Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 01:17 PM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times

Advertisements

Those of us that live alone, are much more isolated due to Covid. The first year of Covid, I did not socialize at all. I went for long walks, but alone. When I passed someone, no one wanted to talk much because they were afraid of getting Covid. I still do most things by myself and won’t go to indoor restaurants.
So maybe talking to myself merely breaks the silence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 02:04 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Oh man I've been doing this most of my life. But now, late at night when the wife is upstairs, I find myself carrying on full conversation as if there is someone else in the room.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:09 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I don't think of it as talking to myself - I think of it as talking out loud. It doesn't strike me as strange at all.

I talk to our dogs and ask them questions like "Does my little lovecake need to go out?" I'll answer for them "Yes you do!" Perfectly normal and goes on everyday in my happy household

I know the dog talking is in a different vein as the original question but I think it's the same kind of thing. Sometimes it can be called muttering if I'm mulling over something. I hope you're feeling better with all the positive responses you're getting OP.
Oh geez, I talk to the cats all the time. The newest one, who's 16.5 years old, has to live in the basement because she doesn't like the other cats. She gets lonely or hungry (she's hyperthyroid) and literally YELLS for food or pets. Sometimes I don't feel like tromping down the basement stairs yet another time (especially if I've just done it) and I'll open the door to the basement and yell down, "Yuba, you're fine! I'll come down later" or if it's 2 AM, "Yuba, shut up!". Fortunately all the windows are shut now. I'll have to change this before the summer comes or the neighbors will think I'm harboring a captive in the basement.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:13 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
I talk to myself because the other person makes more sense than me

Old 01-30-2022, 03:36 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I try not to watch too many politicians on TV, but I do yell at the Jeopardy contestants. "HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW THAT???"

Of course, I'm silent when I don't know the answer and they do.

I yell the answer at them when they can't think of it. As if they could hear me.....

Old 01-30-2022, 03:41 PM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Oh man I've been doing this most of my life. But now, late at night when the wife is upstairs, I find myself carrying on full conversation as if there is someone else in the room.
Dave,
Do you only talk to yourself when you are at home and not out in public? When you are shopping, do you ever talk out loud, maybe if you can’t find something?

Old 01-30-2022, 05:18 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Sing to myself as well. The other week when I was working in a computer room, I was singing "Marching to Pretoria".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh geez, I talk to the cats all the time. The newest one, who's 16.5 years old, has to live in the basement because she doesn't like the other cats. She gets lonely or hungry (she's hyperthyroid) and literally YELLS for food or pets. Sometimes I don't feel like tromping down the basement stairs yet another time (especially if I've just done it) and I'll open the door to the basement and yell down, "Yuba, you're fine! I'll come down later" or if it's 2 AM, "Yuba, shut up!". Fortunately all the windows are shut now. I'll have to change this before the summer comes or the neighbors will think I'm harboring a captive in the basement.
Me, too.

And not only talk, but sing and do small skits for them. Now, one of my songs is derives from Callisto first showing up in "The Bitter Suite" on Xena. Derives.....but is not the same.

BUT......instantly doing skits is just who I am, like checking out with the cashier with a load of cat food and........."Hungry, ferocious, starving, voracious wild kittens! FEROCIOUS, HUNGRY, VORACIOUS, STARVING........WILD KITTENS! You don't want to keep wild kittens hungry, DO YOU? Who knows what they might do!"

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-30-2022 at 05:27 PM..

Old 01-30-2022, 05:21 PM

6,969 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I talk to myself all the time. I don't try to control it and usually I am not aware. The dog lets me know sometimes that I am talking to myself; she will come and put her chin on my lap

But I also whistle to myself. I am very good and have been asked many times where I learned to do that. I sing to myself, too, and once met a beautiful young lady in the line at the airport when she was softly singing to herself in line. We had a cup of coffee, some wonderful conversation and managed to sit together on the plane. So sometimes great things happen as a result of these "bad" habits.

I think the OP may be, like me, an outgoing introvert. The introvert part of us allows us to be comfortable alone, and the outgoing part compels us to speak our thoughts aloud.
I’m a whistler, too. I love to sing, but have no singing voice. But I can whistle right on key! I assume it must be extremely annoying to people around me, as it annoys me when others do it.

I talk to the dog all the time.

I do talk to myself, but most of the time internally, not out loud.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:28 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Those of us that live alone, are much more isolated due to Covid. The first year of Covid, I did not socialize at all. I went for long walks, but alone. When I passed someone, no one wanted to talk much because they were afraid of getting Covid. I still do most things by myself and won’t go to indoor restaurants.
So maybe talking to myself merely breaks the silence.
Well, I'm not retired but a loner and ranger. The 'Vid just turned that up to 11 in my life, in other words: "And...so what?" I'm also low on the "agreeableness" scale, Big Five Personality test so prefer my own company though often have a sense of humor about my own ornery nature.

I did/do most of my singing practice alone, if that's not talking to myself not sure what qualifies. Took professional lessons in '19 in-person which helped lots too, she set me up with a program I've kept going since. Karaoke isn't my bag during a pandemic so guess I sing for the walls. Met an old man who lives across the street last summer, he remarked on my singing which I thought rather amusing. So I sang a bit for him, might have brightened his day (I hope).

Off on my morning coffee run the past year (a ritual early AM), I sometimes have car chats with (no one). No I don't hear voices or see others, these are one-sided debates to help me work through observations. It's eccentric and I do not do this otherwise, but what the heck when by myself. I don't fear the dark and quiet, it fears me as we used to say w/my chummies back in more adventurous days. I'm 54 and not retired, but do like my daily rituals.

No habit to break in my case.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:44 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
I've said things in low volume in the grocery store, like "rip-off" or "too much salt" and somebody might have noticed, not worried about it.
I've been known to even sing to myself in a grocery store. Low volume of course. Or hum. Who cares? Who's business is it anyway?
A friend asked me what I thought I would be doing in my old age. I answered "Long gray hair flowing surrounded by cats mumbling to myself in my garden." (Crazy cat lady!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement