Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 09:44 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I've said things in low volume in the grocery store, like "rip-off" or "too much salt" and somebody might have noticed, not worried about it.
I've been known to even sing to myself in a grocery store. Low volume of course. Or hum. Who cares? Who's business is it anyway?
A friend asked me what I thought I would be doing in my old age. I answered "Long gray hair flowing surrounded by cats mumbling to myself in my garden." (Crazy cat lady!)
I do that sometimes, ie, commenting out loud to myself about one thing or another when I'm shopping. People in our location are generally friendly though, so often, if someone is nearby and hears me, he/she will respond to what I said, and then we get into a conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 10:31 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I will go into an isle looking for something, of course they don't have it so I make a comment how it's been out of stock over a month. Sometimes it starts a conversation with others looking for something or the same thing.
One time I went into a store that sold high-end consigned/used furniture. I stood in front of this beautiful carved bench, and I remarked out loud what a beautiful piece of furniture it was. At the same time, I became aware of a woman standing on the other side of the bench, also remarking to herself what a beautiful bench it was.

I looked up—it was my own grandmother.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:51 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My goal, as well, although I was always going to be old hippie woman wearing long dresses, too. I have the long gray hair. I did have four cats that are now gone. Need more when.life allows. Already talking to myself. I am almost there.
First a self grammar correction, I meant "WHOSE" business is it anyway.
Oh yes, hippie, gave up wearing the bras a long time ago too. (Now just to burn them)
I can up you on that long dress (not trying to or a 'gotta up that' person) but I've been seen outside holding coffee talking to a neighbor on a summer morning still in a peignoir (hey looks like a dress!). Another woman might know it's a nightgown ensemble, but I don't care. With all the crazy stuff people do, if I'm seen in my own yard mumbling to myself with that gray hair flowing someday (I'd prefer it looks disheveled to scare any busybody or gossipy neighbors) AND in a nightgown, AND knowing that I have several cats, my response is "What's not to like?"
I don't have any cats right now either, waiting until after a move and some months sight-seeing the west, and then definitely cats again! I was walking mine outside on a leash long before it was fashionable, I know I was talked about then too. Can't you hear them? "She walks her cats! Crazy cat lady!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
When shopping I sometimes sing along with the music on the PA system, not loudly as I have a pathetic singing voice, but I've been known to bust a move and dance down the deserted frozen food aisle if the song is right. I'm sure there are videos of me from the surveillance cameras rocking out to Santana or some other irresistible dance tunes. I couldn't care less what others think of that. I agree with the oft-quoted thought that "Other people's opinions of me are none of my business" and to be honest, I couldn't give a fig.
Me too, singing voice is pathetic, but I can fake it with a loud loudspeaker. Cut loose baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I do that sometimes, ie, commenting out loud to myself about one thing or another when I'm shopping. People in our location are generally friendly though, so often, if someone is nearby and hears me, he/she will respond to what I said, and then we get into a conversation.
See? It can open the door to communication with a stranger

The only time I worry about talking out loud to myself is if I'm in an argument in an imaginary conversation. That's been known to happen too, say in the car, while thinking about something somebody said to me that ticked me off. At least I forgo the urge to slap myself like out of some old 1940's femme fatale movie. Then the looks at the stoplight might be more eyebrow raising.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:10 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Get a cat. Wear a blue tooth. No one will notice.
Haha! That's Bluetooth. Before I realized what you meant, I had a very strange picture in my mind of this lady.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:02 PM

2,604 posts, read 2,293,767 times
I have been doing well today controlling talking out loud to myself, but truth be told, I miss it. It’s quiet in my house now, and my thoughts have to stay in my head.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:09 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I have been doing well today controlling talking out loud to myself, but truth be told, I miss it. It’s quiet in my house now, and my thoughts have to stay in my head.
If you were to let yourself speak out loud with no restrictions, how much time in a day would you be talking out loud?

Old 01-31-2022, 01:46 PM

2,604 posts, read 2,293,767 times
This is a very interesting article. I understand that talking to myself is not only normal, but beneficial.
https://psyche.co/ideas/talking-out-...y-for-thinking

Old 01-31-2022, 01:48 PM

1,205 posts, read 936,189 times
Ha, organicdonna, after all the good natured responses to your post, you now have a lot more virtual buddies with whom you can talk out loud!

Old 01-31-2022, 01:50 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
I do a lot of speaking to myself but not out loud.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:51 PM

83 posts, read 56,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Yes. And more importantly those who have spent time "alone" at times, on & off, all their lives, and have found ways to deal with that.

Speech and hearing are basic human "senses" (or behaviors) that are somehow important to all humans.

The flip side of the coin:

Ever know somebody who'd croak in a minute if they weren't constantly surrounded by a bunch of people? I have.
well that's what happened to me. My life has changed dramatically. I was that social one who now comes here to chat with "friends" because I have none now in person. lol. During this down time, I re-evaluated my former acquaintances and decided, I want more from my circle of friends than just political rhetoric. and other superficial BS. I want depth. I've changed so much, but that's good even though I liked the way things were before the lockdowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement