Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 12:54 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That definitely sounds tough...I was trying to locate spec sheets to see if there was a actual side vent position because currently my dryer is on the left and vents outside to the left. I guess for my current I need to climb on top with a flashlight and see what exactly is back there now - besides all my lost socks!

I don't have a lot of space to spare behind the dryer either because I have shallow pantry shelves in front and of course need clearance for the doors to swing out fully. It would save space to have the vent on the side but I don't think that's the case. I'm seeing if I can use a "periscope" vent to save a few inches so it can be closer to the rear wall.

So much planning when you have to retrofit - I don't even remember having these questions when I built the danged house!
According to LG’s website, you can buy a side vent kit. I went and looked at them in the store and there is a place to have it vent out the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 02:51 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,906 times
We had LG on pedestals at our last house, and vented out the side. Worked well.

Old 12-28-2021, 03:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
When we bought our front loaders I built a platform base that provides storage below, and elevates them the same as the commercial base. You could build one that's not that high, without storage, to provide better access to the washer, while not needing a ladder to get to the dryer.

Old 12-30-2021, 03:02 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
If your old W&D work fine, I would keep them. They are of better quality than anything you can buy now and don't have a lot of electronic gizmos which confer short life spans. I was disabled by a back injury and had to renovate my home to accommodate my needs, particularly in regard to fixtures and appliances that are usable for me. One of the last things I'd ever want is a front load washer.

Agree, newer appliances get cheaper made every year. Hate my new Whirlpool washer, no rinse and spin or spin only. Wanted a Samsung, wasn't in stock. Upset I didn't get that. Hub refused to try to fix my whirlpool cabrio washer which I loved

The new whirlpool has the agitator "spike" in the middle, my old Cabrio did not. Washing pillows or something big was easier and better in the cabrio.

I personally would not get a front load washer. I've read that you have to keep the door open to dry it out. I like having the glass lid on my washer which my Cabrio and new whirlpool have. I can easily look inside the washer if needed.

Quote:
That definitely sounds tough...I was trying to locate spec sheets to see if there was a actual side vent position because currently my dryer is on the left and vents outside to the left. I guess for my current I need to climb on top with a flashlight and see what exactly is back there now - besides all my lost socks!

I don't have a lot of space to spare behind the dryer either because I have shallow pantry shelves in front and of course need clearance for the doors to swing out fully. It would save space to have the vent on the side but I don't think that's the case. I'm seeing if I can use a "periscope" vent to save a few inches so it can be closer to the rear wall.

So much planning when you have to retrofit - I don't even remember having these questions when I built the danged house!

I have a bad back, I'd rather bend into the top load, then I spin the drum as I go. Bending down for a front loader is more of a bend for me at 5'8".

I'd use kitchen tongs instead of a grabber that was mentioned.

You mentioned wanting a laundry room sink. My top load washer allows me to rinse out clothes by pressing a button on the inside back wall. There's a spout where the water comes out.

I'll link the Samsung washers I was going to get since you said you wanted a large drum, in case you find the stacked won't work there. That was my requirement too. Most are 4.5 CU FT, these are 5. We're going to be selling our house in the next few months, I'm leaving the almost year old whirlpool, going for one of them, can't recall which I settled on. I could control it from my Samsung phone.

When I was shopping, I mostly used my computer to read and compare. After buying the whirlpool, I found that online for the Samsung washer I was going to buy was wrong, it did a lot more types of wash cycles then the whirlpool does so make sure you go in person too. The whirlpool looked better due to how many wash types it said it had, I never imagined it would not have those 2 settings that I used to use a lot, especially if I hand washed stuff, rinse and spin was handy. The new whirlpool also does not spin the clothes as dry as my cabrio from 2008 that had the impeller. I don't know if it's due to one being an impeller verses propeller. New washers should spin them pretty dry from the reading I've done here. I was going to exchange the whirlpool, for samsung. 2 different Lowes stores told me I had 90 days. When my hub and son finally had time to disconnect and return it, Lowes told me they only give 30 days on washers. I was so ticked, since I had gone there to speak to them about specifics three times in the first few weeks.

Samsung 5-cu ft High Efficiency Impeller Top-Load Washer (Brushed Black) ENERGY STAR - Item #3711482Model #WA50R5200AV
Samsung 5-cu ft High Efficiency Impeller Top-Load Washer (White) ENERGY STAR

Quote:
I totally get the dryer controls being really high up for the typical stacked arrangement - that's why I'm looking at this which has the controls for both washer and dryer in the center so could still have some kind of pedestal and not be overly tall:

https://www.lg.com/us/washer-dryer-c...1hba-washtower

I almost bought an LG washer and fridge but the reviews from people that have owned it a few months were horrible for both. Things like water leaking from the washer, I believe another was flimsy drum, it was made of plastic, can't recall what the main issue was with the fridge, but that also had issues after a few months. There was one or two who had to have LG replace the fridge. You want to read as many reviews as you can from different sites, Lowes, Depot, Best Buy before jumping into a washer/dryer combo. Look for the ones who wait before reviewing to use it a few months. A lot of people seem to do one after doing a load or two.

They do a lot more now then they used to do. I can't even adjust the water level on the new whirlpool. If I set it to max fill, it won't put a full water load in it, it only adds enough to cover the items you're washing which drives me nuts. It seems to always have the same water level no matter how I set it unless I'm doing bulky stuff like pillows.

I looked that unit up at Lowes LG Model #WKGX201HBA, looked at the reviews. There's 2 AMP plugs instead of one 2 AMP plug. The dryer uses water for the steam and requires it's own separate line instead of using the line already there for the washer. It says fill lines were not included. Noise level says quiet but sounds the same as their 13 year old whirlpool. Quality over all is great, looks nice and washes great, dries as expected. The one thing he wishes it had was to be able to select your own drying time down to the minute, choice is 20, 40, 60 minutes, a lot of time he only wants 5 to 10 minutes just to fluff before taking it out.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:43 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Agree, newer appliances get cheaper made every year. Hate my new Whirlpool washer, no rinse and spin or spin only. Wanted a Samsung, wasn't in stock. Upset I didn't get that. Hub refused to try to fix my whirlpool cabrio washer which I loved

The new whirlpool has the agitator "spike" in the middle, my old Cabrio did not. Washing pillows or something big was easier and better in the cabrio.

I personally would not get a front load washer. I've read that you have to keep the door open to dry it out. I like having the glass lid on my washer which my Cabrio and new whirlpool have. I can easily look inside the washer if needed.

I have a bad back, I'd rather bend into the top load, then I spin the drum as I go. Bending down for a front loader is more of a bend for me at 5'8".

I'd use kitchen tongs instead of a grabber that was mentioned.

You mentioned wanting a laundry room sink. My top load washer allows me to rinse out clothes by pressing a button on the inside back wall. There's a spout where the water comes out.

I'll link the Samsung washers I was going to get since you said you wanted a large drum, in case you find the stacked won't work there. That was my requirement too. Most are 4.5 CU FT, these are 5. We're going to be selling our house in the next few months, I'm leaving the almost year old whirlpool, going for one of them, can't recall which I settled on. I could control it from my Samsung phone.

When I was shopping, I mostly used my computer to read and compare. After buying the whirlpool, I found that online for the Samsung washer I was going to buy was wrong, it did a lot more types of wash cycles then the whirlpool does so make sure you go in person too. The whirlpool looked better due to how many wash types it said it had, I never imagined it would not have those 2 settings that I used to use a lot, especially if I hand washed stuff, rinse and spin was handy. The new whirlpool also does not spin the clothes as dry as my cabrio from 2008 that had the impeller. I don't know if it's due to one being an impeller verses propeller. New washers should spin them pretty dry from the reading I've done here. I was going to exchange the whirlpool, for samsung. 2 different Lowes stores told me I had 90 days. When my hub and son finally had time to disconnect and return it, Lowes told me they only give 30 days on washers. I was so ticked, since I had gone there to speak to them about specifics three times in the first few weeks.

Samsung 5-cu ft High Efficiency Impeller Top-Load Washer (Brushed Black) ENERGY STAR - Item #3711482Model #WA50R5200AV
Samsung 5-cu ft High Efficiency Impeller Top-Load Washer (White) ENERGY STAR

I almost bought an LG washer and fridge but the reviews from people that have owned it a few months were horrible for both. Things like water leaking from the washer, I believe another was flimsy drum, it was made of plastic, can't recall what the main issue was with the fridge, but that also had issues after a few months. There was one or two who had to have LG replace the fridge. You want to read as many reviews as you can from different sites, Lowes, Depot, Best Buy before jumping into a washer/dryer combo. Look for the ones who wait before reviewing to use it a few months. A lot of people seem to do one after doing a load or two.

They do a lot more now then they used to do. I can't even adjust the water level on the new whirlpool. If I set it to max fill, it won't put a full water load in it, it only adds enough to cover the items you're washing which drives me nuts. It seems to always have the same water level no matter how I set it unless I'm doing bulky stuff like pillows.

I looked that unit up at Lowes LG Model #WKGX201HBA, looked at the reviews. There's 2 AMP plugs instead of one 2 AMP plug. The dryer uses water for the steam and requires it's own separate line instead of using the line already there for the washer. It says fill lines were not included. Noise level says quiet but sounds the same as their 13 year old whirlpool. Quality over all is great, looks nice and washes great, dries as expected. The one thing he wishes it had was to be able to select your own drying time down to the minute, choice is 20, 40, 60 minutes, a lot of time he only wants 5 to 10 minutes just to fluff before taking it out.
Thanks for the info...I did look at an installation video and it says they include a "y" splitter for the water line to get the steam...maybe I should grab one to have it just in case!

I think I'm gonna go ahead and get it. I can't wait any longer for it to "die" and it's not gonna last forever. If quality only keeps going down I want the bad quality from today rather than even worse quality 3 years from now, if that makes sense.

If I wasn't getting any additional features, I wouldn't do it just to have something new. Just like I wouldn't replace my dishwasher if I didn't get the "new" 3rd rack, etc. I'm getting added capacity, extra space for a sink, steam cleaning, etc. And by golly if I get so decrepit I can't figure out a way to get stuff out of the washer I'll hire some H.S. girl to come in and do all my laundry for me!

Maybe I'm weird but I usually plan things out for so long and there's so much anticipation that even years later I'm still happy...like, my single piece dual flush toilets...new from a couple years ago and I still think about it almost every time I flush!

Old 12-30-2021, 09:23 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Like others have said, I have a front loader and find its possible to only bend over once to scoop everything into a laundry basket that sits on the floor while spinning the drum to capture anything stuck to the top. Our washer is relatively small - cannot handle large thick quilts etc. - so perhaps it might be difficult to reach clothes at the back of a monster machine?

And oh, then bend over a second time to wipe water from the seal to prevent mold. It's also essential to leave the door open a couple of inches to allow for air flow.

The machine is years old with no mold issues nor special cleaning needed. Except for periodically cleaning the filter which is a hassle since it is right at floor level making it hard to capture any water that drains out. That's the only thing that involves using your knees since I plop down on the floor, although a little stool could be used. Fortunately for some reason our filter is never dirty so that step tends to get skipped - a lot.
You have a filter on your washing machine? Never heard of such.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:25 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
My front loader washer is a Whirlpool Duet, and it has indeed lasted longer than 15 years.

I've had a regular electric front loader dryer always. Still do. I have always had to bend over to put clothes into and get them out of it. I've never had a problem w/that. I'm in my 60's, and I have the standard arthritis. But whether that's a problem would depend on the person.
That's a good point. We have all been using front load dryers for decades. Why would a front load washer be any more difficult to get clothes in and out if?

Old 12-31-2021, 04:53 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info...I did look at an installation video and it says they include a "y" splitter for the water line to get the steam...maybe I should grab one to have it just in case!

I think I'm gonna go ahead and get it. I can't wait any longer for it to "die" and it's not gonna last forever. If quality only keeps going down I want the bad quality from today rather than even worse quality 3 years from now, if that makes sense.

If I wasn't getting any additional features, I wouldn't do it just to have something new. Just like I wouldn't replace my dishwasher if I didn't get the "new" 3rd rack, etc. I'm getting added capacity, extra space for a sink, steam cleaning, etc. And by golly if I get so decrepit I can't figure out a way to get stuff out of the washer I'll hire some H.S. girl to come in and do all my laundry for me!

Maybe I'm weird but I usually plan things out for so long and there's so much anticipation that even years later I'm still happy...like, my single piece dual flush toilets...new from a couple years ago and I still think about it almost every time I flush!

I'm the same way with researching, then I'm usually happy with what I bought except with the washer I got lol

Some washers do a lot these days. I was happy when I found out I could get the water spout to rinse things out that saves me a trip to the bathroom to do it, I just can't believe it doesn't do rinse and spin or plain spin.

I'm sure you'll love having an upgrade to your appliances and laundry room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You have a filter on your washing machine? Never heard of such.

IIRC, I had one on my old one too but never knew it until the last load I did with it. One of the error codes were that the filter was clogged with lint. Wish I could remember where it was located, other than a hard to reach spot lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That's a good point. We have all been using front load dryers for decades. Why would a front load washer be any more difficult to get clothes in and out if?

You're right, the dryer is front load. I guess I didn't think of that since mine is on a pedestal.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:39 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
My front loader washer is a Whirlpool Duet, and it has indeed lasted longer than 15 years.

I've had a regular electric front loader dryer always. Still do. I have always had to bend over to put clothes into and get them out of it. I've never had a problem w/that. I'm in my 60's, and I have the standard arthritis. But whether that's a problem would depend on the person.

Mother is 84 and bought her first washer with her first paycheck at 21. I met my first top loader in the US and seriously considered having a real washer shipped and appropriately converted. They come in Plain Jane to Do Not Know How To Use It But It Was Expensive. We wash just about everything but SO's going to funerals suit and shirt. I refuse to run a load for one white shirt.

Wiping the door seal down and not locking the door is the whole trick. I do not hand wash. I do not have clothes in the hamper for a week.

Old 01-01-2022, 05:27 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
well - someone just started a laundry service in our area today. They will come get your items and bring them back all nice and clean.
Great idea for a business. Do you know what they charge per load?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement