with cancer through the years, so this is the most important one for me!!!

Old 12-20-2021, 08:14 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Thanks for all your posts, enjoyable to read because they are uplifting and from the heart.
Update--spouse has returned to my top 3 which improves my happiness scale :-)
So happy to hear about the upgrade ... er ... I mean update on your spouse's position Love your sense of humor

Very enjoyable thread. Thx for starting it. I never come up with clever ideas for threads but I love participating in them.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:21 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
I have to do four, sorry:

1. Nature
2. My animals
3. My home
4. Books. I couldn't live without books on hand all the time - I have withdrawal symptoms without unread books in the house.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:14 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
i am going with my top 3 right at this moment:

day off to do whatever i want.
new cotton blanket pale pink which is now my favorite to snuggle into
glass of hot tea in my hand, aromatic and delicious

Old 12-20-2021, 09:35 AM

475 posts, read 318,328 times
Family and pets go without saying...

Walking in the front door when it's cold outside and seeing the fire in the gas stove. That first burst of heat on my face...bliss.

The first rain after a long dry spell.

The atmosphere in this small part of town on Main St. Upbeat, friendly, not pretentious. Love it here.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:22 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Well, they probably all tie in with being a Goddess but .......

1. Things that I get off on
2. Being a woodlands witch
3. Being, "Well, I am the nice one."

Old 12-20-2021, 11:18 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
1. No financial worries or concerns
2. A furry friend (or nine)
3. Church members who accept you as you are.

#1 will be solved in August
#2 When it/they show up
#3 when I find a new city to locate to

Old 12-20-2021, 11:52 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
watching the dogs play at the dog park.
sitting on the beach
watching DH relive his youth....playing baseball
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement