Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 12:11 PM

23,985 posts, read 15,086,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
How much of your life have you kept up current trends in music? How much of your taste today is Oldies? How old is an Oldie? What era do you most prefer?

(Please don't bury this thread under hundreds of Youtube links -- If you want to mention a particular song, just name it.)
Who needs that dirty rap music when you can hear Alberta Hunter singing about My Man is such a handy man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 01:34 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
There is a British female duo called Wet Leg that's pretty good. I particularly like their song Chaise Longue which came out last summer.

Also that Italian group called MÃ¥neskin (Danish for "moonlight) is pretty good. Saw then on SNL over the weekend.

But my main Pandora station is Nick Lowe, which features mostly British and some American power pop from the late 60's-80's.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:43 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
There is a streaming syndicated radio show I listen to called "Undercurrents" Greg plays everything from brand new alt to scratchy blues records from the 30s. Obscure stuff from every decade.

I am constantly Shazam-ing as I listen, so my playlists are equally eclectic. It is affiliated with the Native Voice One network, so there is plenty of indigenous music too.

https://www.undercurrentsradio.net/

Here's today's playlist
https://www.undercurrentsradio.net/playlist

Old 01-24-2022, 04:12 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Old school stuff for the most part. Pink Floyd, John Prine, Neil Young, Emmy Lou Harris, Frank Zappa. More recent interests include King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizards.

Thanks zentropa for that Undercurrents link I will be checking that out!

Old 01-24-2022, 06:07 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
My husband bought me this neat little speaker (Bluetooth) and I take it out into the backyard - and listen to my music that's on the Iphone.
Those things have started to haunt me,since the youth utilize them to torture me with their horrid music...

Old 01-25-2022, 12:22 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
When I was younger, 20s-30s, I swore I wouldn't be one of those oldsters who didn't keep up with or like contemporary music. But I didn't really consider how genres evolve or wither over time and so when "house music"/techno evolved & grew out of disco, which I always hated, & rock withered behind rap & hip-hop in the 90's I lost any interest.

I never listened to "classic rock" or oldies radio at all but I explored a lot of modern artists rooted in traditional music styles, most are not well known... "cult" artists. Now I stream Apple Music & each day is pretty different: bluegrass, jazz, standards, folkies, Brit/Irish music, 60's acts - tho not the top 40 ones. Apple is pretty good with playlists I create & they play some tunes I never heard of that are usually pretty, pretty good.

Last week: Tony Bennet & Bill Evans; British Invasion rock; Gabor Szabo; 60's folkies; progressive bluegrass; Miles Davis; Dylan interpreters... next week will be probably different. It's nice to not be at the mercy of someone else's tired corporate playlist of "hits".

Old 01-25-2022, 02:51 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
There was a huge amount of music in my lifetime, that American were insulated from. Thanks to Youtube, I spend a lot of time searching Bollywood, Soukous, Yao Li musicals, Brazilian and Latin treasures. Even Euro music had their own pop artists. There's a Russian live stream that plays only songs from CCCP, most of which was awful, but there were some gems.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:28 AM

882 posts, read 766,600 times
Almost all my playlists are music from the late 60’s and early 70’s. I went through a country stage in the mid 80’s, so I have a couple of playlists with my favorites from that era.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:56 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Steely Dan, Pablo Cruise, 10CC, Elton John, Supertramp, Jethro Tull.

After MTV came along in 1980 and musicians had to look good on video, these great songwriting acts vanished overnight. It absolutely killed Christopher Cross's career. If Supertramp and Steely Dan were "cute" enough to be on MTV they'd have lived on.

That all gave birth to photogenic Billy Squier and Richard Marx. (BARFF!!).

The one great hack to this was ZZ Top. They were scraggly-ass dudes, but were smart enough to make their videos about pretty girls and hot rods. Genius.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:14 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Reading all our wistful playlists of mostly past (and "passed") performers, I wonder who are the most recent contemporary performers that we oldies put into our current playlists? My hunch is most would choose Adele & Lady Gaga since they are so talented (sorry, I don't follow contemporary Country).

My "newest" fave is probably Amy Winehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement