Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 10:06 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times

Advertisements

I moved away from my home state a long time ago and didn’t keep in touch with high school classmates. Never attended any class reunions, either. Yet for some strange reason, tonight I got sidetracked into searching names from my HS graduating class. Three of them popped up in obituary listings, with death at different ages.

Even though that’s not many, it made me feel old just thinking of them dead already. The reason is, of course, in my mind’s eye they are still 18 years old.

Try it sometime. There is something especially jolting about remembering teenagers and reading that their older selves are no longer living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 10:11 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I moved away from my home state a long time ago and didn’t keep in touch with high school classmates. Never attended any class reunions, either. Yet for some strange reason, tonight I got sidetracked into searching names from my HS graduating class. Three of them popped up in obituary listings, with death at different ages.

Even though that’s not many, it made me feel old just thinking of them dead already. The reason is, of course, in my mind’s eye they are still 18 years old.

Try it sometime. There is something especially jolting about remembering teenagers and reading that their older selves are no longer living.
Why on earth would you think anyone would want to do that?? That's pretty sick.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:33 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:

I live near the town I grew up in.
Second largest class to go through the district, classes were 50-60 students crammed into rooms meant to hold 25-30. There was about 10" between desks, the small half flippable table attached to a plastic chair.

There's only two funeral homes there, one prominent and a smaller lesser used one.

I periodically check the obits for both homes.

Last year I found 6 of my classmates, and one each of classes ahead and immediately behind mine had all passed away.

I'm only 58.

I know at least 3 passed last year, don't remember exact number, but IIRC, it was a lower number in '20 than in '21.

I doesn't really make me feel old, actually I'm a bit in awe that, with my very bad health, that I've now out lived them!

And still earth go round and round, people come, and people go.

Best

Old 01-19-2022, 10:40 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:

I've kept in touch with some of my classmates and now even more. We had a 40th reunion some years ago.

We lost so many along the years - elementary, jr high, high school! We just lost another one two weeks ago.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:57 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
We all know everyone we knew from many years ago will grow old and eventually die. No shocker here.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:32 AM

30,517 posts, read 16,213,477 times
makes me feel sad sometimes when someone younger than me dies no matter if I know them or not.

and, yes, I do wonder why them and not me.

but to use a rather annoying cliche, it is what it is.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:13 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
When I was young, I never read the Obituaries.

Now I do.

When I observe somebody younger who met their demise, I visualize being missed by that arrow.

Think of every day as potentially being your final day.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:22 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:

Nah.....oh....and BTW....we are all going to die. FYI.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:23 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
When I was young, I never read the Obituaries.

Now I do.

When I observe somebody younger who met their demise, I visualize being missed by that arrow.

Think of every day as potentially being your final day.
My Hubs likes to read them.....some people have had the most fascinating lives!!! Those are the ones that might make me think "geez, you're a slacker." LOL........but these are usually people we don't know....just random obits in the paper.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:30 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
This reminds me of my mother. She'd occasionally read the obits. She actually cried when she saw her former manager had died from throat cancer..

Then another time a coworker died by reheating Carmel popcorn in a microwave. For some reason, it exploded, shooting the flaming popcorn on her and her clothes caught fire.

After that, she never read the obits again.

I don't read them as I'm in a different state and not wanting to buy papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement