Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 07:06 PM

7,774 posts, read 3,798,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
My '91 still has a landline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
My '89 just sends up smoke signals.
My 79 uses a rotary phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 07:07 PM

7,774 posts, read 3,798,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Astounding to read the Consumer Reports article and find out some manufacturers were still selling new cars with 3G technology as late as 2020 and 2021. What the heck!?
Automobile manufacturers can source the 3G cell parts for pennies. 4 G parts costs dollars.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:09 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Mine is even older, a 1st or 2nd generation Forester. When I bought my Subaru, I wanted a car I could still be driving 10 years later.....well, 20 years later and still going strong.

This thing about cruise control has be wondering if that has vastly "improved" or do you just set it with a push of a button when you reach the desired speed?

Back up cameras have me wondering. Right now with the Forester, each week, I drive out with the trash dumpster stuffed in the back and the rear hatch up and open. So where would the backup camera go, if there was one? Would it let me drive with the hatch open?

The F-250 is younger but still, I think everything on it is local. Keyless entry with a key pad on the door. RF key. Radio of AM-FM with a CD player.

I do still have my Motorola flip phone, sitting in the desk, that line awaiting its next mission. I suppose its final usefulness is about to be useless so I might want to upgrade it to a smart phone.....to sit around, waiting its next mission.

You mean like the Batmobile?
Yes you can drive with the hatch open. The camera points to the sky in that case.

The camera only comes on when car is shifted into Reverse.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:57 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Nearly all cars sold since the late 1980's are fuel injected and have some sort of computer to control the engine. Of course, nowadays there are a number of different computers in cars doing all sorts of things.

I think 1981 was last year for new non-computer cars. Some new cars with carburetors to like 1991 or 1992, but they were computer controlled carburetors. For all intents and purposes, carbs disappeared by mid 80s and car companies went to throttle body injection, which if you were using computer anyway was simpler and more efficient in both cost and function. Tuned properly non-computer traditional carb could get good gas mileage. But they were an anolog compromise, you start trying to make them also do super low emissions (as determined by EPA)) and then you lose fuel mileage. (Nobody has ever explained to me how burning more fuel to do the same work somehow pollutes less???) But EPA set the percentages of certain pollutants in exhaust stream, not TOTAL POLLUTION EXPELLED. Seriously, you burn more fuel to do same amount work, you create more TOTAL pollution, simple as that.

My 89 came with computer controlled Hitachi carb with the bushel basket of black spaghetti (vacuum tubing) surrounding it. Can we say COMPLICATED?, fuel injection has nothing on this mess. When it stopped working and new ones impossible to find, least for less than I paid for the car, I made an adapter and installed an aftermarket all mechanical Weber carb I had saved from an old VW I had in 70s. Same gas mileage. Think I rebuilt it once maybe ten years ago. Those old Weber carbs were pretty impressive in their efficiency (some called them the poor mans fuel injection), it was getting them dialed in that first time that took some effort. I got away with it cause for whatever reason the distributor in my car still had vacuum advance. Yes came that way from factory. Most computer cars, the ignition advance was controlled by the computer.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:08 AM

880 posts, read 564,432 times
For those asking... cellular service in a car is only used for things like:

1 - Updating software (getting you the newest maps, firmware, etc.)
2 - Providing location services and communications with things like SOS and OnStar
3 - Any "internet-connected" features, such as on-board wifi, or streaming services.

- Your on-board GPS (if you have one) will still work. It just won't get newer maps.
- Your Sirius / XM radio will still work (if you are subscribed to it).
- Your car will still run and drive, and everything will continue to function as it has previously, except for what I mentioned above.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Yes you can drive with the hatch open. The camera points to the sky in that case.

The camera only comes on when car is shifted into Reverse.

Well, that is how I have to get out of the garage, in reverse, use the dumbo ears side mirrors to see. Just as long as the car can still go.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:26 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
My 79 uses a rotary phone.
Aw, you mean you didn't get the upgrade to touch-tone!

The more they add gizmo s, the more I'm wondering if stealthrabit doesn't have the right idea.

Best

Old 02-02-2022, 04:54 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,655,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
For those asking... cellular service in a car is only used for things like:

1 - Updating software (getting you the newest maps, firmware, etc.)
2 - Providing location services and communications with things like SOS and OnStar
3 - Any "internet-connected" features, such as on-board wifi, or streaming services.

- Your on-board GPS (if you have one) will still work. It just won't get newer maps.
- Your Sirius / XM radio will still work (if you are subscribed to it).
- Your car will still run and drive, and everything will continue to function as it has previously, except for what I mentioned above.

The major manufacturers have been making engines and building cars for how long now? I get needing to update maps for navigation, as streets do change and new ones are built. But firmware upgrades for the engine and other things? What, you sold me a car you haven't fully tested?

Old 02-02-2022, 05:10 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We still have a 2001 Highlander. It’s got no Gs, but it has a 6 CD player and the memories of my grand babies.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:17 PM

15,424 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The major manufacturers have been making engines and building cars for how long now? I get needing to update maps for navigation, as streets do change and new ones are built. But firmware upgrades for the engine and other things? What, you sold me a car you haven't fully tested?
No matter how much testing you do, at some point, someone will do something so far off the wall that no one ever thought to test it. Or, let's say they allow different oxygenate than ethanol. That might require reprogramming. There are any number of reasons the engine, transmission, etc programming might need to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement