Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 05:41 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

My truck ducks every time I start it:>) Thinks she is going to get traded in.

Where do you still get grocery flyers? I actually miss them.

When we need something we get it. Neighbors know they can call - I have it. I share. They do their own thing.

SO went to the store today for conditioner. Yes, I squeaked in the shower that I am out. As long as my hair is - this is a crisis which will take two hours of combing out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 05:43 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I had an aunt and uncle, and my mother would do it occasionally too, who would put 100 miles on their car going to three of four grocery stores to save a nickel on a loaf of bread.
I think some people just really enjoy driving around for half a day to save a quarter here and a dollar there and really don't care about the gas. It's like a game they play.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:48 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Most discounts have so many restrictions that I ignore them...like Walgreens with the footlong receipts.
I shop between about 5 grocery stores, within a few miles of my house. I buy what’s on sale and Work around it. Isn’t that what everyone does?

Old 01-24-2022, 05:55 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
There is a great psychological boost for some people in saving even tiny or very small amounts of money on items.

In the late 1980's or early 1990's, my boyfriend and I were on a road trip, and he went looking for a different gas station to save just a couple cents on gallons of gasoline - I think gas was 23 or 27 cents per gallon and he wanted it at 21 cents or 22 cents - and we almost had a car crash leaving the rejected gas station!

Old 01-24-2022, 06:03 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
We drive into town (7 miles each way) about once a week & load up on the fresh stuff. If I only need one item, we will go to the store one mile down the road, it's more expensive, but if we only need one item, there is no point in driving far to get it.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:35 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
I balance the time and cost against potential savings. I'm not going to drive hither and yon just to save a few cents. Most of my shopping is now on-line, and in bulk- no driving and spending gasoline, no time wasted. It works out to be less money in the long run. There are relatively few things that I need to go to an actual store for, and even then I buy a lot to make it worthwhile.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:13 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Within my zip code here in Tucson I can find almost everything needed to buy, and most shopping trips are to just one of a few stores (Kroger/Frys, Costco, Walmart, Home Depot). My quick, nearby grocery trips to Kroger/Frys are mainly to buy fresh veggies and some staple food items. I buy what I need of those things, and the prices rarely get my attention. My least favorite shopping store is Walmart, and I only go a few times a year for occasional items I can't find at Frys, Costco or Home Depot. Going from store to store to save some small change is not my game plan - a big waste of time.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:24 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Zero miles.
The gods (and Jeff) invented Amazon for a reason.
And, then they created Target.com and Walmart.com, etc.

Last edited by davebarnes; 01-24-2022 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-24-2022, 08:49 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
3 to 5 miles, or online.

I never understood the weekly flyers from supermarkets and the people who would go store to store to save a dime on an item.
My grandmother did not shop weekly, but she always shopped the ads, and if there were enough of us visiting her, she would enlist as many of us as she could to join her in a blitz of stores. She lived out in the boonies, so the drive was long, but in addition to her refrigerator-freezer in the kitchen, she had a pantry, plus a basement-like cold storage area, and two freezers, an upright and a chest freezer, in the converted garage where we sometimes slept on visits. She also grew all her own produce and canned and baked and froze.

She was ready for anything and no one ever starved who knew her.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:24 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,054,508 times
I figure it costs around 50 cents to drive a mile, so for small purchases it rarely makes any sense to drive out of the way.

I do drive a long distance to my mechanic. He’s honest, charges a fair price, and most of the time he’ll do the job while I wait. He’s likely saved me thousands of dollars over the years I’ve used him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement