Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 06:20 PM

4,860 posts, read 3,674,747 times

Advertisements

Ours were posted as a message on the mySSA website.

Part B is now $170.10!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 07:31 AM

1,065 posts, read 558,924 times
Social Security was raised 5.9% and Part B was raised 14.5%.

https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare...-increase.html

"CMS officials stressed that while the 14.5 percent Part B premium increase is a stiff one, the Social Security cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) — at 5.9 percent, the largest in 30 years - is estimated to average $92 per recipient. So even after the increase in the Medicare Part B premium, most Social Security recipients, whose Part B premiums are typically deducted from their Social Security benefits, will still see a net increase in their monthly check. The COLA goes into effect in January.

Once again, American seniors and taxpayers will pay the price for the outrageous pricing behavior of big drug companies,” said Bill Sweeney, AARP senior vice president for government affairs. “When Big Pharma sets a high drug price, everyone pays for it — not just those who need the medications. That’s why Congress must act swiftly to pass prescription drug reforms in the Build Back Better Act, which would bring meaningful, much-needed relief to seniors and all Americans.”
"

Old 12-24-2021, 07:48 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,963,722 times
Those Postal Notices are very late this year. I just got mine last Wednesday, and I keep track of this statement yearly......it usually arrives in my mailbox before mid-December. You can lay the blame on the slow Mail wherever you wish....but I think it's obvious what Louis DeJoy did as Postmaster.

Your new Social Security amount is pretty easy to estimate. Just multiply last year's amount by 0.059 and subtract $20 for Part B. That's your approximate raise in January. Round number Math. You don't even need a calculator for that.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:32 AM

6,369 posts, read 7,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Those Postal Notices are very late this year. I just got mine last Wednesday, and I keep track of this statement yearly......it usually arrives in my mailbox before mid-December...
I'll say that it is late...very late. Just got my announcement in the mail yesterday, (Friday, Jan 7th).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-08-2022, 09:09 PM

6,790 posts, read 5,531,630 times
Mine arrived promptly in my mailbox on January 3, Monday.
But it only came from a city 1.15 hours away next state over, one of which I live 6.2 miles from the boarder of.

At least that's the return address comes with, and all my other SS A paperwork comes from.

It should be soon.

Also yesterday I got my SSDI earnings statement for my taxes.

Best

Old 01-08-2022, 09:12 PM

6,790 posts, read 5,531,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Ours were posted as a message on the mySSA website.

Part B is now $170.10!
Yeah, doesn't that extra $0.10 just burn your rubber???

Couldn't stop at $170? Just had to nick us for one thin dime extra!

Grrr!

Best to all

Old 01-08-2022, 11:45 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,177,014 times
My husband and I got our notices a couple weeks ago. But we have yet to get the earnings statements for 2021. I was a little surprised at how much the medicare B went up. Nothing we can do about that...but I did think, yeah, Covid stuff and we're paying for much of it this way. Still, I wouldn't go back to private insurance for anything in the world. This is way better.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:37 AM

617 posts, read 538,318 times
Quote:
Those Postal Notices are very late this year. I just got mine last Wednesday, and I keep track of this statement yearly......it usually arrives in my mailbox before mid-December. You can lay the blame on the slow Mail wherever you wish....but I think it's obvious what Louis DeJoy did as Postmaster.

Your new Social Security amount is pretty easy to estimate. Just multiply last year's amount by 0.059 and subtract $20 for Part B. That's your approximate raise in January. Round number Math. You don't even need a calculator for that.
Of course, this assumes you are at the base level for Medicare Part B. I’ve talked to a couple of people who claim the Medicare increase caused their total payment to go down. If true, their income had to have been pretty high two years ago.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:50 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,963,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
Of course, this assumes you are at the base level for Medicare Part B. I’ve talked to a couple of people who claim the Medicare increase caused their total payment to go down. If true, their income had to have been pretty high two years ago.
As long as we all understand that their Income for that year had to be over $180K to absorb that $70 increase in the premium.......$15,000 per month costs an extra $70. That's a trade I'd make every day.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:25 AM

617 posts, read 538,318 times
Quote:
As long as we all understand that their Income for that year had to be over $180K to absorb that $70 increase in the premium.......$15,000 per month costs an extra $70. That's a trade I'd make every day.
Definitely. I don’t feel sorry for them. One indicated that RMD’s pushed him over the minimum limit and the other said they had sold some property or had some other special circumstance. I believe the second guy could potentially make an appeal, but he has plenty of income even without the special circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement