Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 07:24 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times

Advertisements

I suspect lots of people do this and think nothing of it. I wouldn't give it another thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 09:21 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Funny ?

Informed a dear friend, "My husband gets frustrated with me, I tell three parts of a story, then go on to another !" Her reply, " You're so intelligent, he can't keep up wth you!"

Using hands ? My Mom used her hands when talking. In my late 50's, was shocked, I started doing the same thing !

Bruce, my Mom are both in Heaven.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:41 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
I don't talk to myself out loud, it's all in my head, which I think is sometimes worse, it never stops, I live alone, drives me nuts and makes it hard to sleep.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:07 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Yeah, in recent years & especially living alone I find myself talking to myself fairly often, usually explaining something. But it doesn't really bother me much yet because I'm talking to someone really smart!

But if I get to the stage of having a passionate argument when sitting alone at the table then it will be time to see the doc.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:35 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Considering how many problems out there which are much more significant, I'd be thankful and appreciative for that. Now, that doesn't diminish the uncomfortable nature here, but we need to realize that's in connection with others. If they didn't say anything, then there would be no uncomfortable reaction in return.

We have to be careful not to react to others, especially when it's not causing any real problem to them. There will always be people who volunteer to talk and comment, but they don't have to do that in situations like this.

Perhaps the issue is really with them, and them either needing to be quiet, asking first to clarify before coming to conclusions, and/or rephrasing what they have to say first.

Old 03-08-2023, 01:31 PM

840 posts, read 1,120,197 times
Reasons I talk to myself:

I like expert advice
I don't talk back
I can argue with somebody without them knowing

Old 03-08-2023, 02:35 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
That was one good thing about COVID - when you were wearing a mask people couldn’t see you were talking to yourself.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:51 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I used to work in an office with 3 women. When I first started, they would all talk to themselves. I guess it helped them to keep the data straight or to remember all the information that they were working on. I was very quiet and my neighbor on the other side of my cubicle would ask every now and then if I was alright.

After 6 weeks of training, I was also talking to myself in order to remember all the numbers and letters (the code) floating around in my head. It wasn't just my office either. When you walked through the building all of the clerks (all women) in various offices were talking to themselves very quietly. Somehow, the men (the bosses) never seemed to do this behavior but then again, they had a very different type of job that didn't require a lot of data entry. They were on the phone a lot talking to other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement