Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 06:54 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,921,266 times

Advertisements

Galaxyhi's thread about fathers' vocations made me think of this topic.

Back in the late 50's my dad and my uncles would often sit around talking about their WWII experiences. They were all enlisted in the Navy, on LST ships. One uncle was at Normandy, but my father and closest uncle were both stationed in the South Pacific. Recently my dad brought up a story I'd long forgotten about: his ship being anchored near Taiwan when there was a huge monsoon going on, and how they were told to pull up anchor and how rough and high the waves were after they put back out to sea. He said even on a ship that big, it was still pretty scary.

The main story I remember is my uncle talking about being on watch up in the tower (guys help me out with the correct term). Dawn was breaking and suddenly he saw a kamikaze plane coming straight for his ship. He was 23 years old. He stood there thinking, "ok, this is the day I'm going to die." And he waited. Suddenly there was a pop-pop-pop-pop-pop from the gunner. Then all was quiet. The gunner had downed the kamikaze plane.

We used to protest "not ANOTHER war story!" We'd heard the stories dozens of times. After all, it had been only 10-15 years since they happened, but as kids we didn't realize that at the time. Now, I wish I could remember the stories better. I always had respect for their experiences, but now even more so.

What these men went through (and other men in other wars), is truly remarkable. It changed them forever. I wouldn't say my dad and uncles had PTSD, but they were fairly well consumed by their experiences. When I talk to my dad again, I'm going to have him tell me some stories, and keep notes.

I'm sure there are lots of good (and bad) stories from others here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 06:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Seems to me that most who were actually in battle had no desire to talk about their experiences.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:04 AM

That's probably true. I didn't intend to open any wounds. My uncle was at Normandy but he lived across the country from us so I didn't get to hear too much about it. He seemed resolved about it, but who knows. Being a NorthEasterner, he was pretty stiff-upper-lip. My dad, uncle and aunts used to kid him about it because they all ended up out West after WWII.

Last edited by pathrunner; 01-24-2022 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-24-2022, 07:10 AM

37,126 posts, read 41,324,569 times
My dad was also on an LST and his ship participated in the Normandy landing. He never talked about it, either, until he was older and discovered the LST Association. When the LST 325 came home to the US, I went with my parents to a reunion of the Association held in Biloxi, MS. I got to see his work station: a tiny stand up desk. He was a Storekeeper 2nd Class. When the ship was in port, he was one of the first allowed to go ashore, to arrange for delivery of provisions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LST-325

Old 01-24-2022, 07:13 AM

130,555 posts, read 12,148,053 times
My relatives, who served, did not want to talk about it.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:15 AM

Very cool! I never heard my dad talk about the LST Association. I will ask him about that and see if he actually knows. His memory is still pretty good so it's likely that for some reason he just never heard about it. That's too bad, if so. I know he would be fascinated to do a visit like that. Last week I mentioned to him that he's joined the last of the WWII veterans. He replied "Oh there's still a lot of us around."

Old 01-24-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
My relatives, who served, did not want to talk about it.
My relatives were fortunate not to see intense combat, except my uncle who landed at Normandy. All he said was "all of us were crapping our pants." (literally)

It's unfortunate that so many had to live with PTSD when it was diminished and dismissed as "shell shock." I can remember my parents talking about various friends and relatives that had "shell shock."

Old 01-24-2022, 07:19 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,525,180 times
They would talk of the politics of war, not their personal time on the ground. The only exception were a story or two about boot camps.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:22 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,837,261 times
I remember like yesterday. My dad and I would watch Victory at Sea. He passed many years ago as a young man but I remember oh so well the stories seen through the eyes of a 17 year old sailor in combat. He was just a freakin' kid! I'm 69 now, but it's like yesterday.

USS DeHaven Sailors Association

Father in law was in Life magazine in 1945 after the end of hostilities in the ETO. Amazing-daring story about retrieving/rescuing family members of a German scientist, in occupied east Germany (Russian controlled).

Grandfather was a Merchant marine Captain... sunk 2x's

So many stories.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:26 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
My father never talked about his experiences as an Air Force navigator, and I wish I could ask things now. The only story I remember was very upsetting to me as a kid. My grandfather was in the Merchant Marines in WWI (?) He said some of the sailors had gotten pet monkeys at one of the ports. The captain made them throw them overboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement