Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 10:29 AM

15,258 posts, read 13,087,357 times

Advertisements

I was well into adulthood before I tried coffee. I don't drink it regularly, far from it.

But Friday night I was on my way back to California when I stopped at a Starbucks in Kingman and ordered a pumpkin spice latte. I was so out of it, apparently, that I didn't realize it contained coffee. I usually buy tea latte drinks at Starbucks. That night I slept so poorly I got up at 3 am and got back on the road. Made it to Barstow just as Frosty's Donuts (don't laugh, they're really good) was opening. Got the world's best maple bar and a small cup of coffee. Mistake. The dizziness and tremors started. Caffeine overdose. My liver can't process caffeine quickly. Had to stay at a rest stop for some hours drinking water until the dizziness subsided.

Yeah, I don't think I'll mess with coffee again anytime soon. But seriously, if you're ever in Barstow, get a great donut at Frosty's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 10:33 AM

187 posts, read 115,691 times
From the time I was about 5, I was allowed to order a cup of coffee with breakfast when traveling with my grandparents. It would shock the waitresses, but they reluctantly brought it. I didn't drink it at home much when a kid, mostly because my mother used to have instant coffee. When I turned 18 and moved out, one of the first things I bought was a coffee maker, and I've been drinking it since. I've tried various methods of brewing coffee over the years, but I always remember that diner coffee as a little kid as being the best.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:33 AM

11,176 posts, read 6,772,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
18 when I was in college studying for exams. I started drinking it black then and have continued to do so ever since.

I have at least 2 cups a day. Love, love coffee. Jamoca Almond Fudge is my absolute favorite ice cream. I don't have it often but when I do - yum!
Oh, Jamoca Almond Fudge! We were weaned on that ice cream. Baskin-Robbins was nearby...

I started coffee at about age 16, I think because I had a part-time job in a restaurant. But I always liked coffee flavor even as a kid.

Never quit drinking it but I sure do miss half n half and real cream.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:43 AM

15,173 posts, read 12,343,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Don't mean to get too personal.

I was always a tea drinker (still am). But I started liking coffee in my mid 30s! I guess I liked it at some
restaurants.

Do you have to drink it every day? Did you ever stop drinking it?
I remember when I was a kid going around and draining the coffee left in the cups of the adults when we were clearing dishes after meals. Kind of revolting now when I think about it, but I liked it then.

I started drinking my own cups of coffee when I was in college, and drink itnto this day. Don't think I ever developed an "addiction" to it, in that I must have my coffee in the morning or my day is ruined, but I sure welcome that first cup of hot fresh coffee in the morning. It's ok if I don't have it, though. I do feel like when I'm eating a bakery item ( ie, cakes, cookies, some pies) I really want a cup of coffee with it.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:45 AM

15,173 posts, read 12,343,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Never. Can't stand the taste or anything coffee flavored. Both of my parents were coffee drinkers. All 4 of their kids never have drank coffee. I once bought Edy's ice cream. I thought it was chocolate but it also had coffee flavoring in it. Took one spoonful and gagged. Told my husband he could finish it.
I drink coffee but feel the same way you do about coffee flavored anything else. I like my coffee flavor in my coffee, but not in anything else.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:03 AM

491 posts, read 424,375 times
I remember, I was 11 or 12. Had a paper route. Got up up with dad about 4 a.m.. Coffee with sugar and milk. By age 17, drinking it black. Now 63 and still drinking it black.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:19 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,205,057 times
Quote:
Don't mean to get too personal.

I was always a tea drinker (still am). But I started liking coffee in my mid 30s! I guess I liked it at some
restaurants.

MY! What a Lindsay Wagner you are!

12-14, in a fishing boat, early in the morning, out in some bay. It had milk and sugar in it.

When I got really hooked was in the service because on a ship, that's what you've got, that's what you trade in. I do tea from time to time, but it just doesn't have the same kick.

Yes, every day but it is more a norming factor, from my lonely nights as a Vampirelle, it was the routine I could share with the day people and feel somewhat in this world.

As far as stop drinking it, I would prefer not. How do the lines go? "Don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do?". Well, take away the coffee, what would be left?

Old 12-23-2021, 11:51 AM

6,371 posts, read 7,851,442 times
Quote:
How Old Were You When You Started Drinking...Coffee??

Don't drink coffee, never have. Just don't like the taste. Go figure, as I spent four years in the Navy and never drank any. Not a tea drinker either.

Now, diet sodas? Have to have at least one a day, usually when I eat breakfast. I'm addicted to those things, especially Diet Mountain Dew. It's quite popular up here in the Northern Rocky Mountain West. I know that it is "bad for me", but it is the only vice I have. Please let me have just that one.

- - - - -

A short story that our Navy vets will understand. In the days I served, upon reporting to your ship, you spent the first three months performing general ship duty. I was assigned to the scullery. After the three months were up and upon reporting to my division as a Seaman, one of the first jobs I was given was to clean a coffee urn. That thing was filthy and scuzzy, especially the inside. I wanted to impress my new supervisors and really went to work on that thing. When I was done, the inside scum was gone and it was all bright and shinny as if new.

Boy! Did I get yelled at. "You took all the flavor out of it!" I never had to clean a coffee urn ever again.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 12-23-2021 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-23-2021, 11:58 AM

8,591 posts, read 7,011,787 times
Probably way back to when I was in the Marine Corps in the 60’s. We had little packets of powdered coffee in our C rations when we were in the field too.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:04 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,046,730 times
Since college on all those late-nighters.

At work I see there are 2 groups of people, one group like hot coffee whereas the other group like ice cold Mountain Dew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement