Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 09:50 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a story about this?

What happens if an American SS-retiree marries in a foreign country, then dies there. Googling, it seems that the widow must first become a SS beneficiary on her own. But how easy / hard / impossible for her to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 01:02 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

What happens if an American SS-retiree marries in a foreign country, then dies there. Googling, it seems that the widow must first become a SS beneficiary on her own. But how easy / hard / impossible for her to do that?

If the husband has died, I think the widow is out of luck to be a "social security beneficiary" on her own. It would mean that you'd have to immigrate to the US on a spousal visa. It would not work because the American spouse is deceased.

I'm not sure you could even apply for the $200 death benefit.

Hopefully someone has notified the US social security association that he has died so his monthly benefits stop because they will want it back.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:37 AM

Just guessing from the diplomatic double-talkm the widow can claim survivor benefits if she has ever had as SS account, in whatever manner, The visa/green card do not necessarily need to be associated with the dead husband.

I think if an American dies abroad, the US Embassy would be notified promptly.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:14 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Just guessing from the diplomatic double-talkm the widow can claim survivor benefits if she has ever had as SS account, in whatever manner, The visa/green card do not necessarily need to be associated with the dead husband.

I think if an American dies abroad, the US Embassy would be notified promptly.
Don't assume the embassy would be notified, or that the embassy would notify Social Security, etc.

You didn't say if the wife is an American or if she ever worked in the US or paid into Social Security.

Go to ssa.gov for information.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:37 AM

Here is an article I found, it's complicated. The first thing it says, the person must have contributed to social security for 10 years.

What country is the spouse in? That's part of what decides.

Can a Foreign Spouse Receive Social Security Benefits?

Quote:
Can a non citizen spouse receive Social Security benefits?

In most cases, the answer is yes to if a non citizen spouse receives Social Security benefits. Foreign spouses generally qualify for Social Security survivor benefits which is the deceased US worker’s full benefit. A foreign spouse may also qualify to receive the dependent or spousal Social Security which is generally half of the US expat’s benefit.

The rule surrounding this are very complicated and it often depends on which country you’re living in, there’s exceptions in qualifications so we can’t go through everything about every country today. I’ll run through some of the main criteria that you need to meet.

Requirements for foreign spouses to receive Social Security benefits

First of all, you have to have worked and contributed to Social Security for at least 10 years.
You must be at least 62 years old to receive benefits. However, if you wait until you’re 70, then the benefit payout is much higher.
You cannot be resident in Cuba or North Korea. Although, if you were a resident in Cuba or North Korea and you move, you can get back Social Security payments you would have received in those countries once you obtain residency in an approved country.
Lastly, payments cannot be sent to some specific countries, while others restrict payments. Because this list can change, it’s best to check the Social Security Administration website to get the latest updates on this.

Again, there’s a number of rules that you would need to look into depending on where you live and the specific tax treaties set up with those countries. For complete information and to learn if a foreign spouse receives social security benefits, please have a look at the Social Security website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Don't assume the embassy would be notified, or that the embassy would notify Social Security, etc.

You didn't say if the wife is an American or if she ever worked in the US or paid into Social Security.

Go to ssa.gov for information.

Agree, the OP really didn't give much information. I figured the spouse was never in the US or a citizen here.

I agree not to assume anyone has been notified of the death. The spouse should make sure they do that ASAP because SS wants it's money back if the spouse didn't live the full month.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:51 AM

I found another decent article.

What I've always heard is that social security doesn't want to pay out money to people who are not American citizens, but that's only partially right.

Social Security Spousal Benefits for American Expats with a Foreign Spouse

Quote:
Can a foreign spouse of American expats receive social security spousal benefits?

As a general rule, a foreign spouse cannot obtain social security spousal benefits if the both rules are met:

1. Foreign spouse is not a US citizen or green card holder.

2. Foreign spouse has lived outside of the USA for six consecutive months.

However, there are three exceptions to this rule. The country of citizenship and residence as well as the period of US residence play a key role in determining the eligibility for social security spousal benefits.
What is the list of countries which citizens can receive US social security spouse benefits?

This is the first exception. A foreign spouse can receive social security spousal benefits if s/he is a citizen of the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom

Canada, Chile, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea

As long as a foreign spouse is 62 years old and a citizen of one of the above countries, s/he can claim social security spouse benefits. Also, US spouse must be receiving social security benefits.
In which countries should a foreign spouse reside to get social security spouse benefits?

This is the second exception. The USA has an extensive list of Social Security agreements with foreign countries. A social security agreement is also called a Totalization agreement. We wrote an article about Socials Security Agreements earlier. A foreign spouse of an American expat can receive social security spousal benefits If a foreign spouse has reached a retirement age of 62 years old and has been a resident of one the below countries. The following countries have a Social Security Agreement with the USA:

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea (South), Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom
How long should two spouses live in the USA so a foreign spouse can obtain social security spousal benefits?

This is the third exception. If a foreign spouse of an American expat is not a citizen of resident of one of the countries listed above, then this spouse can still claim social security spousal benefits if the following requirements are met:

Old 01-11-2022, 03:48 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:

I lived in Italy for 3 years. While living there I was surprised by how many US citizens live in Italy.

Following WWII thousands of soldiers stayed and married local girls. Some of those men got jobs working on military bases so they had opportunity to stay in the US military, or to work as employees of the US Federal government.

Their children are also US citizens even if they have never visited the US.

When I was there maybe a third of the on-base gate guards were that way. Old men, WWII vets who had raised families in Italy.

I met about a dozen of those 'children' all adults now of course. Only a few of them speak English, and they are all US citizens.

Since the US took over dozens of old NAZI military bases, we still have military stationed there. Like always young men date the local girls, and some get married. So there are guys who served there in the 1950s or 1960s, all the way up to now. I had a subordinate who got married while I was serving there. He and I are still friends on social media. He brought his wife back to the states but she was homesick and she insisted that she return. If he wants to stay married he must return to live in Italy for the rest of his life.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:29 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
US Embassies/consulates do not get involved in consulting.
With some detail an intelligent guess/research can be done.

Children of US Personnel overseas are not necessarily US citizens.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:55 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I found another decent article.

What I've always heard is that social security doesn't want to pay out money to people who are not American citizens, but that's only partially right.

Social Security Spousal Benefits for American Expats with a Foreign Spouse
My guess is USA also doesn't want huge numbers of foreign females or males marrying Americans getting their mitts on SS survivor or other benefits. Don't think it is just America either, but many European countries have complicated rules about pensions (state social security) and foreign surviving spouses etc...

Plenty of American and European men move or retire to various Asian countries where even smallest pension in US dollars goes far. They get nabbed by some "me love you long time Johnny", and rest is history. This up to and including poor geezers who have untimely and unexpected sudden deaths.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:01 PM

Just to clarify, I've read the websites and the rules. What I asked for was whether anyone has actually tried to wriggle through the actual process and reached an end result. Virtually everything Immigtation does is the discretion of an officer handling the case, there are no rules. I' looking for experiences on the ground;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement