Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2022, 09:23 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

A good place to start for those gun shy can be any ot those portfolios i posted that are low on the ulcer index as it’s called , I will find the link to those threads

https://www.city-data.com/forum/inve...-thoughts.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/inve...fficiency.html

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-29-2022 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 09:30 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK. I do understand that right now the market is dropping. That's how it goes, right? Up and down. I'm not going to be putting any money in there that I need to pay the gas bill next week.
Years ago I tried to make myself get into the mindset of, "It's dropping, so it's a good time to buy," instead of "It's dropping, holy crap, GOTTA GET OUT NOW! " -- because of course the "gotta get out now" mentality turns that PAPER LOSS into a REAL loss. (I made that mistake when I was working a corporate job in the 1980s and got a small stock account -- this was probably RIGHT when the market tanked [1987?] and I panicked and got out, losing much of what I'd contributed. I was in my 20s and just not able to put myself into the "think long-term, long-term, long-term" mindset -- but if I HAD been able to do that, I would have made a lot of money (well, relatively speaking) on that account.

Alas, it's harder for me now because I have a 403(b) that I am no longer allowed to contribute to (since I am "officially" retired from the job that got me that account, even though I'm actually still teaching at that college), and it is 99% stocks. It's by far my largest account (not a million but it WAS getting closer). I haven't checked it in the past few weeks as I should not need to touch it for AT LEAST 3 more years, but I am bummed that it is my largest account and I CANNOT add money to it now (i.e., to buy stocks that are currently down). I can just watch my balance fall (well, if I WANTED to watch it, which I do not!).

I DO have other accounts that I can add to now, and as I wrote previously, I really appreciated finding out about I bonds (from Teacher Terry) so now I have money in there that had just been sitting in a bank savings account, but given the market's current volatility, it's easier to just sit and do nothing -- although not a great practice.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:38 AM

For those who don’t want to learn , there is always the option of using a newsletter …I like fidelity insight .

They do charge a relatively small amount but they tell you just what to do .

They have models that are very conservative to super aggressive .

They do only use fidelity funds

Old 01-29-2022, 09:44 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I was not suggesting it as a stand alone. It would be just ONE (small) part of my ROTH. If I was just starting my ROTH, I would most certainly split the contributions between 2 or 3 different funds.

Here is an article that MQ might want to read, just some suggestions on fund choices.

https://www.thebalance.com/best-bala...estors-4114245
Thank you. I came across that site at some point but didn't bookmark it. Now I will.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:56 AM

Wellesley is a very popular fund for retirees.

Ytd down a mere 1.54%

Old 01-29-2022, 10:04 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Wellesley is a very popular fund for retirees.

Ytd down a mere 1.54%
That one and Wellington are often mentioned together as (relatively) stable funds ... I think they complement each other?

I looked into them last year -- time to take another look! Might work for the OP too.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:12 AM

A 50/50 mix of Wellington and Wellesley is about a 50/50 mix

Old 01-30-2022, 06:46 AM

1,078 posts, read 627,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Years ago I tried to make myself get into the mindset of, "It's dropping, so it's a good time to buy," instead of "It's dropping, holy crap, GOTTA GET OUT NOW! " -- because of course the "gotta get out now" mentality turns that PAPER LOSS into a REAL loss. (I made that mistake when I was working a corporate job in the 1980s and got a small stock account -- this was probably RIGHT when the market tanked [1987?] and I panicked and got out, losing much of what I'd contributed. I was in my 20s and just not able to put myself into the "think long-term, long-term, long-term" mindset -- but if I HAD been able to do that, I would have made a lot of money (well, relatively speaking) on that account.

Alas, it's harder for me now because I have a 403(b) that I am no longer allowed to contribute to (since I am "officially" retired from the job that got me that account, even though I'm actually still teaching at that college), and it is 99% stocks. It's by far my largest account (not a million but it WAS getting closer). I haven't checked it in the past few weeks as I should not need to touch it for AT LEAST 3 more years, but I am bummed that it is my largest account and I CANNOT add money to it now (i.e., to buy stocks that are currently down). I can just watch my balance fall (well, if I WANTED to watch it, which I do not!).

I DO have other accounts that I can add to now, and as I wrote previously, I really appreciated finding out about I bonds (from Teacher Terry) so now I have money in there that had just been sitting in a bank savings account, but given the market's current volatility, it's easier to just sit and do nothing -- although not a great practice.
Does the school classify you/pay you as an Independent Contractor? You may still qualify to transfer/roll over the 403b funds into your other retirement account as long as they're both set up on the same tax treatment, i.e. pre-tax contributions. I'm not a tax expert, so this is provided as a "please do some more research on this" idea.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:33 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We should keep this thread going for the retirees who are neither jillionaires nor living on very tight budgets. I am like the OP. Retired, with a sufficient income, but interested in saving and investing some it of it.

Just did not have this opportunity earlier in life.
I fully agree, mighty queen!

We will be selling an inherited house, and I asked for simple advice about what to do with those proceeds, plus other proceeds we will gain (a total of about $225-250k)

We don't have a lot, didn't have a lot of opportunities, and we really don't know all the ins and outs of investing to gain the maximum.

We have an efund, should be increased, a couple iras, and a small 401k (me)

We, at 58(me) &62, do own a house, only a little over $30k to pay off, which will be in about 3-4 years (a total of 10 years to pay off our original 30yr mortgage).
We had also mired ourselves in debt, got it paid off, bought a house, renovated, got with the savings program, and finally feel good about our need to take physical retirement (I draw SSDI and spouse has applied).

We might be ok, we might be comfortable...for now...but what about in 10yrs? Or 20?(if either one or both live another 20).

How do we balance today's finances with future finances?

The "haves" on here get nasty to someone needing advice sometimes, and just because they, as Queen said, have jillions, or even quadrillion s of dollars, don't apparently really want to help someone "less than them" and only want to slam those who have "less than".

Thanks MQ!

It's refreshing to see someone standing up for those who have less than $6billion in retirement and investment s!

Best to all

Old 01-30-2022, 07:45 AM

543 posts, read 702,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
You can put 10k each in a IBond with the government. It’s fixed rate for 6 months depending on inflation. So for instance I am getting 7% interest. It’s totally safe.

Do you mean Larry Fink's IShares bond etf's from Blackrock? Please give me the ticker symbol of a couple of them so I can get a totally safe 7%. I've never heard of a even marginally safe 7% since 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement