Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 12:22 PM

23,627 posts, read 70,582,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My wife thinks I am listening, but I am really playing drums in my head ..does that count ?
3/4 time? 4/4 time? When she is trying to say something, you might want to take five.

... and the beat goes on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 12:24 PM

106,989 posts, read 109,264,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
3/4 time? 4/4 time? When she is trying to say something, you might want to take five.

... and the beat goes on...
6/8 is my favorite …..lol

It really is.

Do you know I got pulled over once ..the cop said to me. , do you know your wife fell out of your truck about 10 blocks back ?

I said wow that is good news , I thought I was going deaf from the loud music

Old 01-29-2022, 12:38 PM

2,876 posts, read 1,824,030 times
Hard of hearing I am, being vintage, not up to date on latest technology, when I hear someone talking behind me, will turn around to see if they're talking to me.

Remember hearing this, "When talking, answering yourself, at least you get the right answers !". My Mom would say " Ain't funny McGhee ".

Donna, the Posters posting, are Very caring, trying to assist you. Perhaps sharing, has helped eased your embarrassment. For myself, uncomfortable sharing with someone. They told me I talked too much ! Realized they only wanted me to listen, they too live by themselves.

Isolate more as well, must remember only my Lord has power over me. Need to let go, I'm a worthy person as are you Donna. Thank you for your Thread.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:55 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,700,290 times
https://www.nbcnews.com/better/healt...-it-ncna918091

Old 01-29-2022, 01:07 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I didn’t start this post just because of the woman who approached me in the store, I was planning on posting it before that happened. When she approached me, I was volunteering at a local animal shelter thrift store and probably said out loud what needed to be done and she overheard me. But I was embarrassed, especially when she wanted to know what level I was.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with talking to yourself, but it’s a habit that I would like to get control over. Whether it’s a form of OCD or not, I don’t feel I need a therapist to help me with this, so please stop suggesting it. I had a good friend with severe OCD, and being around her, I picked up some of her quirks, especially repeating something in a conversation. I am very familiar with OCD, and most of us tend to obsess if something is on our mind.

I am doing better today not talking to myself, but now I am humming. LOL
I don't think you are mentally ill or have OCD either (I do, just not the hand-washing/obsessive cleaning version popular in TV and movies).

It's a habit, like you said.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:26 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,804,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And for those of us who have been talking to ourselves since we were spring chickens?
If it's something that's been going on since youth, then it's nothing to worry about.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:38 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,311,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
This as a great article, I especially relate to this part.

“ “If we speak out loud, it forces us to slow down our thoughts and process them differently because we engage the language centers of our brain,” explains Dr. Nicolosi. “By talking to ourselves we become more deliberate, and this creates a slower process to think, feel and act, instead of being bombarded by our thoughts.”

Yesterday I had a uncomfortable conversation with a friend. When we ended the conversation, I needed to sort out my feelings. Since I live alone, I have no one to listen to me. If I keep my thoughts in my head, then I will continue to obsess, but if I say it out loud, it helps me clear my head, as if someone is listening to me. Actually talking to myself helps me clear my head faster and make sense of things. The only problem is that I am so used to doing this, that it comes out in public sometimes and I don’t want that to happen. Wearing a mask hasn’t helped because it makes it easier to go unnoticed, or so I thought.
Donna

Old 01-29-2022, 01:44 PM

66 posts, read 38,428 times
My mom always said that its okay to talk to yourself, but, when you start answering yourself back, it's a problem.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:51 PM

12,080 posts, read 8,479,970 times
OP, I feel sorry that you had that experience in public. Totally inappropriate and intrusive of her. Argh!

I talk to myself quite a bit too. There are two new cats in the house and they seem to enjoy it quite a bit. Think I'm paying attention to them.

DH says, "What?" I answer, "Oh nothing. I'm talking to myself." He asks, "Are you listening?" I mutter under my breath, "Yeah, I'm the only one who ever does." A satisfying ritual.

I don't think I do it in public but I know I do in the car. Who doesn't? DH fusses up a storm talking to other drivers who can't hear him.

I was questioning whether I should tell you it's okay not to feel embarrassed about it but then I remember someone glancing over at the stoplight and seeing me running my mouth. Yes, I guess I do feel a bit foolish about it.

It does work really well though for that absentminded habit of going into another room to get something and when you get there having forgotten what you got up for. Now I just say, "Scissors, scissors, scissors" until I get to where I'm going. Then I ask myself, "Why am I saying "Scissors, scissors, scissors" to myself?"

"Old age ain't for sissies." Bette Davis

Old 01-29-2022, 01:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,598,375 times
Despite some articles stating it is okay, I think it is loony (or looney), eccentric, and indicative of being unbalanced and having mental problems, especially when done in public, but also when done alone.

I know this dissenting opinion will cause an uproar and striking out against the opinion.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-29-2022 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement