Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 10:34 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,518,174 times

Advertisements

I am signing today for a cash-out refinance as I posted elsewhere. My monthly mortgage will only go up about $200 and is still only 1/5 of my retirement income (pension and Soc. Sec.)

If I had to sell and move for health reasons (the only reason I would sell) I'd be moving to senior rental in a city or two. Housing is nuts where I'm living. With remote working, better Internet here, and the town 26 miles away with a regional airport and good hospital, it's growing smartly and well. I do hope to stay here to the end of life, though. Good hospice service here also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 10:35 AM

6,896 posts, read 11,289,939 times
Smile Net amount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Someone who has 200,000 in savingsd and 1,000,000 equity in a home is better situated for retirement than someone who has 700,000 in savings and no home equity.

I count my equity as retirement savings because I didn't plan well and need to count it. But that is a different story.
Well, that makes me feel better.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:36 AM

489 posts, read 420,485 times
I would not call it "retirement savings". I would call it a fixed asset. Certainly a given retirement strategy may call for asset liquidation (one such strategy being a reverse mortgage). Along these same lines, a pension can be considered an "annuity asset". An interesting exercise is to take a pension income, say $50K a year that is adjusted each year for inflation, and estimate the cost to replicate that income stream by purchase of a single premium income annuity.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:37 AM

17,612 posts, read 16,769,748 times
A person who has 50K equity in a 700K home is in a different position than someone who owns their 700K home outright.

If the first person goes to sell their home they may find themselves tapping into their savings just to pay realtor fees and other closing expenses.

If the second person sells their home, they can use their rather substantial proceeds from the sale of their home to purchase a smaller home outright and have money leftover to spend as they choose.

Obviously, if you have little or no home equity you do not factor that into your wealth. Of course, if you own a home that you can not sell within a reasonable time frame then downsizing and freeing up equity may not even be possible so your wealth would be mainly on paper.

A lot depends on your local real estate market.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:34 AM

20,714 posts, read 16,491,081 times
My home is part of my net worth but I don't count on it explicitly as part of my "retirement savings". It's there in the back of my mind that there's value there as probably my last asset if or when I end up in a nursing home - so it's generally an unpleasant thought.

I had a grandmother and a great aunt who both ended up in nursing homes for a decade or longer - and I visited them weekly as a child/teenager. So I know that it can happen and what that's all about. It's much more likely if you are never married, widowed, or divorced with no kids around. Otherwise "they" tend to help keep you out of a home for at least a few years - those are the "lucky" ones who are there for just a year or two.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:38 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,772,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
To me, an IF isn't the same as an IS.

You home's equity varies with the real estate market. That's about as consistent as the weather.
Exactly. IF you sell the house, you still have to pay to live somewhere else, whether renting or owning.

In our area, like so many others, selling even a house that can be sold for more than paid means looking in a market of overpriced, oversought properties. It is one thing to voluntarily downsize and get something desirable. It is a whole different thing to be forced out and only have lousy pickings for the given budget.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:51 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,009,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Who's to say the new owner would want a renter? How are you going to negotiate something like that?

Although, with your $600k in the bank, I'm sure you could find something to rent that you like. Probably for a lot less than $6k a month!
It was an EXAMPLE! Just a way to show the relationship between rental and mortgage costs.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:07 PM

6,799 posts, read 5,691,112 times
Not sure how you can use equity as retirement savings unless you truly do plan on selling.
Seems like you would simply sell your home.. buy a new home for less and pocket the left over, which would count towards retirement savings.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:53 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,009,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Not sure how you can use equity as retirement savings unless you truly do plan on selling.
Seems like you would simply sell your home.. buy a new home for less and pocket the left over, which would count towards retirement savings.
I would sell my home to finance monthly costs of assisted living or nursing home if/when I need that care. Retirement includes end of life planning, as well as travel and other bucket list items that one plans for in the earlier retirement years. .

Old 01-05-2022, 01:30 PM

18,449 posts, read 15,909,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I agreed with the camp that does not count home equity as retirement savings.

I further differentiate between "retirement savings" from "retirement income" and from "net worth".
I do the same in my planning & calculations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement