Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2022, 11:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Kind View Post
Caramel Creams often referred to as Bulls-Eyes

https://www.goetzecandy.com

https://www.caramelcreams.com
I liked those, too. Hard to find here but their Cowtails version of it (same thing in an extremely different shape) is available in some stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 12:27 PM

8,772 posts, read 5,062,427 times
This is a love/hate thread for me. I love going down memory lane, about all our childhood candy.....but most of it I can`t have anymore...both sugar, and I am afraid of my teeth breaking, or falling out. LOL

Old 01-15-2022, 12:28 PM

45,422 posts, read 60,608,674 times
My favorite candy was whatever I was allowed to eat. Usually those hard candies.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Looking at the old time candy web site reminded me about the “little bag of gold” gum, filled with little gold nuggets of gum.

There was also a little cloth bag filled with “gold coins” that were gold wrapped chocolate coins.
I forgot about those!

Old 01-15-2022, 01:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Each Saturday my parents would give me my .25 cents allowance and we would go to town. It was eventually increased to .50 cents. I loved the Dime Store with their wonderful candy counter. The divinity candy, chocolate covered peanuts just delightful to see by a kid. Eye height to the counter moving down the counter slowly looking at all the selections.

A lady worked behind the counter and when you made your selection she would scoop it out and put it on the scales then tell you the price.Take some away or add more then into the little white paper bag.
At one time my allowance was also .25 cents. You could get a lot of candy for that. Sometimes I would buy a bottle of Orange Crush for 15 cents...from the cooler filled with chilled water....and a bag of BBQ chips for 10 cents. Drink the pop, the bottle had a 2 cent deposit on it, so turn that in for some 2 for 1 candy. Today that would cost??? Maybe 5 dollars???

We used to scour the neighbourhood looking for pop bottles. Regular ones worth 2 cents, bigger ones worth 5 cents! Jackpot!

Old 01-15-2022, 01:34 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
At one time my allowance was also .25 cents. You could get a lot of candy for that. Sometimes I would buy a bottle of Orange Crush for 15 cents...from the cooler filled with chilled water....and a bag of BBQ chips for 10 cents. Drink the pop, the bottle had a 2 cent deposit on it, so turn that in for some 2 for 1 candy.

We used to scour the neighbourhood looking for pop bottles. Regular ones worth 2 cents, bigger ones worth 5 cents! Jackpot!
Yeah! Thanks for the reminder, my friends and I did the same thing.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:58 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,641,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Looking at the old time candy web site reminded me about the “little bag of gold” gum, filled with little gold nuggets of gum.

There was also a little cloth bag filled with “gold coins” that were gold wrapped chocolate coins.
I have an episode of F-Troop with original commercials on DVD that has Agarn, O"Rourke, Wild Eagle and Crazy Cat sitting around a campfire doing a commercial for that " Little Bag Of Gold " gum.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:56 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
There's hardly a candy I didn't and don't like, but I leaned toward the long-lasting sticky candies... Kit Kats, BB Bats, Bit-o-Honey, Sugar Daddies, Mary Janes, PB kisses, etc. The ones that are bad for your teeth when you're young and even worse when you're older.

My friends and I would walk around picking up bottles, turn them in for the deposit at our local handy market, and leave with a bag of penny candy each. I have fond memories of taking that bag and a book to bed every night, and I'm still fond of that bedtime routine!

Old 01-15-2022, 04:14 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Maybe someone will start a new thread...boomers do you still eat candy?
Everyday!

Old 01-15-2022, 04:47 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Maybe someone will start a new thread...boomers do you still eat candy?
I love candy. Have to be careful. Blood sugar has a tendency to rise, and some candy, Like Bit O Honey or sugar Daddy I will never be able to eat because it will yank off my crowns and implant bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement