Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2022, 05:01 AM

106,708 posts, read 108,913,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
A thought I had, here is the Psychology section. Consider making a thread there to get help with stopping

LOL

Are you thinking up new drum beats or playing a specific one?

Interesting question roselvr , do I hear new beats in my head ?

Sometimes but I think more of what my head does is reconfirm the sounds and muscle memory of some more recent things I am doing ….. my fingers tend to move along at the same time as the patterns are burned in to muscle memory more and more.

There are hundreds of different sticking patterns that sound differently or end on different hands ….it takes a thousand repetitions to burn a pattern in to memory so the hands know what to do .

I find while jogging and listening to music or driving this has been what I do .

Many times in a lull in a conversation my brain wil go back in to drum mode .

My wife is constantly telling me to stop tapping at the dinner table as in between bites I go into drumming mode

It’s almost like another sense..

My brain knows I want to absorb something so it goes in to auto download until I master it and go on to the next pattern when it starts again ….over and over

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-30-2022 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 06:35 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
When you live alone, that's what you do.

You live alone for a reason. I know I do. And I know a lot of people can't understand why or how. But I've never been one to follow some "social trendy thing" and that philosophy has served me well.

People that live alone do talk to themselves. And since nobody else is there to hear it, who cares? Bothers you? Get a cat.
Hah! Don't bother - they won't listen to you anyway.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:47 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am confident that I can break this habit. I caught myself a few times yesterday, and stopped right away. I am merely thinking out loud. I was home alone, not out in public. I am much more aware of this habit now and I will get it under control.
I truly appreciate everyone’s advice.
Donna
If it makes you feel any better (although after this thread, with all the armchair Phds, I'd wonder), I've been doing the same cutting-back at home. I'm consciously trying to use my "inner" voice rather than saying my thoughts out loud, although there are times when I still literally "voice" something, usually in response to a situation I'm watching on the television. So what? The cats hear it, and no one else. I don't normally talk out loud in stores, and the only time I was questioned about it was in the local library. A young man who was near me asked if I was all right. I asked why, and he said "Because you were talking to yourself". I retorted, "Well, maybe you shouldn't listen to private conversations". He got up and moved across the room and hasn't bothered me since.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:50 AM

2,603 posts, read 2,293,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
If it makes you feel any better (although after this thread, with all the armchair Phds, I'd wonder), I've been doing the same cutting-back at home. I'm consciously trying to use my "inner" voice rather than saying my thoughts out loud, although there are times when I still literally "voice" something, usually in response to a situation I'm watching on the television. So what? The cats hear it, and no one else. I don't normally talk out loud in stores, and the only time I was questioned about it was in the local library. A young man who was near me asked if I was all right. I asked why, and he said "Because you were talking to yourself". I retorted, "Well, maybe you shouldn't listen to private conversations". He got up and moved across the room and hasn't bothered me since.
Thank you,
I love your library story.
Donna

Old 01-30-2022, 07:07 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know I'd retrieve that brownie and rinse off the coffee grounds.
I hear ya. What's a few little coffee grounds when you are really craving that brownie and it's as close to you as your garbage can?!?

Old 01-30-2022, 07:09 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Best response to those nebnoses I've heard yet.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:34 AM

701 posts, read 694,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I talk to myself. (FYI, I live alone and am retired, but I am not lonely).

This is how it goes, whenever a thought comes into my head, it comes out of my mouth. I walk around the house having full conversations with myself. When I go shopping, I talk out loud. Wearing a mask has helped to not blow my cover, but I recently had an embarrassing situation. I was in a store talking to myself when a woman approached me, she heard me talking. She said she was a mental health worker and wanted to see what “level” I was, she was referring to mental illness. I was so embarrassed.

The problem is that I can’t stop. I have tried everything, even taping my mouth shut. I have been doing this for about 3 years, it started when I lived in an isolated community.
Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you stop talking out loud when no one was around?
Donna
I talk to myself also. Most of the time it is the only intelligent conversation I have especially
when I answer myself.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:59 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,306,005 times
I missed seeing C-D for a day and had to catch up on all the responses to the most fascinating thread I've seen in awhile. As I read all the posts, I found myself mouthing the most interesting ones, then had to quit when I realized I was sitting across from DH, who is probably used to this anyway, since when we're out walking and I'm daydreaming along I often find I'm making up great replies to things I should have thought of before and speaking them sotto voce.

Me this morning making breakfast:

"Sausages? No, had them yesterday."

"Get the tea water on, idiot."

"OK, where's the bread?"

"Damn!" (it was still in the freezer)

BTW, I just repeated all this out loud because it was so satisfying.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:37 AM

2,603 posts, read 2,293,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I missed seeing C-D for a day and had to catch up on all the responses to the most fascinating thread I've seen in awhile. As I read all the posts, I found myself mouthing the most interesting ones, then had to quit when I realized I was sitting across from DH, who is probably used to this anyway, since when we're out walking and I'm daydreaming along I often find I'm making up great replies to things I should have thought of before and speaking them sotto voce.

Me this morning making breakfast:

"Sausages? No, had them yesterday."

"Get the tea water on, idiot."

"OK, where's the bread?"

"Damn!" (it was still in the freezer)

BTW, I just repeated all this out loud because it was so satisfying.
Thank you,
This makes me feel better.
Donna

Old 01-30-2022, 09:13 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
This has been a fascinating thread. I had NO idea talking to oneself is so common. But I did read it's a sign of higher cognitive functioning.

Guess I won't worry about DH's sudden nonsensical exclamations all by himself. Had to train myself to stop calling out, "What?" He says "Oh nothing. Just talking to myself", though it's not sentences or conversations.

I curse to myself but that's about as far as it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement