Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 01:09 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,715,640 times

Advertisements

Didn't read everything. I'm on my second set of front loaders. No pedestal for me. I like to use the top of the washer/dryer as a folding table/surface. I don't find bending over to pull the the close out problematic but maybe I might if I was 20 years older (57 now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 01:52 PM

23,547 posts, read 19,317,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
What in the world do you need a sink in the laundry room for? That's a total waste. I'd spend that money on higher end appliances. There's no way I want stackable anything.

Higher end machines still won't wash everything you might possibly need to. The utility sink in a laundry room can be used for a lot more than laundry. It can be used to soak things and not sideline your kitchen or bathroom sink in the process. If you have to interrupt a wash cycle you can put the soggy contents aside in the sink temporarily. You can dye garments and spare your machines from objects they aren't designed to handle...small dogs, tools, paintbrushes, boots, fish or game, potted plants, pet related things like cages and carriers, the uses are endless. OK, I happen to live in a climate that makes cleaning household objects with an outdoor hose impractical for half the year so having access to water that's warmer than 34F is a plus. Maybe your day-to-day life is a lot cleaner than mine, but if the house I bought didn't have a utility sink anywhere and there was room for one in the laundry room I installed one! All the houses I've sold ended up with an added utility sink. Never did a single potential buyer complain about it...just the opposite. Besides, the hot/cold water lines are relatively accessible there. Better than running an entire new line to a garage!

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-24-2021 at 02:02 PM..

Old 12-24-2021, 05:44 PM

7,846 posts, read 3,436,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Higher end machines still won't wash everything you might possibly need to. The utility sink in a laundry room can be used for a lot more than laundry. It can be used to soak things and not sideline your kitchen or bathroom sink in the process. If you have to interrupt a wash cycle you can put the soggy contents aside in the sink temporarily. You can dye garments and spare your machines from objects they aren't designed to handle...small dogs, tools, paintbrushes, boots, fish or game, potted plants, pet related things like cages and carriers, the uses are endless. OK, I happen to live in a climate that makes cleaning household objects with an outdoor hose impractical for half the year so having access to water that's warmer than 34F is a plus. Maybe your day-to-day life is a lot cleaner than mine, but if the house I bought didn't have a utility sink anywhere and there was room for one in the laundry room I installed one! All the houses I've sold ended up with an added utility sink. Never did a single potential buyer complain about it...just the opposite. Besides, the hot/cold water lines are relatively accessible there. Better than running an entire new line to a garage!

Thanks for explaining.

I have adjusted to not soaking things (the front loader cleans everything as there is a steam option and I played around with color safe bleach and detergents, etc. and it has cycles for everything). It's big enough to handle every blanket, quilt, comforter I own and I can also use it for small loads of delicates.

Yes, where I live is between 45 and 85 degrees over 80 percent of the time.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,009,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Not my experience. Cleaning every six months is more like it for me. I do two phantom loads of laundry using Physan 20 (bio and mildewcide), and then of Awesome Orange (degreaser) in both the detergent and fabric softener cups to remove any fabric softener and detergent residue. The door to the washer also gets left open between loads. Machines are different, and I don't doubt your experience, but I expect there may be significant buildups of residue somewhere if the smell comes back so quickly.
I have never cleaned my front load washer. I don't use scented detergents and I leave the door open when not in use so it can dry out.

There was information out a few years ago about certain models of front load washers that had an odor problem. They were not rinsing properly. There may have been a recall, but I'm not sure of that.

Old 12-24-2021, 06:23 PM

10,642 posts, read 12,220,563 times
Quote:
What in the world do you need a sink in the laundry room for? That's a total waste. I'd spend that money on higher end appliances. There's no way I want stackable anything.

Are you serious?
I wouldn't be without a utility sink somewhere -- laundry room, garage -- someplace.

It's larger than other sinks for soaking items. But mostly I use mine for rinsing out or cleaning anything super dirty that I don't want in a bathroom or kitchen sink:
-- planters/flower pots
-- paint brushes and other supplies
-- tools
-- buckets/pails

A utility sink is a must for me.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Are you serious?
I wouldn't be without a utility sink somewhere -- laundry room, garage -- someplace.

It's larger than other sinks for soaking items. But mostly I use mine for rinsing out or cleaning anything super dirty that I don't want in a bathroom or kitchen sink:
-- planters/flower pots
-- paint brushes and other supplies
-- tools
-- buckets/pails

A utility sink is a must for me.

That's mostly a hose... ...for me...

Old 12-24-2021, 10:00 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,793,621 times
We have a front load washer without a pedestal and at 68, I don’t have a problem pulling things out. I feel like I’m playing Wheel of Fortune spinning the tub around to make sure I get everything that’s plastered to the walls from centrifugal force.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:39 PM

10,980 posts, read 7,524,107 times
I installed a utility sink in my last house and liked it so much, I put in a second one!
The first one was fully plumbed, and very convenient for potting plants. I was constantly cleaning out the drain, so we added another just outside the door.
#2 one was served with a hose, and drained to a gravel patch under the sink. It was perfect for gardening and for cleaning up after making pottery; you don't want clay going down the drain.

Old 12-25-2021, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I installed a utility sink in my last house and liked it so much, I put in a second one!
The first one was fully plumbed, and very convenient for potting plants. I was constantly cleaning out the drain, so we added another just outside the door.
#2 one was served with a hose, and drained to a gravel patch under the sink. It was perfect for gardening and for cleaning up after making pottery; you don't want clay going down the drain.

What I've always wanted is an outdoor shower. My lot is not big enough.

Old 12-25-2021, 09:13 AM

10,980 posts, read 7,524,107 times
Quote:
What I've always wanted is an outdoor shower. My lot is not big enough.
We had an outdoor shower, too! I never used it, but hubby did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement