Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 09:34 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Just to clarify, I've read the websites and the rules. What I asked for was whether anyone has actually tried to wriggle through the actual process and reached an end result. Virtually everything Immigtation does is the discretion of an officer handling the case, there are no rules. I' looking for experiences on the ground;
Well, that might be true of Immigration staff, but Social Security does have and uses their rule book, known as POMS (Program Operations Manual System)

This one speaks to the 5 year residency rule, with examples.

RS 02610.030 5 Year Residency Requirements for Spouses, Natural Child, Adopted Child, and a Parent

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.n...0!opendocument

Good Luck with finding actual experiences. Have you explored any of the ex-pat related web sites, such as:

https://www.aaro.org/
https://www.americansabroad.org/
https://www.expatforum.com/forums/br...g-in-the-uk.8/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 12:27 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Just to clarify, I've read the websites and the rules. What I asked for was whether anyone has actually tried to wriggle through the actual process and reached an end result. Virtually everything Immigtation does is the discretion of an officer handling the case, there are no rules. I' looking for experiences on the ground;

You give no information about the surviving spouse for anyone to really give you anything that will help. What country is this in? How old is the spouse? I guess I should also ask, has the American husband died yet or are they trying to figure out how to get her to qualify for when he does?

My last reply I gave you the run down, I assume she was not a US citizen or green card holder? Has she lived outside of the USA for six consecutive months? If both of these apply to her, she is out of luck unless she meets the exceptions that I listed.

Has the widow contacted social security to say he died or has he not died yet?

There are other things besides social security benefits. The American husband may have a pension where he would/could add the wife to be beneficiary. There could also be life insurance and bank accounts. Some of the above can be set up to pay out on death which is referred to as POD to make it easier for the foreign wife to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Well, that might be true of Immigration staff, but Social Security does have and uses their rule book, known as POMS (Program Operations Manual System)

This one speaks to the 5 year residency rule, with examples.

RS 02610.030 5 Year Residency Requirements for Spouses, Natural Child, Adopted Child, and a Parent

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.n...0!opendocument

Good Luck with finding actual experiences. Have you explored any of the ex-pat related web sites, such as:

https://www.aaro.org/
https://www.americansabroad.org/
https://www.expatforum.com/forums/br...g-in-the-uk.8/

As I said above, the OP hasn't given much information for anyone to give advice or experiences that will help.

The sites you linked AARO - Association of Americans living overseas - they have a small page about social security

ACA - American Citizens Abroad, they also have a page about social security

I did some googling for ex-Pat forums. The one you linked says UK.

Ex-Pat forum This appears to be a large forum that includes all of the countries.

Ex-Pat Forum #2

Top 15 Expat Forums, Discussions and Message Boards - it opens each forum in something called feedspot, so you may have to google the forum it suggests.

Reddit/Ex-Pat

Old 01-12-2022, 05:39 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
I intentionally threw a wide net, hoping an anecdote might bubble up, from which one might deduce what factors were germane.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:39 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Well it appears that the rules are complicated, so one person's experience will have little bearing on the answer you seek, as the circumstances are unlikely to be the same, or even similar enough to draw a parallel. The country of the spouse's citizenship, whether or not they ever resided in the US, length of US residency, marital status during that residency, spouse's age, etc, etc, all could affect the spouse's eligibility.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I intentionally threw a wide net, hoping an anecdote might bubble up, from which one might deduce what factors were germane.

As shadow said, there's too many variables. People would just be wasting time like I've already done. You probably already had all of that info.

I suggest you go to one of those ex-pat boards, maybe they can read your mind?

Old 01-12-2022, 09:20 AM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Where do you see immigration getting involved

Old 01-12-2022, 09:21 AM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Anecdotes and Social Security do not go together.

Old 01-12-2022, 06:55 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Where do you see immigration getting involved
Without legal immigration, the chance of a survivor benefit is zero. That looks like a pretty clear involvement.

Let me rephrase my OP. Do you know of any instance in which a foreign widow of a US ex-pat successfullu fulfilled the immigration pre-requisite?

Old 01-14-2022, 08:34 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Quote:
Without legal immigration, the chance of a survivor benefit is zero. That looks like a pretty clear involvement.

Let me rephrase my OP. Do you know of any instance in which a foreign widow of a US ex-pat successfullu fulfilled the immigration pre-requisite?
What is "successfully fulfilled the immigration pre-requisite"? Can you please be clear about what you are asking?

Are you asking if anyone knows of a foreign-born, non U.S. citizen spouse receiving SS survivor benefits while living outside the U.S.?

Old 01-16-2022, 02:17 AM

Quote:

You're still too vague.

We don't know if the foreign born surviving spouse ever came to the US, whether they lived here for the amount of time that was listed in my post below, if not it says most likely can not get benefits, unless they qualify under one of the other rules listed.

As I've said, I think you may have better luck at one of the ex-pat boards unless you've tried that already? They would know more than any of us do.

It sounds like the foreign born spouse is SOL ($hit out of luck)...

If the retired ex-pat spouse is still alive, he should provide for her in other ways, such as writing a will, having it notarized, plus adding the spouse as beneficiary for life insurance and bank accounts. They can set some of them up as payable on death (POD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I found another decent article.

What I've always heard is that social security doesn't want to pay out money to people who are not American citizens, but that's only partially right.

Social Security Spousal Benefits for American Expats with a Foreign Spouse

Quote:
Can a foreign spouse of American expats receive social security spousal benefits?

As a general rule, a foreign spouse cannot obtain social security spousal benefits if the both rules are met:

1. Foreign spouse is not a US citizen or green card holder.

2. Foreign spouse has lived outside of the USA for six consecutive months.

However, there are three exceptions to this rule. The country of citizenship and residence as well as the period of US residence play a key role in determining the eligibility for social security spousal benefits.
What is the list of countries which citizens can receive US social security spouse benefits?

This is the first exception. A foreign spouse can receive social security spousal benefits if s/he is a citizen of the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom

Canada, Chile, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea

As long as a foreign spouse is 62 years old and a citizen of one of the above countries, s/he can claim social security spouse benefits. Also, US spouse must be receiving social security benefits.
In which countries should a foreign spouse reside to get social security spouse benefits?

This is the second exception. The USA has an extensive list of Social Security agreements with foreign countries. A social security agreement is also called a Totalization agreement. We wrote an article about Socials Security Agreements earlier. A foreign spouse of an American expat can receive social security spousal benefits If a foreign spouse has reached a retirement age of 62 years old and has been a resident of one the below countries. The following countries have a Social Security Agreement with the USA:

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea (South), Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom
How long should two spouses live in the USA so a foreign spouse can obtain social security spousal benefits?

This is the third exception. If a foreign spouse of an American expat is not a citizen of resident of one of the countries listed above, then this spouse can still claim social security spousal benefits if the following requirements are met:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You give no information about the surviving spouse for anyone to really give you anything that will help. What country is this in? How old is the spouse? I guess I should also ask, has the American husband died yet or are they trying to figure out how to get her to qualify for when he does?

My last reply I gave you the run down, I assume she was not a US citizen or green card holder? Has she lived outside of the USA for six consecutive months? If both of these apply to her, she is out of luck unless she meets the exceptions that I listed.

Has the widow contacted social security to say he died or has he not died yet?

There are other things besides social security benefits. The American husband may have a pension where he would/could add the wife to be beneficiary. There could also be life insurance and bank accounts. Some of the above can be set up to pay out on death which is referred to as POD to make it easier for the foreign wife to get.

As I said above, the OP hasn't given much information for anyone to give advice or experiences that will help.

The sites you linked AARO - Association of Americans living overseas - they have a small page about social security

ACA - American Citizens Abroad, they also have a page about social security

I did some googling for ex-Pat forums. The one you linked says UK.

Ex-Pat forum This appears to be a large forum that includes all of the countries.

Ex-Pat Forum #2

Top 15 Expat Forums, Discussions and Message Boards - it opens each forum in something called feedspot, so you may have to google the forum it suggests.

Reddit/Ex-Pat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement