Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 12:26 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,043,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
My relatives, who served, did not want to talk about it.
Neither did my father. I never got the impression it was because of some traumatic memory but I know he resented the disruption to his life and preferred to dismiss it. He didn't get nostalgic about much of anything and camaraderie-related things didn't seem to interest him. I vaguely recall a a couple other relatives mentioning their service years but no one seemed all that focused on them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-24-2022 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 12:27 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Generally true. They might talk about the food or the weather, or in proper audience, some of the bawdier stories. But not the grim realities of combat.

My elders who had been in serious combat did not speak of the real nitty-gritty to me until near the ends of their lives...and that was decades after I'd retired from my own military career.

Typically, it went, "Let's go to the VFW." Then, after a couple of beers, they would begin to talk. It seemed as though they needed at that time to unburden themselves in their final years.

One of my uncles had been one of the "Chosin Few." Back in 1965, I had been visiting him and my aunt at Ft Leonard Wood. He had been watching a war movie and drinking a bit. I was startled awake that night to hear him screaming at the top of his lungs. When I rushed into their bedroom, he was straddling my aunt, choking her, still screaming.

What I didn't realize at the time (and wouldn't have understood the significance) was that he'd just gotten orders to Vietnam.

A few months before he died, he told me about that battle. He had been in a hand-to-hand struggle with a Chinese soldier, and had to choke the man to death. He said that it seemed to take forever for the light leave the man's eyes.
That story gives me the chills.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:48 PM

8,118 posts, read 7,492,226 times
Unfortunately my father wasn't much for talking. So I have very little idea what it was like for him to serve overseas during WWII and in the U.S. during the Korean War. He served in the Air Force in the CBI Theatre, later on Tinian, and in the SAC during the Korean War as a B-29 mechanic.

He had a photo album of his time in India and China, and the various stops made by the troop ship on the way there, and a few souvenirs he picked up on Tinian after the Japanese abandoned it. But he took the album apart to do presentations with the VFW for local schools when he was in retirement. I'm not sure where most of the photos ended up, which is too bad.

My uncle on my mother's side served in the Navy in Hawaii after he graduated high school in 1944 but never saw combat. The only story I got from him was when he told my grandmother they went down to the beach in their skivvies, she thought he meant flip-flops.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:13 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,944,882 times
Dad had a fairly traumatic expirence in the army. He was stationed in Cold Bay Alaska.
No one knew we had an attempted invasion of the Japanese at that time on the Aleutian Islands, it was pretty serious.
Because of the trauma of his experiences he did not want his sons to endure such a thing.
I did alternate service for the draft, fighting fires for the CDF.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:36 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,953,574 times
Arleigh, I am curious when that was. I knew a few guys who avoided the draft in the mid to late 60's and joined VISTA, serving two years.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:32 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,043,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Arleigh, I am curious when that was. I knew a few guys who avoided the draft in the mid to late 60's and joined VISTA, serving two years.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp.../alaska-japan/

Old 01-24-2022, 02:34 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,953,574 times
Thanks. I'm going to check that out. (I love PBS.) I'm sorry, I meant your CDF service. Roughly the mid-60's to 70's?

Old 01-24-2022, 03:07 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,304,718 times
My dad only told us one story - the landing in Normandy

He was in charge of one of the launch crafts. He says he just remembers the gunner just firing away with his eyes closed.

Talked about being in North Africa in wool uniforms - hot. Being in the snow in Germany.

Told me that he remembered one town in Sicily - Cefalu. So when I was stationed in Sicily - I brought him a book and other things from there.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:17 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,304,138 times
My father only told two stories. One was one of the people in his company who kept finding treasures along the way and putting them in his truck. This was one of those kind of trucks that would go through water it was meant to go everywhere. He had it so load it up it got stuck in the middle of a creek, and he had to offload everything to get it unstuck and up the other side of the creek. And he lamented losing all his treasures for weeks.

The other story was he was in the Army Corps of Engineers. He talked about building pontoon bridges over the Rhine. I think it was the Rhine, he’s been dead since 1981. And he’d laughingly tell us they’d get them half done, and then the Navy would come down the river in the middle of the night and knock them apart.

It was very much a ha ha, silly navy.

When I first had access to the History channel, it felt like it was all World War II, all the time. And there was a program on about the Army Corps of Engineers building pontoon bridges. More or less.

Thank God I keep Kleenexes near. After five minutes of watching those guys build those bridges under fire from the German army and me scouring those soldier’s faces to see if I could find someone who slightly resembled Don Knotts, and a lot of them did, I could do nothing but cry. Bless my father, it wasn’t funny at all.

And he volunteered to do that. He was safely ensconced in England, being a mechanic on airplanes at an RAF base… he volunteered to go into the Army Corps of Engineers.

And the genealogist’s lament, I do have a copy of his DD 214 I believe it’s called, but there was a fire, and all his other records are gone. So I don’t really know where he was or how long he was there. I just know what medals he qualified for.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:22 PM

3,610 posts, read 7,944,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Dad had a fairly traumatic expirence in the army. He was stationed in Cold Bay Alaska.
No one knew we had an attempted invasion of the Japanese at that time on the Aleutian Islands, it was pretty serious.
Because of the trauma of his experiences he did not want his sons to endure such a thing.
I did alternate service for the draft, fighting fires for the CDF.

My father didn't talk about experiences during the fighting. And he didn't want me to go to 'Nam. The draft just barely missed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement