Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 10:02 AM

43,597 posts, read 18,669,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
My husband and I got our notices a couple weeks ago. But we have yet to get the earnings statements for 2021. I was a little surprised at how much the medicare B went up. Nothing we can do about that...but I did think, yeah, Covid stuff and we're paying for much of it this way. Still, I wouldn't go back to private insurance for anything in the world. This is way better.
It went up so much to pay for the new Alzheimer drug the FDA just approved.
Pretty pricy at $56,000 per year and controversial as well over doubts of its effectiveness.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...lzheimers-drug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 05:18 PM

20,049 posts, read 9,581,135 times
Well, I finally got my statement two days ago, and it is exactly what I counted on -- a net increase of $41.00 as the Part B went up about $20 a month.

Just to give one example of an increase in a non-discretionary expense, our trash pick-up is going up $5.00 a month, and so when you count in the increases in food and gas prices, I honestly do not know how single people living on just a small amount of Social Security (say, under $1500 a month) will be able to manage. If I wasn't married, and if it wasn't for savings and other income, I would be very worried right now.

I have nothing but sympathy for those single people who are living only on Social Security. For those people, a 5.9% increase seems like not nearly enough to cover the increased cost in just basic expenses.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:28 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,093,110 times
Sympathy is not the word I would use. Anyone that is trying to live on just $1500/mo SS has set themselves up for a hard to impossible retirement. To beat a long dead horse; SS was never meant to be one’s only income source in retirement.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:05 AM

107,307 posts, read 109,695,874 times
Unfortunately not working is not a right .

It is for those who can afford to do so ..

Many may end up having to live with others and share expenses …many will have to work longer somehow …

Ss like perry said was never supposed to be a sole means of support and if it is , one can’t expect life to be the way it was when a pay check or two pay checks were coming in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement