Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 08:58 AM

118 posts, read 77,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
My wife makes me crazy with this. She will drive 10 miles to save 5 cents a gallon on gas. She will get dressed, get in the car, and drive to pick up a pizza that costs $3 to deliver.

Not me. Does not compute.

Sometimes you just want to get out of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 09:29 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I think some people just really enjoy driving around for half a day to save a quarter here and a dollar there and really don't care about the gas. It's like a game they play.
It's got to be this. I have never understood the mindset. I've never driven anywhere to save some money.

But then, never used a coupon either....

I just dislike shopping in general, lol.

Reminds me of my dad who would pop over to the hardware store almost every day. He just enjoyed it.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:27 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Gas here is just under $3 a gallon, my car consistently averages 31-32 miles per gallon, so I can drive a mile for under 10 cents, but driving also wastes my TIME. Our nearest store is 2 miles away. Sometimes I will shop at the further store (about 9 miles one way) for a special ingredient or big sale. I usually combine that with other trips to that town. I rarely drive for savings other than to Costco. We spend a ton at Costco, but we save a ton too, and it's just once a month. We have a freezer and plenty of places to store non-perishables, so I stock up during sales, and I could easily live on the food currently in my house for almost a month if I had to.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:49 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,653 times
I'll drive hundreds of miles to save thousands of dollars.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:00 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I don't shop much. I get gas in town (26 miles) when I am there twice a week for my workout instruction anyway. If I forget, I suck it up and get gas down the street at tourist prices.

Have never been much on saving money!

Old 01-25-2022, 11:13 AM

130,425 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I'll drive hundreds of miles to save thousands of dollars.
I agree. There needs to be a happy medium. It makes no sense to drive 20 miles to save 50 cents, but it does make sense if you do you weekly shopping, & save more on groceries. It also does not make sense to only shop at the local store, all the time, instead of spending a buck to drive into town & save more than that.

People who never drive to save money, do not seem to like saving money (IMO) Also work out how much it costs in gas money, instead of thinking it costs $$, when it maybe be very cheap. Mu car gets 40 miles to a gallon, so it won't cost me much to drive 20 miles round trip, where I save considerably more than if I were to shop down the street.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2BeeHere99 View Post
Sometimes you just want to get out of the house.

I get out of the house all the time, but I don't get my jollies driving around to save a quarter.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:38 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree. There needs to be a happy medium. It makes no sense to drive 20 miles to save 50 cents, but it does make sense if you do you weekly shopping, & save more on groceries. It also does not make sense to only shop at the local store, all the time, instead of spending a buck to drive into town & save more than that.

People who never drive to save money, do not seem to like saving money (IMO) Also work out how much it costs in gas money, instead of thinking it costs $$, when it maybe be very cheap. Mu car gets 40 miles to a gallon, so it won't cost me much to drive 20 miles round trip, where I save considerably more than if I were to shop down the street.
I usually go to a local, small market near my house. Go to the further away larger stores for certain items once every few months. But I just had to put a new battery in my car so I may start driving around a bit more to keep it charged up.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:15 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
It depends upon how much the savings are, how much I am buying, and whether or not the item is available closer to home.

But yes, I drive for savings. I check the grocery ads, make my list, and I can make a circuit. The store I use the most is the furthest away, about 6-7 miles. Every other store is just a few feet off my route, so it doesn't really take any extra gas to stop there.

It's not a 20 cent savings. It is 20 cents or more (often much more) on every item in the shopping cart, so I am driving a few extra miles to save 30%-50% on the total grocery bill. Really? Some of you will drive to the store and make a special trip to buy one can of beans? For one can of beans, it wouldn't be worth a drive, but why are you doing your shopping one item at a time?

Old 01-25-2022, 12:28 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
I’ve driven 90 miles in recent memory to save $500+ in sales tax.

My normal shopping loop is 4 or 5 stores and gasoline. I won’t go out of my way to buy gasoline but I always buy it at the cheapest place using GasBuddy on my iPhone. That’s true for trips, too. I take 30 seconds and plan my fuel stop along the route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement