Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 01:58 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,125,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
How much of your life have you kept up current trends in music?

How much of your taste today is Oldies? How old is an Oldie? What era do you most prefer?

(Please don't bury this thread under hundreds of Youtube links -- If you want to mention a particular song, just name it.)

When I was coming of age in the late '60s, "oldies" meant tunes from the '50s and the early '60s.
With the passage of time, "oldies" radio encompassed 50s-60s-70s.

I think many people become attached, first and foremost, to the sounds of their adolescence.
That's certainly true for me. Mid-to-late-60s rock is still the core of my listening today...
though I find worthwhile items in other genres, be it baroque or a favorite Sousa march.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 02:51 PM

16,250 posts, read 10,943,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Reading all our wistful playlists of mostly past (and "passed") performers, I wonder who are the most recent contemporary performers that we oldies put into our current playlists? My hunch is most would choose Adele & Lady Gaga since they are so talented (sorry, I don't follow contemporary Country).

My "newest" fave is probably Amy Winehouse.
I had the benefit of a daughter that occasionally would bless me with recommendations. John Legend was one. John Mayer was one. The radio station I sometimes listen to introduced me to David Gray and a few others. Brandi Carlile sounds a lot like Adele to me, but she seems a little country. I found Lord Huron from the soundtrack of the movie "A Walk in the Woods".

It seems the boundaries between some of the music genres are blurring. Sheku Kanneh-Mason is a stunning cello performer and part of a larger musical family.

https://youtu.be/ioRvYLDIhro

Old 01-26-2022, 03:18 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,754,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
At least pre-COVID, I would still get out and see newer bands in smaller venues fairly often, and attend a 3 day music festival every year. I’ll check out album reviews and year-end best of lists on sites like Pitchfork to help me find new music. Some favorites over the last decade or so: The War on Drugs, Courtney Barnett, Wye Oak, Future Islands, Run The Jewels, Mount Moriah, A Giant Dog, Hiss Golden Messenger, Bon Iver, Kendrick Lamar, Sylvan Esso, Margo Price, Sturgill Simpson, Thee Oh Sees, and Sharon Von Etten. A good chunk of these get played on either college radio and/or SiriusXM’s XMU channel.

Good list. A lot of what gets played on the local independent radio station here. I'd add The Wild Feathers, Maneskin, Jackson Bruck & The Dukes of Hume; The Band of Heathens, Dispatch, Jason Isbell, Moon Taxi, The Strumbellas, Lukas Nelson & The Promise of the Real, White Reaper, and Chris Stapleton. Then always some country (old and new) since I do live in Music City.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:05 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,666,136 times
Playing my country playlist right now -- Ray Price, "For the Goot Times."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement