Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2022, 12:49 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. She must withdraw the full amount within 10 years. She has the full 10 years to do that, but she could take it all immediately if desired.
Oh, OK. I thought that's what it might be, but I read it through a few times, and it wasn't clear to me. Thank you.

Old 02-03-2022, 03:11 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In 20 years or so, I'm hoping, but it could be sooner. I'm 63. Dad lived to be 78, Mom 91. Neither smoked. I did until ten years ago.

What does that have to do with it? If I croak before the five years is up that I have to hold the money, my daughter can't get it for ten years after that? That is the question. I just found that odd.
Just making sure we'll have you around for awhile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Just making sure we'll have you around for awhile
Well, I might just stay and make a nuisance of myself, then!

Old 02-03-2022, 09:22 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Oh, OK. I thought that's what it might be, but I read it through a few times, and it wasn't clear to me. Thank you.

It changed January 1, 2020. It used to be that a non spouse receiving an IRA or 401k through inheritance could spread the distributions out over their own life expectancy. Now it's reduced to 10 years (which could mean a lot higher taxes for whoever the beneficiary is).

Right now I would choose to leave my 401k mostly to a 501(c)(3) charity because they are not required to pay taxes on it. I would leave my high income family member the house because they get the stepped up basis to Fair Market Value around my date of death.

My money goes further after death if I take into consideration tax impacts.

https://www.fidelity.com/learning-ce...non-spouse-IRA

Old 02-03-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
It changed January 1, 2020. It used to be that a non spouse receiving an IRA or 401k through inheritance could spread the distributions out over their own life expectancy. Now it's reduced to 10 years (which could mean a lot higher taxes for whoever the beneficiary is).

Right now I would choose to leave my 401k mostly to a 501(c)(3) charity because they are not required to pay taxes on it. I would leave my high income family member the house because they get the stepped up basis to Fair Market Value around my date of death.

My money goes further after death if I take into consideration tax impacts.

https://www.fidelity.com/learning-ce...non-spouse-IRA
Well, hopefully I will live to spend it. But with the parade of dead family and friends that have marched by over the past two years, I know easy it could be to unexpectedly fall in step behind them.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:30 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Well, hopefully I will live to spend it. But with the parade of dead family and friends that have marched by over the past two years, I know easy it could be to unexpectedly fall in step behind them.
Plan for the worst; hope for the best...

We lost our eldest sister last year and the reason I have not lost more is because I lost a lot more a lot sooner in life. So, I get your mindset on the matter. In my will I have it set so there are 3 entities to receive 33.3 each (a much younger friend, a younger family member and a charity). So, if 1-2 of those entities is no longer in the picture then the remaining percentages accrue to the 1-2 entities that are remaining. There is always one remaining entity due to the charity.

Hang onto life as long as possible and at the same time do not fear death. ... It's a hard thing to do to be able to make your peace with death (or it was for me and it was quite a protracted process). But, now I am able to make plans for the disposition of my body without flinching... It was worth working through the process and being at peace with it (at the same time a very strong will to keep surviving all of it as long as is naturally possible). I am not sure it will always be easy to feel that way as I am sure I will hit more bumps in the road (so, I could see myself reverting (but, at the same time I had too much of my life tied up in mourning due to early childhood parental loss so I have done more than my fair share already).

Old 02-04-2022, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Plan for the worst; hope for the best...

We lost our eldest sister last year and the reason I have not lost more is because I lost a lot more a lot sooner in life. So, I get your mindset on the matter. In my will I have it set so there are 3 entities to receive 33.3 each (a much younger friend, a younger family member and a charity). So, if 1-2 of those entities is no longer in the picture then the remaining percentages accrue to the 1-2 entities that are remaining. There is always one remaining entity due to the charity.

Hang onto life as long as possible and at the same time do not fear death. ... It's a hard thing to do to be able to make your peace with death (or it was for me and it was quite a protracted process). But, now I am able to make plans for the disposition of my body without flinching... It was worth working through the process and being at peace with it (at the same time a very strong will to keep surviving all of it as long as is naturally possible). I am not sure it will always be easy to feel that way as I am sure I will hit more bumps in the road (so, I could see myself reverting (but, at the same time I had too much of my life tied up in mourning due to early childhood parental loss so I have done more than my fair share already).
Thanks for sharing. I am not really afraid of death. Not that I wouldn't feel fear if I saw a train coming at me or received a terminal diagnosis. I believe I used up most of my life supply of fear on September 21, 2001. Ever since that day, most of my anxiety about death just went away. I think it had something to do with being in the vicinity if mass death, my own life in danger, but surviving. My brain knows it's all right there next to us.

But I know I have to make practical preparation for. Death in the 21st century requires paperwork.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:26 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,080,389 times
It doesn’t keen up with inflation but beats the heck out of CDs.

Dominion Energy Reliability Investment earns a variable rate, currently 1.25% for $50k & over. Access any time, no fees. I’ve had an account with them for over 3 years (started at 3% back then) Super safe, but NOT FDIC insured. Write checks off it or get cash transfers in 2 business days. Always beats any savings account.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:34 AM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
We can get local bank deals for opening fdic accounts so I prefer to take advantage of those. .

Usually it gets tied up for 4-5 months and promos we get run 1600 bucks for 100k or 700 bucks for 50k with the citi priority accounts .

Citi is my favorite since you can do it more than once .

Plus took a citi cash card and got 300 bucks additional for that.

It is a shame chase offers nothing to existing customers and we have chase private client too . We use them as our main bank.

Bank of America is the opposite of city bank …to get their juicy promos you have to be an existing targeted customer already

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-05-2022 at 07:42 AM..

Old 02-05-2022, 10:41 AM

722 posts, read 598,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It is a shame chase offers nothing to existing customers and we have chase private client too . We use them as our main bank.
Ha. Yeah. I feel like Chase is making the decision for me to get all excess funds out of our account there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement