Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 03:41 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times

Advertisements

So, I was passing by a place, and stopped in to pick something up.
It was $1 more than my usual place, but it would have been out of my way though, as I was in the opposite direction.
I figured I'd have spent $1 in gas going out of my way, so saved time.

Got me to wondering... How far are you willing to drive to save money, and how much do you save, and what do you save on?

Or how far do you drive to save $$?

There is a Sam's club here, but not really impressed.
Costco, nearest is about 2.5 hours away. Probably not worth the drive.

BJs wholesale club is an hour+ away, again probably not worth it.

I know many of you shop online, but for the items you do buy in person, how far will you go?
Gas included, do you actually save $$?

Let's discuss...

Best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 04:07 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
3 to 5 miles, or online.

I never understood the weekly flyers from supermarkets and the people who would go store to store to save a dime on an item.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:14 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
It would have to be practically free.

I stopped doing that years ago and stay local. The big stores were too tempting. Grabbing all the things that looked appealing and would wind up going bad.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:19 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
So, I was passing by a place, and stopped in to pick something up.
It was $1 more than my usual place, but it would have been out of my way though, as I was in the opposite direction.
I figured I'd have spent $1 in gas going out of my way, so saved time.

Got me to wondering... How far are you willing to drive to save money, and how much do you save, and what do you save on?

Or how far do you drive to save $$?

There is a Sam's club here, but not really impressed.
Costco, nearest is about 2.5 hours away. Probably not worth the drive.

BJs wholesale club is an hour+ away, again probably not worth it.

I know many of you shop online, but for the items you do buy in person, how far will you go?
Gas included, do you actually save $$?

Let's discuss...

Best
Gas is so expensive I don't drive anywhere out of the way to save money. We don't do wholesale clubs since there are just the two of us, and we don't have a lot of storage or freezer space.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:20 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
How far would I drive using gas at nearly $4 a gallon to save a few dollars? A mile? Maybe...

Old 01-24-2022, 04:45 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
If I don't eat it, drink it, or smoke it I buy it online. The only exceptions are household things like trash bags, detergent, and other once a year items that I get at Costco.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:51 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Depends. I'm on the Washington/Oregon border. So if say I was buying a computer that cost $1000 it's $85 in sales tax. Oregon would be cheaper. (I'll never purchase from best buy ever again)

If it's clothing, I hit resale shops. WinCo grocery purchase is rarely higher that $25. I have gift cards for both WinCo and Walmart. Sad thing is Walmart is ending the 3 cent a gallon savings to force people to use the credit card.....

Old 01-24-2022, 04:55 PM

456 posts, read 348,727 times
I don't normally do the store to store run. When I'm shopping, it's planned for one store. Unless I need cheese. There's only one place in town that has the sliced cheese I like. I do make a special trip for that, and then pick up everything else I can only get at that store. Frozen egg noodles come to mind.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:33 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
I had an aunt and uncle, and my mother would do it occasionally too, who would put 100 miles on their car going to three of four grocery stores to save a nickel on a loaf of bread.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:40 PM

1,380 posts, read 724,873 times
After college I moved away from home and moved in with my sister. While in between interviews I would go run errands with her. God, she was a pain in the arse. She literally drove from one store to another just to save that dime. CRAZY!!! There were times when I felt like my head would spin and pea soup would follow.

I eventually told her I had other things to do when she went shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement