Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 02:34 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hoping this doesn't get moved because my question involves the practicality of front-load washers and height from the floor - flexibility needed and back issues.

I'm replacing a 20 year old top-load washer and dryer (and maybe that's not smart because they still run fine!). I'd like to switch to a front-load and save space by stacking them so I can add a utility sink to the laundry room...unfortunately if you stack, you CAN'T use a pedestal. And the washer is LOW! I actually went to a showroom to see for myself.

Frankly I'm worried about using it even now and especially in 10-15 years (fingers crossed that it'll last that long!). Sure I can easily toss the dirty clothes in but I'd have to kneel down on the floor multiple times getting the wet clothes into the dryer. Maybe this would be my new lunge exercise routine?

Am I right to be concerned?
I do have one without pedestal. It's built in under a counter. Wouldn't worry about not being able to bend in 20 years Don't have any back problems, yet, and little bending doesn't bother me. It might change in 20 years, but then the problem will apply to any bottom cabinet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 02:47 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
When I retired and moved, I bought one of the all-in-one washer/dryers, front load, no pedestal to save space. It takes about 3 hours to do a load of laundry and the clothes come out dry. It's made for small loads. It was not inexpensive. There's no need for a vent to the outside which is a big plus for me. I don't care how long it takes because it's not like I need to do laundry in a hurry anymore. The machine has it's positives and negatives, but overall I'm happy with it.
I don't bend my back much at all to load and unload clothes. I'm always careful to take my time and bend my knees instead of my back for the most part. It's not an issue for me so far.

Old 12-24-2021, 02:52 AM

7,567 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
When I retired and moved, I bought one of the all-in-one washer/dryers, front load, no pedestal to save space. It takes about 3 hours to do a load of laundry and the clothes come out dry. There's no need for a vent to the outside which is a big plus for me. I don't care how long it takes because it's not like I need to do laundry in a hurry anymore. The machine has it's positives and negatives, but overall I'm happy with it.
I don't bend my back much at all to load and unload clothes. I'm always careful to take my time and bend my knees instead of my back for the most part. It's not an issue for me so far.

I don't think I will be able to handle something like that in my lifetime. I guess I am stuck in my ways. I would not trust it works and I cannot wrap my mind around that. I know that is something Europeans do... It's too weird for me. It would be like growing my armpit hair out at this late stage in my life and being happy about it

Old 12-24-2021, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I don't think I will be able to handle something like that in my lifetime. I guess I am stuck in my ways. I would not trust it works and I cannot wrap my mind around that. I know that is something Europeans do... It's too weird for me. It would be like growing my armpit hair out at this late stage in my life and being happy about it
LOL, I get it, but the only real difference is that you don't need to take heavy wet clothes out of the washer and move them into the dryer which is a huge plus for me. It looks like a regular washing machine and works like one. It does have a few negatives, but once you no longer have to move the clothes from washer to dryer, the negatives are worth it, at least for me.

Besides not needing to move the clothes to the dryer, the positives are
-saves space
-no need for a dryer vent
-no need for a gas hookup or special electrical outlet. You just plug it into a regular outlet and hook up the water.

Negatives are
-small loads only
-clothes wrinkle easily if overloaded or you don't take the clothes out right after the dry cycle is completed. I always now set my timer on my cell phone to remind me when the clothes are done so regardless of where i am in the house, or what else I'm dong, I'm reminded it's time to take the clothes out.
-there is a filter you need to clean out once a month

I'm certain other models and brands will vary from my personal experience.

Last edited by marino760; 12-24-2021 at 03:26 AM..

Old 12-24-2021, 03:23 AM

Quote:
LOL, I get it, but the only real difference is that you don't need to take heavy wet clothes out of the washer and move them into the dryer which is a huge plus for me. It looks like a regular washing machine and works like one. It does have a few negatives, but once you no longer have to move the clothes from washer to dryer, the negatives are worth it, at least for me.

Besides not needing to move the clothes to the dryer, the positives are
-saves space
-no need for a dryer vent
-no need for a gas hookup or special electrical outlet. You just plug it into a regular outlet and hook up the water.

Negatives are
-small loads only
-clothes wrinkle easily if overloaded or you don't take the clothes out right after the dry cycle is completed.
-there is a filter you need to clean out once a month

I'm certain other models and brands will vary from my personal experience.

I buy a big enough one to put my largest quilts in. I wash everything at home (that I don't dry clean). I have been attached to doing laundry my whole life. My mother (also a Virgo) made me iron pillow cases and handkerchiefs back in the olden days when we ironed everything. We had a clothes line back then (still remembered those air dried sheets and clothes (yum).

Old 12-24-2021, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I buy a big enough one to put my largest quilts in. I wash everything at home (that I don't dry clean). I have been attached to doing laundry my whole life. My mother (also a Virgo) made me iron pillow cases and handkerchiefs back in the olden days when we ironed everything. We had a clothes line back then (still remembered those air dried sheets and clothes (yum).
That's how it was when I was a kid too. We never had a dryer. My mom would hang the clothes outside. If I have something large to wash which is pretty rare like a blanket, I take it to the cleaners which is close by. I would never recommend my washer/dryer combo for a young family with kids. For me, living by myself and being retired, it suits me fine.

Old 12-24-2021, 03:50 AM

Quote:
That's how it was when I was a kid too. We never had a dryer. My mom would hang the clothes outside. If I have something large to wash which is pretty rare like a blanket, I take it to the cleaners which is close by. I would never recommend my washer/dryer combo for a young family with kids. For me, living by myself and being retired, it suits me fine.

It's just me. But, I'm still working and I bought a 3/2 house to have guests because I moved to another state at 40. I have two fuzzy creatures living here and one is a professional shedder. I don't know if I will be able to afford to downsize or not as I may be pretty stuck where I'm at (who knows) I have about 7 years until I retire (probably).

I will probably still want my W/D in a condo (and I would knock down a bedroom to get it if I had to -- LOL.

Old 12-24-2021, 04:08 AM

881 posts, read 765,547 times
We have our laundry room in a closet (moved from basement in a 1959 ranch) We have a stacked 24” washer and dryer. I am 5’10” tall. Getting the clothes in and out of the washing machine isn’t an issue for either one of us. I just bend over.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:09 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,550,658 times
I would consider paying to have laundry washed, dried, folded or ironed but there is no service here that does that other than the dry cleaner (and that would require dropping off and picking up and significant cost). It’s a chore that never ends!

Old 12-24-2021, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I would consider paying to have laundry washed, dried, folded or ironed but there is no service here that does that other than the dry cleaner (and that would require dropping off and picking up and significant cost). It’s a chore that never ends!
That's why men get married and I have known women that traded the laundry for a different chore also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement