Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 07:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Not my experience. Cleaning every six months is more like it for me. I do two phantom loads of laundry using Physan 20 (bio and mildewcide), and then of Awesome Orange (degreaser) in both the detergent and fabric softener cups to remove any fabric softener and detergent residue. The door to the washer also gets left open between loads. Machines are different, and I don't doubt your experience, but I expect there may be significant buildups of residue somewhere if the smell comes back so quickly.
This has been my experience as well. I've never had an issue with front load washer smelling sour. I leave the door ajar between loads, run a cleaning cycle and wipe down the rubber gasket from time to time (probably not as often as I should with 2 dogs though). Also probably helpful I live in an arid climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 08:02 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I do keep telling myself I shouldn't replace them until I have to but....20 years is OLD and I'd like to be able to do BIG loads of laundry in terms of bedding and not have to take to the cleaners. Also, my sheets are getting twisted up more in the washer and balled up in the dryer which had never been an issue before so not sure why that's happening.

I don't have trouble bending over yet but it's more the bending over and twisting I can see necessary to get stuff out of the back of the washer. I don't have issues with the top load washer and easily scooping stuff over to the front load dryer right beside it. It feels a bit like folks getting rid of their ranch home and getting a 2-story a couple years before they are set to retire! Or buying new toilets and not thinking about getting the higher ones that are easier for when your knees later go bad.

But yeah, I just really want new and shiny appliances - I've not replaced any appliances since I built my home just over 20 years ago - so I'm lucky, but...bored? and want the new features! And I'm not OCD about having to keep the washer door closed - I can leave it open (just like I do my washer now!...and my shower door, for that matter) and let it dry out so I don't think mold or smell would be a problem.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:16 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
20 years is OLD?

My folks has toploader Maytag for close to 50 years. Still kicking & running strong.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:00 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But yeah, I just really want new and shiny appliances - I've not replaced any appliances since I built my home just over 20 years ago - so I'm lucky, but...bored? and want the new features!

What are the new features?

Old 12-24-2021, 10:07 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,158,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
20 years is OLD?

My folks has toploader Maytag for close to 50 years. Still kicking & running strong.
I had a 1980 Maytag that finally died in 2015. I think a gear box must have broken because there was black greasy type stuff on my clothing. I replaced the heating element in the dryer and it's still going strong. Luckily I don't care if my laundry machines match.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:12 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I didn't read all of these replies.

We always had top loaders. Several years ago, DH had back surgery and found that getting the clothes out (especially the washer) was difficult. I have hip problems and standing tip-toe to get the stuff at the bottom was a problem.

Three year old units were replaced with front loaders. No pedestals and No problem.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What are the new features?
Twice the capacity of mine and yet smaller footprint, more energy efficient, steam clean features, wifi connected/smart home, auto-sizing of loads, extra-fast 15 minutes cycle for small loads...shiny new colors! ha

Old 12-24-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
20 years is OLD?

Uhm yeah...20 is old, few folks have any appliances 50 years old but congratulations on yours.

I also keep cars for at least 10-15 years if possible. But as I've heard others mention (regarding cars) is even though they like their old vehicle and it still runs, there are 15 years of new safety and convenience features they'd like to get. I don't splurge on stuff, as proven by NOT getting ANY new appliances in 20 years. But...I'm just trying to get some additional features while thinking about practicality in 15 or 20 years.

It is interesting the people who have trouble getting clothes out of a top loading washer - that's not been an issue for me.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:36 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
I find reaching into the floor cabinets is very awkward these days (joint issues). So a front-loader would not be good for me. I've used them in vacation rentals and though they work fine, it's just awkward.

We have top-loaders and keep them in custom covers on our balcony. That's just how it is here.

Luckily, I have my pretzel-jointed skinny husband who can contort into any shape to reach anything. He does all the laundry too which amounts to once a week.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:40 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Luckily, I have my pretzel-jointed skinny husband who can contort into any shape to reach anything. He does all the laundry too which amounts to once a week.
Sounds like a good discussion on the Heart & Sex thread

Good excuse making hubby does laundry!! Just pay him with compliments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement