Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2022, 03:34 PM

6,486 posts, read 3,178,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, things haven't really "changed a bit". There may be more chargers in Denver, where you are, but that's not the case everywhere.

You all say "Well WalMart and Kohl's have installed chargers" but I have yet to see either with them.

Chargers won't be installed anywhere, by businesses or most governments, until critical mass is reached. Even then for businesses there will be a lot of sharp pencils involved due to the cost.
Same situation where I live. Secondly, you plug in your car, while you go in to shop. What's to stop some creep from messing with the connection, while the car is out of your sight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 03:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,973,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Same situation where I live. Secondly, you plug in your car, while you go in to shop. What's to stop some creep from messing with the connection, while the car is out of your sight?
Good question. Or parking next to your car and removing the plug from your car and plugging into his own car.

Question. How do these "public" chargers charge you? Do they take credit cards? Does the fee depend on how much electricity you use? Or amount of time you are plugged in?

Old 02-03-2022, 03:44 PM

45,492 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Good question. Or parking next to your car and removing the plug from your car and plugging into his own car.

Question. How do these "public" chargers charge you? Do they take credit cards? Does the fee depend on how much electricity you use? Or amount of time you are plugged in?
Ours use an App (Chargepoint) for payment. That's a common one in this area.

https://www.northbeachmd.org/green-t...hicle-charging

Old 02-03-2022, 04:43 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,551,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Can you imagine a huge Walmart parking lot with charging capability at each parking spot. Ain't going to happen.
It doesn't need to.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:47 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,551,296 times
Quote:

Chargers won't be installed anywhere, by businesses or most governments, until critical mass is reached. Even then for businesses there will be a lot of sharp pencils involved due to the cost.
Chargers don't need to be "everywhere" (I think you meant that), any more than gas stations need to be "everywhere". You may need to drive a few miles to find a gas station. You might need to drive a few miles to find a charging station.

So many new vehicles in the future, this is an exciting time to be a car owner.

Rivian, Fisker, Lucid, Atlis, and the legacy automakers, to name a few, all rolling out an EV fleet soon.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:09 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,800,740 times
Quote:

You all say "Well WalMart and Kohl's have installed chargers" but I have yet to see either with them.

Well, maybe not everywhere, but these were installed 18 months ago. Vancouver, WA 192nd Walmart.
Attached Thumbnails
On the automotive forum many are convinced that electric cars are the future-img_20220203_160310__01.jpg  

Old 02-03-2022, 05:23 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,368,209 times
This pipe dream is so many years away. The technology is not even close. Batteries are terrible. Charging times are unacceptable. People want to fill up in 3 minutes like we have for 100 years. Who the hell is going to wait 30 minutes to charge up? There will be thousands of dead cars all over the roads because they didn’t plan their charges in advanced. People are busy as hell now. They will never change their habits. And paying $5k to 10k for a battery that may or may not burst in flames and torch the drivers is not going to cut the mustard. I’m not holding my breathe. Enough of this green BS. And what is happening with the millions upon millions of cars out there today? Are they suddenly going to be swallowed up by the earth and disappear? So much for this ridiculous green world when we have to junk 100 million gas burning cars into landfills. Such hypocrisy! And if anyone thinks that the government being behind this venture makes it any better, you are surely in for a let down.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:26 PM

45,492 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Chargers don't need to be "everywhere" (I think you meant that), any more than gas stations need to be "everywhere". You may need to drive a few miles to find a gas station. You might need to drive a few miles to find a charging station.

So many new vehicles in the future, this is an exciting time to be a car owner.

Rivian, Fisker, Lucid, Atlis, and the legacy automakers, to name a few, all rolling out an EV fleet soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, maybe not everywhere, but these were installed 18 months ago. Vancouver, WA 192nd Walmart.
I meant critical mass of EVs. Businesses won't install them until the number of people coming to their stores in them reaches XX that ensures a return on the investment.

As far as driving a few miles to a charging station, OK. But the charge time there is a hang up. You're right, I might have to drive a few miles to a gas station (actually two blocks) but I'm in and out in five minutes.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:56 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,973,761 times
Quote:
I meant critical mass of EVs. Businesses won't install them until the number of people coming to their stores in them reaches XX that ensures a return on the investment.

As far as driving a few miles to a charging station, OK. But the charge time there is a hang up. You're right, I might have to drive a few miles to a gas station (actually two blocks) but I'm in and out in five minutes.
I think the major stores and shopping malls will install charging stations as a way to bring in more customers. They will start with a few and gradually increase as more and more people get EVs.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:20 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,682 times
I have 2006 beloved Prius that is still chugging along. I am now in the process of ordering a new plug-in model.
Not an all-electric vehicle, but at least heading in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement