Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2022, 07:41 PM

8,347 posts, read 4,377,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Because most women do not naturally gravitate to being the provider, aka "man of the house". In an ideal situation, she would be at home raising the children while the man provides. Back in the 50s, a nuclear family of a man, wife and two kids could live on just the man's income. The rise of women financially has now created the mandatory two income household, some women deciding to not have kids at all in large part because it's become prohibitively expensive especially in the high COL areas of the country. This is much more pronounced in Japan where young people dont even bother dating or getting married because its just too expensive. The US is headed the same way.

So yeah, it was a much better idea for women to be dependent on a husband.

Whose ideal situation would that be? Different people should do whatever they think is ideal for them, not what you think is ideal :-). Overpopulation is the reason for all major social problems (eg, surely it is the main, and almost sole, remaining reason for poverty), so women who don't want to have kids (for financial reasons, or for any other darn reason that is only their own private business) in fact greatly benefit the society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 07:43 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Because most women do not naturally gravitate to being the provider, aka "man of the house". In an ideal situation, she would be at home raising the children while the man provides. Back in the 50s, a nuclear family of a man, wife and two kids could live on just the man's income. The rise of women financially has now created the mandatory two income household, some women deciding to not have kids at all in large part because it's become prohibitively expensive especially in the high COL areas of the country. This is much more pronounced in Japan where young people dont even bother dating or getting married because its just too expensive. The US is headed the same way.

So you're saying that "the rise of women financially has now created the mandatory two income household"? That women "deciding" to work CAUSED/RESULTED in the mandatory two income household? Can you explain exactly how you came to that conclusion and why the apparent need for additional income didn't result in more women working outside the home?

Old 01-01-2022, 07:44 PM

1,347 posts, read 944,866 times
Quote:
For the husbands, sure. For the women... well, that's a gamble.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post

Doubt that a financially dependent wife is what most younger-generation guys want nowadays. In fact, I have heard just the opposite.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:06 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,439,529 times
Quote:
What about the children?

Old 01-01-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
What about the children?

I am now 62, but when I was 6 (I still remember it! :-), some dumb cow, the mother of some other kid from my class, asked me "sweetly" wouldn't I be so happy if my mom (like probably herself) didn't work but stayed with me at home. Genuinely confused, and with a sincerity of a 6 year old, I replied "oh no, I'd be embarassed" :-).

Old 01-01-2022, 08:13 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,439,529 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Doubt that a financially dependent wife is what most younger-generation guys want nowadays. In fact, I have heard just the opposite.
Well that depends
A parasitic guy who’s looking for some dumb chick to finance his lifestyle? Absolutely he wants the financially independent woman
A man who is looking to be a husband? He would actually avoid the “independent woman”. Such a woman would typically find it very difficult to be a wife who accepts her husband as the leader of the family. Smart men avoid this headache by not pursuing such women.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:16 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I am now 62, but when I was 6 (I still remember it! :-), some dumb cow, the mother of some other kid from my class, asked me "sweetly" wouldn't I be so happy if my mom (like probably herself) didn't work but stayed with me at home. Genuinely confused, and with a sincerity of a 6 year old, I replied "oh no, I'd be embarassed" :-).
Ho Ho Ho!

the website refuses to allow me to rep you again.

Great post!

Old 01-01-2022, 08:25 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
My wife has no interest in investing and retirement income. It's a chore just to keep her informed on how the retirement funds, retirement instruments, and investments work, their values, and alternatives. She does know that investing is important. She cares that the household account is steady, regular, and increasing. She does a good job in managing the household budget.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Well that depends
A parasitic guy who’s looking for some dumb chick to finance his lifestyle? Absolutely he wants the financially independent woman
A man who is looking to be a husband? He would actually avoid the “independent woman”. Such a woman would typically find it very difficult to be a wife who accepts her husband as the leader of the family. Smart men avoid this headache by not pursuing such women.

No, I am talking about ambitious, capable guys, who want someone similarly ambitious and capable as their spouse, so they can have an exciting and prosperous marital life together. I gather you are not familiar with that because you live somewhere far away from the realm of the ambitious and capable? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement