Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 08:17 PM

687 posts, read 636,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I just turned 66 and the other day I decided to request my social security monthly payment online via the ssa.gov website. There was a question that I'm concerned that I answered incorrectly. I don't remember the exact wording of the question but it asked if I had ever received earnings for which I didn't have social security/medicare taxes withheld. I answered Yes because of the following earnings in 2021:

Up until 2020 I worked a regular job and I paid SS/Medicare Taxes on my entire earnings since starting to work in 1973. In April 2021, I had a contract job and made about $1700 (before I decided I didn't like contracting ). I did send in $200 to the IRS with a form 1040ES in April. I answered Yes to the question because I didn't know if the $200 I sent in covered only Federal Tax or Federal Tax and SS/MC Tax. This $1700 is the only earnings I've had since January 2021.

Should I have answered Yes? I see this message on the SSA site:

1) Does anyone know if I was supposed to answer yes?
2) Does anyone know how long this review will really take?

Thanks in advance!
That question is usually answered yes for people who work at jobs like civil service used to be for federal government - no social security taxes were withheld (that has changed for FERS employees). Some teaching jobs have also been like that.

I'm not sure if your Schedule C contract job counts in that or not because I think technically that might not be "earnings" (at least not W2 earnings) but it was self-employment income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 02:00 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Update on my situation:

I got a direct deposit into my bank account on 02/01/2022, which is the money for January. SSA didn't call, email or send anything about my question in the original post, I only know that I had a payment by looking at my bank balance.

Another question, thanks in advance! I already paid the $170.10 for Medicare Part B for the first 3 months of 2022 (total of $510.30 paid on 12/20/2021). The SSA is deducting the $170.10 starting with my first payment so I will have paid them twice for Medicare Part B for these first 3 months. Is this something that SSA will refund to me automatically or do I have to contact them to fix this?

And they round down 20 cents because they have to pay a whole number? lol, what's up with that???

Old 02-05-2022, 06:49 PM

207 posts, read 118,865 times
Quote:
Update on my situation:

I got a direct deposit into my bank account on 02/01/2022, which is the money for January. SSA didn't call, email or send anything about my question in the original post, I only know that I had a payment by looking at my bank balance.

Another question, thanks in advance! I already paid the $170.10 for Medicare Part B for the first 3 months of 2022 (total of $510.30 paid on 12/20/2021). The SSA is deducting the $170.10 starting with my first payment so I will have paid them twice for Medicare Part B for these first 3 months. Is this something that SSA will refund to me automatically or do I have to contact them to fix this?

And they round down 20 cents because they have to pay a whole number? lol, what's up with that???
I thought social security only paid on the 2,3,&4 Wednesday of the month? SSI pays on the first of the month and that’s an entirely different program and other income may count.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc58 View Post
I thought social security only paid on the 2,3,&4 Wednesday of the month? SSI pays on the first of the month and that’s an entirely different program and other income may count.
Yea, they said because it was my first payment ever that it was deposited on the the first of the month, it actually hit my account on February 5th for January's payment. Future payments will be on or around the second Wednesday of each month.

The strange thing is they increased January's payment by $170.10 and then took $170.10 as a deduction, so I'm okay with this. But the letter states that they are going to deduct the Part B amount ($170.10) in March and April (for payment months of February and March) and I've already paid this in December.

I'm really confused about this, I don't even think I'll be able to explain/question this to someone on the phone. If they take the Part B deduction on the next 2 payments, I believe I'll be shorted by $340.20. Can anyone help me understand?

Last edited by SanyBelle; 02-05-2022 at 08:12 PM..

Old 02-05-2022, 08:49 PM

207 posts, read 118,865 times
Quote:
Yea, they said because it was my first payment ever that it was deposited on the the first of the month, it actually hit my account on February 5th for January's payment. Future payments will be on or around the second Wednesday of each month.

The strange thing is they increased January's payment by $170.10 and then took $170.10 as a deduction, so I'm okay with this. But the letter states that they are going to deduct the Part B amount ($170.10) in March and April (for payment months of February and March) and I've already paid this in December.

I'm really confused about this, I don't even think I'll be able to explain/question this to someone on the phone. If they take the Part B deduction on the next 2 payments, I believe I'll be shorted by $340.20. Can anyone help me understand?
Interesting on your first payment. I’m supposed to get my first deposit for January benefits on 2/9- the regular payment date. I’ve never received it before.

I can’t help with the Medicare payment question as I don’t receive MC yet. I will say I would bet they have something in place for adjustments due to pre payment. You can’t be the first one to have that happen. Unless the money was critical I would wait to see if it all straightens out. Calling would give me a headache!

Old 02-06-2022, 07:10 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
SS is pretty good keeping track and issuing refunds for duplicate Medicare payments, as it's a normal, regular occurance with them. Normally a call to them is not necessary. When this happened to my wife, the refund took a full month, iirc.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc58 View Post
Interesting on your first payment. I’m supposed to get my first deposit for January benefits on 2/9- the regular payment date. I’ve never received it before.
I was never told when to expect the first payment, it just showed up in my bank account and I got a hard copy letter yesterday. Let me know if your payment is seamless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
SS is pretty good keeping track and issuing refunds for duplicate Medicare payments, as it's a normal, regular occurance with them. Normally a call to them is not necessary. When this happened to my wife, the refund took a full month, iirc.
Thanks, I'm not going to call them, I'll just track it for the next month or two. I'll report back. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2022, 04:49 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
Update on my situation:

My brother had the same issue with Medicare Part B. Paid for 3 months with a credit card, and then started SS and they started taking it out of his deposit. A month or two later, a payment showed up in his bank account that was a refund of the credit card charge. (They did not issue a credit to his credit card.) We did not have to call or contact anyone for this to happen. So just keep an eye on your deposits.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
My brother had the same issue with Medicare Part B. Paid for 3 months with a credit card, and then started SS and they started taking it out of his deposit. A month or two later, a payment showed up in his bank account that was a refund of the credit card charge. (They did not issue a credit to his credit card.) We did not have to call or contact anyone for this to happen. So just keep an eye on your deposits.
Exactly my situation. Thanks! I'll keep watch.

Last edited by SanyBelle; 02-06-2022 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement