Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2022, 02:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 3,476,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What about the rent-control you frequently mention as a good thing? Isn't that gov't interference?
What you are failing to understand that in NYC anyone with less that $100 million is poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 03:43 AM

107,465 posts, read 109,882,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
What you are failing to understand that in NYC anyone with less that $100 million is poor.
..actually nyc is the haven for those with little ..we are the unskilled labor capital of the country.

Many of the lowest incomes end up with more then those earning more because of all the social perks and benefits

Old 01-17-2022, 03:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 3,476,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
..actually nyc is the haven for those with little ..we are the unskilled labor capital of the country.

Many of the lowest incomes end up with more then those earning more because of all the social perks and benefits
The more I read what you write I'm considering retiring there -- LOL

Old 01-17-2022, 03:57 AM

If you qualify there is a lot here ..it is the middle class that is squeezed here

Old 01-17-2022, 06:26 AM

17,688 posts, read 16,830,804 times
One idea that I've thought of is that some of the failing colleges could have their campuses converted into affordable senior living residences. As many of us know, dorm rooms are basic but quite livable and the campuses could have a shuttle between the dining hall, health services, campus grocery store, community rooms and even senior classes. There are often walkable college towns right outside of college campuses.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:56 AM

9,555 posts, read 16,621,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Yes it is quite a few of us. This same exact thing happening to me now in California. The OP , what Ruth said and your post also .
I bought this in cash in 2019 . This is a nice taped and bedded fancy trailer , hardwood floors, the new brushed steel appliances etc etc . The park requires an extensive background check and a credit score of no lower than 750 for everyone here . No renters . The place was bought by a company and now is raising the rent to where I am now going to be better off in a house back out in the country ( lower sierras ) with my broodmares than living in his paid off place. A nice house actually . This makes me quite sad but I have to do what is best financially . They told me last year that the rent will be raised $25 every year for the foreseeable future .

and no thanks to Nebraska or Va ( to the person who posted that ) I am not leaving here or leaving my husband who is buried in the Sierras . Won't happen . Most of us who live here are not trying to be hip or cool , this is our home and we get on well here . Also not everywhere in California is priced like the coastal areas are .

I thought about Laguna Woods but they require 150,000 liquid cash in addition to the purchase price of the house in the bank to be able to get in . So thats a no go .
I don't blame you for not wanting to leave your home. It get to the point it feels like there are no options at all. I'd say a no go to that Laguna Woods also.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:17 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,093,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Your Father taught you right. I will add people don't need to buy brand new cars or go on a vacation every year. I see so many people with nice homes, pool and even a maid yet they pay all that money to go away for vacation. To me their home is a vacation.

If possible young employees need to look into a deferred Comp with their employer. Especially if they don't have a 401K plan with their job.

There is also reverse mortgage if a retired person owns a home but be careful with that. If I am at a point where I know medically, I am not going to live much longer I would do it if I needed the money. If I am healthy then no I wouldn't because I think the bank would evict me when the money loan runs out. they want that money and if the owner lives to long, they won't get their profit soon enough. They are also a rip off I think because they over charge with interest, so they make a **** load of money in interest then they sell the property and make more on that. Its only worth it if there is no family to help with feeding me or getting repairs done in my home and I know I won't live long enough to worry about the bank getting my home.
It’s not even about denying yourself everything in life and pinching every last penny but simply about living within your means. By all means splurge on things that will increase in value, that being your house, but don’t buy a Lexus with a Corolla paycheck or stay at the Ritz with Holiday Inn paycheck. Don’t be a fool with your money and always toss at least 10% into your 401K and you’ll have over a million by the time you retire even if your paycheck never breaks six figures.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:21 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,093,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
The more I read what you write I'm considering retiring there -- LOL
That’s the funny thing - total up the cash value of all the taxpayer-paid goodies handed out to those on the dole and you’ll realize you’ll looking at the equivalent of a six figure paycheck in a place like NYC or Boston.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:32 AM

Medicaid , food stamps ,section 8 , exemption from rent increases and all kinds of individual assistance from utilities ..plus maybe ssi or ssdi ,or welfare checks

That stuff can really add up when comparing it to a taxable income in a heavy tax state

Old 01-17-2022, 09:39 AM

13,760 posts, read 12,580,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
So in your mind 10% of the population is on good shape snd the other 90% are screwed? You are WAY off base with your numbers.
I don't that 90% are "screwed," more like 90% that have the potential to be screwed. Take something like MS, a child born with disabilities, etc...I know one family that would have likely lost it all had the mother not been able to work remote; she's a nurse, but had taken a job in administration...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And you continue to miss the point that for some, more today than perhaps ever before,
there has always been a hard limit to what many can achieve or should ever be expected to achieve.
Most of their problems are rooted in their numbers and that has been the case since the late 60's

With less competition and/or a stronger labor voice even the menial jobs WERE better paid.
Better hours, better benefits, better security, better pay. Even pensions. A few still are like that but not many.
iow NO! the bootstrap arguments are (almost) all complete crap
The bootstraps argument is as flawed as your zero-sum argument. It's really never that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement