Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 10:13 PM

7,688 posts, read 3,309,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I always counted the value of my home (equity) as part of my retirement funds. If I need to go into an assisted living arrangement, I can always sell my house and use the proceeds for multiple years of assisted living payments.
I agree with this line of thinking. However, I understand why married people don't think the same way. It's more complicated for two people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 10:20 PM

7,688 posts, read 3,309,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't think it would be hard to find an investor to buy the home, though the OP may not get the price he wants. People who invest in real estate like having responsible renters already in place. But if for some reason the OP started neglecting the house or trashing it, the investor could get him out.

I was a little shocked at the $6k/month. My house is about 2x the value of his, my mortgage will be more than his and the payment is about $4k/month. I hope to refinance that. I have finally come over to the "I'm retired and it makes no sense to pay this off" camp. Once the divorce is final and the property is mine alone, I'm not going to get comfortable here. I'll sell the place to the first entity that offers a reasonable price.

OTOH, stbx may put up a fuss about me having this property, in which case I would get the paid-off California house with Prop 13. Win-win.
Wow, things have evolved or I never picked up on the divorce. I'd keep the CA house until 2029-ish and let it double again and then sell. Or, I guess based on how long you think you'll live. I would never have left CA if I could have afforded it (no way).

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 01-13-2022 at 10:30 PM..

Old 01-14-2022, 02:30 AM

106,863 posts, read 109,133,761 times
For most of us , when we reach retirement all we have is retirement savings .

There is no distinction in liquid assets

There is only a distinction between retirement money that is part of the income generation pool and net worth which includes non liquid assets and assets of value we choose not to sell or sell yet

Old 01-14-2022, 07:09 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,976,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I agree with this line of thinking. However, I understand why married people don't think the same way. It's more complicated for two people.
Yes, couples think differently. But some if them forget that eventually there will be only one of them.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:38 AM

198 posts, read 109,503 times
A secure future

1. retirement account(s)
2. 5 yrs expenses in cash emergency fund. Hide very well in a fire proof save. Many ones, fives and tens.
3. Self sustaining property somewhere- Fish pond, poles and supplies, raise animals, fruit trees, and vegetables on property large enough people cannot see these resources (to steal later on). What plants can be grown to assist with any current medical issues? Plenty of matches and Coffee.
6. Assume any funds related to the computer are gone. Pensions, 401k, etc.
7. Guns and enough Ammo to last 5 years.
8. A few working RV if your bug out shelter is destroyed.
9. Good Quality bicycles- extra tubes and tools to fix when needed.
10. Fruit trees
11. Get a book on edible plants in your area
12. Pick property which is way out there....very few people in town. Yet near a constant water source like rivers.
13. Have plenty of bibles on-hand

Cover every aspect of any circumstance which may arise, if you can. Or to the extent you can

COVID has shown us how the food supply can be disrupted.We only need so much money to live then with the excess, we can secure any situation which arises. Promised Unemployment funds not being rightfully granted. If you were blessed enough to have the funds to pay someone to prepare for you, otherwise DIY.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:43 AM

997 posts, read 712,210 times
I do not count my house or car, both of which are paid off. I count cash, IRAs, and non retirement money.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:16 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,976,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonLady View Post
A secure future

1. retirement account(s)
2. 5 yrs expenses in cash emergency fund. Hide very well in a fire proof save. Many ones, fives and tens.
3. Self sustaining property somewhere- Fish pond, poles and supplies, raise animals, fruit trees, and vegetables on property large enough people cannot see these resources (to steal later on). What plants can be grown to assist with any current medical issues? Plenty of matches and Coffee.
6. Assume any funds related to the computer are gone. Pensions, 401k, etc.
7. Guns and enough Ammo to last 5 years.
8. A few working RV if your bug out shelter is destroyed.
9. Good Quality bicycles- extra tubes and tools to fix when needed.
10. Fruit trees
11. Get a book on edible plants in your area
12. Pick property which is way out there....very few people in town. Yet near a constant water source like rivers.
13. Have plenty of bibles on-hand

Cover every aspect of any circumstance which may arise, if you can. Or to the extent you can

COVID has shown us how the food supply can be disrupted.We only need so much money to live then with the excess, we can secure any situation which arises. Promised Unemployment funds not being rightfully granted. If you were blessed enough to have the funds to pay someone to prepare for you, otherwise DIY.

You might enjoy the Self Sufficiency and Preparedness forum here on City Data.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/self...-preparedness/

Old 01-14-2022, 05:35 PM

198 posts, read 109,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You might enjoy the Self Sufficiency and Preparedness forum here on City Data.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/self...-preparedness/
I am aware of that forum, thank you. It's almost exclusively geared towards a group called Preppers, in which, I don't have that kind of energy.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:45 AM

7,183 posts, read 4,593,016 times
I would never have 5 years of expenses laying around the house. Sorry balloon lady but all those plans aren’t necessary.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:21 PM

37,659 posts, read 46,099,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I would never have 5 years of expenses laying around the house. Sorry balloon lady but all those plans aren’t necessary.
Seriously. That was a bit wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement